Would you put your cashcard in this?

Started by Tapewolf, March 31, 2007, 02:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Seen this afternoon at Sainsburys in Cwmbran.  I'm not even sure I want to put my card in a working NCR machine anymore...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Aridas

because they apparently borrowed a background from a certain something?

ITOS

This generic comment was brought to you by:

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on March 31, 2007, 02:32:14 PM
because they apparently borrowed a background from a certain something?

They're using that certain something.  The frontend app has crashed.  Too bad you can't see the mouse pointer in this version of the photo.

Zedd

Tapewolf

Quote from: Zedd on March 31, 2007, 02:44:24 PM
Your kidding me arentcha Jack? :erk

I actually went straight back home to get my camera.

I've never liked NCR since one of their earlier efforts bluescreened on me and ate my card around 2001.  It was running NT4 workstation then.  Judging by the Windows-For-Teletubbies backdrop, they've upgraded to XP Home or something :rolleyes

Here's the full-res version, you can just about see the mouse pointer in the middle of the screen.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/scraps/cnv00022.jpg

(And no, my name is not really Jakob)

Aridas

Zedd

Dought no one is gonna forgive people for this

Reese Tora

I had to clean up the picture before I could make out the mouse pointer in the hi-rez version. :erk (no, I mean wipe the dust off of my monitor :P )

wow, I'm glad my bank's ATM is by a different company

Though i'm glad because it means the machines don't bluescreen.  As a node in a closed network(which is what ATMs are), Windows' vulnerabilities are largely inaccessable to malicious hackers.

Of course, that doesn't preclude the insertion of malicios code through a buffer overrun by reprogramming the magnetic strip on a card, but it takes a talented hacker to figure out how to do that. (A talented hacker, which is not what most of the scammers and script kiddies, who are 99% of what you have to watch out for out there, are.)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

llearch n'n'daCorna

Interestingly, I know someone who used to work on repairing ATMs for a while.

He reckoned they had someone leave the company, somewhat disgruntled. Apparently they'd (the guys at the company) worked out that if you take a standard swipe card, of the same sort of thing as a bank card is made out of, but blank, and wrote the equivalent of an End Of File marker to it... then put it into an ATM...

... the ATM shuts down. And spits out the card, too.

Apparently the ex-employee took one of these cards with him. I'm told he got over 80 ATMs in Auckland before they caught him....

(note: I last spoke to the guy about ten years ago, and it wouldn't surprise me to hear they've fixed the fault since then. Of course, it also wouldn't surprise me too much to find it still there, but still...)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears