2013/04/08 [DMFA #1392] My kingdom for a maniacal laugh...

Started by xom, April 08, 2013, 02:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

It-Or-Whatever-I-Am

Speaking about electronics and various other wire based technology, it makes me wonder how Furrae gains electricity, is it through means similar to here (Power plants, solar power, Dams, ect)  or is it through means similar to how per say the Taurs get their power through a magical mean (Though theirs seems to be for sustenance)
I am known as it, because I have no designation outside that and I would rather it stay like that.

Otherwise Have a good day Sir/Ma'am.

TacticalError

Maybe a charged crystal with some kind of transformer that gets it from 'absurdly powerful lightning magic' voltage to 'phone charger' voltage?

It-Or-Whatever-I-Am

Quote from: TacticalError on April 11, 2013, 09:39:33 AM
Maybe a charged crystal with some kind of transformer that gets it from 'absurdly powerful lightning magic' voltage to 'phone charger' voltage?

Thats kinda what I was thinking, I was just wondering if there was any canon proof of it.
I am known as it, because I have no designation outside that and I would rather it stay like that.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Tezkat on April 10, 2013, 05:14:20 PM

True. Though I wonder if the technology of Furrae wouldn't naturally develop ways to exploit features of the magic-nature interaction rather than fighting it--after all, magic is a normal and fundamental part of the world's physics rather than a special hostile environment. It's not like engineers there would build a magic vacuum to develop their toys and then figure out how to make them magic resistant. As Jyrras said, magic is everywhere in everything. That's just business as usual. Just as modern semiconductor tech takes advantage of all sorts of weird idiosyncrasies in the quantum world, there may be all sorts of interesting optimizations possible that make use of the magic permeating the world... with science! :3

and then there is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle limiting our (electronics) technology to a minimum transistor size of 3-4 NM-s, But we can get around this with quantum Computing, perhaps they can use magic on the atomic level to compute number to get around interference by magic, much like we use the electromagnetic force currently in computers.
(My theory is that magic is basically a fundamental force of that universe, that creatures have evolved to harness)

(credit: Gabi)

It-Or-Whatever-I-Am

Quote(My theory is that magic is basically a fundamental force of that universe, that creatures have evolved to harness)

Personally I think this theory makes a lot of sense, it's kinda like how something like gravity (bad example but best I've got) is something we're used to and build things that work with it naturally.

Ignuus66

Quote from: It-Or-Whatever-I-Am on April 11, 2013, 03:24:04 PM
Quote(My theory is that magic is basically a fundamental force of that universe, that creatures have evolved to harness)

Personally I think this theory makes a lot of sense, it's kinda like how something like gravity (bad example but best I've got) is something we're used to and build things that work with it naturally.
Another example is how many birds and sea creatures rely on Electromagnetic force to navigate.

Perhaps at the subatomic level magic works much like the electromagnetic/higgs field, and only certain particles interact with it, however these particles also interact with other forces. Purifying something of magic means removing all the particles that interact with the backround magic field.

(credit: Gabi)

It-Or-Whatever-I-Am

QuotePerhaps at the subatomic level magic works much like the electromagnetic/higgs field, and only certain particles interact with it, however these particles also interact with other forces. Purifying something of magic means removing all the particles that interact with the backround magic field.

And that is what Jyrass possibly was having trouble with earlier with not being able to make something totally without magic.

Edit: Me and my lack of reading over...
Edit of an Edit: Derp