About those giant rabbits...

Started by bill, April 10, 2007, 09:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill

North Korean Officials to Kim Jong Il: "We bought you some giant rabbits for breeding..."

"but we eated them."  :cry

Alright, it's "Allegedly", and it's in the Register, so take with several barrels of salt. Still damn funny, though.

xHaZxMaTx

QuoteI was due to go and inspect the animals and look at the facility. They kept delaying the trip. I would have liked to go.
It's North Korea, what'd he expect? :/

bill

Visiting North Korea isn't totally out of the question, though it's very difficult for an American.

Brunhidden

i have the feeling they are dead, but chances are the cause of death was rampant stupidity instead of butchery.

i can see it now, the pitifull underling trying to explain to his supperior as to why the bunnies have all died. such as

"we thought they LIKED eating dirt"
"nobody told us they needed water"
"its a goddamned jungle! where the hell do you think we can find grass and  leaves for them! its not like theres a grocer down the corner!"
"apperantly they dont make very good consript soldiers, the survivors have been courtmarshaled"

QuoteI feel pretty, oh so pretty!
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Zedd

Why not eating themselfs..It will help the population over there alot better ^^

Brunhidden

they already did that. in the early to mid 90s the famine was so bad that some koreans resorted to eating children. this was chosen before anyone even thought of questioning their government, which shows you how much control they have.

sadly human meat, while nutritious, is very unhealthy. you eat beef raw or rare because theres very few parasites and diseases that both cows and humans can catch, you eat pork very well done because many of the parasites can be carried by humans. eating humans means that you will become sickly and die quickly due to acquiring every single parasite and disease your meal carries, which even thorough cooking may often miss.

most cannibal cultures only ate humans in ceremonies, infrequently, and usually with great care. and they STILL were rife with all kinds of funky diseases, one in particular had a ceremony which involved poking the brains of the dead, and pretty much everyone died from something weird you can only catch from brain tissue.

QuoteYummy yummy yummy I've got love in my tummy and I feel like loving you.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... eg, BSE... (just to name one)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

EvilIguana966

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 11, 2007, 06:07:23 AM
... eg, BSE... (just to name one)

Offhand, without resorting to wikipedia, I think the disease he is inferring is Kuru.  It's very closely related to BSE (mad cow disease) but obviously exists in human nerve tissue rather than bovine. 

Alondro

BSE, Kuru, KVJ, scrapie... all are names for the same disease.  They're caused by a malformed version of the prion precursor protein, which is the first prion discovered and proven to be a contagious agent (others, mostly plant forms, have been found now).  It isn't a lifeform, and it doesn't even 'replicate' to spread.  Instead, it acts enzymatically on succeptible polymorphisms of the prion precursor and twists its form into the same pathogenic shape.

Prions are incredible resistant to heat, denaturing agents, proteplytic enzymes, radiation, and oxidation.  They've been found to endure in the ground for decades.  Essentially, they're the ultimate neurotoxin.  Even a single copy that finds its way into the brain will eventually be fatal as it transforms the normal protein.

Have a nice day everybody!   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Nimrods Son

so it's just a molecule or what? is it anorganic?

superluser

Quote from: Angantyr on April 11, 2007, 02:52:04 PMso it's just a molecule or what? is it anorganic?

It's a peptide.  I don't know if you can call it a protein, due to it being misfolded, but peptides are organic macromolecules.

So there you go.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zorro

Prions are not super poisons.  You really have to have the right genes to make you susceptible to a particular prion.  Prions are also involved with long term memory in the brain, non-disease causing prions.

Alondro

Quote from: Zorro on April 12, 2007, 12:45:46 AM
Prions are not super poisons.  You really have to have the right genes to make you susceptible to a particular prion.  Prions are also involved with long term memory in the brain, non-disease causing prions.

Not certain genes, certain polymorphisms of the same gene, the prion precursor.  The risky allele is carried by a large percentage of the population.  And yes, memory is one of the primary functions of the normal-shaped protein.  The prion is the same amino acid sequence, just in a different tertiary structure, which causes it to have different functional activity.

They are super-poisons if you consider dosage to those vulnerable.  One molecule has the potential to be fatal.  Looked at that way, they are the most lethal toxins.  What other chemical compound (not including viruses, which teeter on the border between living and non-living, plus have genetic material which prions do not have as they are only a single peptide) can do that?   ;)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif