11/18/11 [DMFA #1264] - Meanwhile, at the Hall of Jyrras

Started by Ross, November 17, 2011, 09:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross

Ah, Academic slap fights!  My favorite are when ornithologists use crisscrossed scientific names as insults (A friend of mine loves to do that).

I'm surprised Jyrras isn't interested in Astronomy.  You'd think one wishing to benefit society would consider space travel, and ponder if there was life on another world that he could contact....

...And in other news, passed out Lorenda is cute Lorenda  :mowwink

justacritic

Ugh, I always wanted to go star watching but city lighting killed that idea  :cry
Abel and Jyrras star watching with Lorenda asleep? And Abel smiling with a minimum of snark?
Wow Amber if this what a fall down the stairs gets your little cubi, I cringe to think what a happier moment than this will cost.

Surzsha

Lorenda's passed out, huh?

*slowly pulls out the marker.*  >:3

Prroul

Four pages? Pish-posh. Any barely-literate Sophomore can hack out four pages with verifiable references.

To truly be able to wax verbose on the lack of wit, intellect, personal hygiene, and pedigree of another scientist whose opinions differ from your requires at least ten TIMES that many pages. A dissertation would be laughed out of academia were it anything less than fifty pages.

After all, if sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, and sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology, then sufficiently advanced anything is indistinguishable from BS. Especially when it is sufficiently advanced BS to begin with. And, of course, it takes the most advanced BS to be able to win grant money, so anyone who is actually a member of academia is well capable of waxing eloquent and verbose on nearly any topic conceivable in order to obtain said grant money.

Which means every member of academia is fully capable of spouting off dissertations on such insane things as 'the effect the climatological changes during a rotational period on Trichophyton mentagrophytes var. interdigitale, and the subsequent impact on the quality of life it impacts'

Which translates to 'the effect of the changing of the seasons has on Athlete's Foot and how it impacts people who get it'

So if one can wax eloquent and verbose on such an inane topic which the scientist at hand does not really give two farts about... imagine how many pages one could go on a topic which is actually near and dear to their heart, which is to say, calling a rival a poopyhead.

This message brought to you by: People Against Stuffy Shirts and Gratuitous Academic Stuff

joshofspam

Nice Amber!

Don't think I didn't notice that 1, 2, 3, bottles going from Abel to Lorenda. I take it as a homage to the song of how many drinks it takes to hit the floor.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Baal Hadad

Oh, for crying....

Abel, astrology is not a science!  :P

VAE

Quote from: Baal Hadad on November 18, 2011, 12:08:29 AM
Oh, for crying....

Not in our world, anyways ... no idea how Furrae works.
*is thinking Star Pact warlocks from DnD 4.0*
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

e_voyager

Quote from: VAE on November 18, 2011, 12:49:58 AM
Oh, for crying....

a valid point consider it's how a lot of ships used to navigate.
still for me four pagers and verified souses is too much work to call someone a poopyhead. 
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Tarakona

Cute as always. Sleeping Lorenda, especially so. Just wanted to wish Amber a safe and enjoyable trip. Watch for running deer!

(Envisioning a comic with the stereotypical "deer crossing" sign which actually indicates a bunch of deer training for track) I live in a rural area and it would not surprise me.

Kipiru

So Lorenda is the heaviest drinker of the group (pun not intended)  :mowdizzy

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: e_voyager on November 18, 2011, 01:33:39 AM
Oh, for crying....

still for me four pagers and verified souses is too much work to call someone a poopyhead. 

No, e. No, it's not. Astronomy is used to navigate, and is the study of the stars and their place in the night sky. Astrology is the study of what star signs you were born under and how that impacts on all the myriad things that happen in your life and how best you can behave to take advantage of the changes.

The former is measurable, quantifiable, identifiable, and repeatable. The latter is merely identifiable and ignorable.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mao

Sorry, I hate to pick apart your post, but I have to add: a souse (at least, how that would sound) is another word for a drunk.  Which, given the state I was often in when I wrote papers in University, might be fair to use...

Alondro

Quote from: Prroul on November 17, 2011, 10:24:47 PM
Which means every member of academia is fully capable of spouting off dissertations on such insane things as 'the effect the climatological changes during a rotational period on Trichophyton mentagrophytes var. interdigitale, and the subsequent impact on the quality of life it impacts'

Which translates to 'the effect of the changing of the seasons has on Athlete's Foot and how it impacts people who get it'

:eek  THIS... IS... IMPORTANT!!!  I give the study $1 BILLION!!  *has athelete's foot*

It's almost as important as 'Quantification of the effect of variagated prismatic diffracted light propagated via high-velocity low-altitude maneuvers upon the archane latent abilities of adolescent Equinus equestrianus and the resultant localized spontaneous bilateral dermatitic patterning'!!

;)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

VAE

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 18, 2011, 04:28:40 AM
Oh, for crying....

No, e. No, it's not. Astronomy is used to navigate, and is the study of the stars and their place in the night sky. Astrology is the study of what star signs you were born under and how that impacts on all the myriad things that happen in your life and how best you can behave to take advantage of the changes.

The former is measurable, quantifiable, identifiable, and repeatable. The latter is merely identifiable and ignorable.

Who says the second works in Furrae in the same way that here? I mean, it's hard to imagine an universe where the stupid brand of astrology (that is, direct, personal influences of star signs  whatever on people) work, but well in theory, there could be variable potential fields of types that don't exist in our universe that'd have both an effect on "heavenly bodies" and some aspect of Furraean life. After all, magic exists there, suggesting an assload of physics we don't have.
As astrology (the sleazy, con artist grandpa of astronomy) , was mostly an equal mix of empirical and asspull, and well, the technology in Furrae is just about beginning to reach our levels, it's actually possible that their astrology consists of a bunch of generalised rules of when to do stuff (say , plant plants or smelt iron) based on observations of the heavens, and that actually works.
What's even odder, look at phoenix A types - they can somehow predict the future, suggesting there are some mechanisms for it... gazing at the sky might very well offer a limited, very broad perspective on that, too.

I have no idea what sort of physics would be needed to make that work, something horrendously complicated, but then , the same can be said for conjuring a red deathray through a choice of words.
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: VAE on November 18, 2011, 10:31:13 AM
Who says the second works in Furrae in the same way that here? I mean, it's hard to imagine an universe where the stupid brand of astrology (that is, direct, personal influences of star signs  whatever on people) work, but well in theory, there could be variable potential fields of types that don't exist in our universe that'd have both an effect on "heavenly bodies" and some aspect of Furraean life. After all, magic exists there, suggesting an assload of physics we don't have.
As astrology (the sleazy, con artist grandpa of astronomy) , was mostly an equal mix of empirical and asspull, and well, the technology in Furrae is just about beginning to reach our levels, it's actually possible that their astrology consists of a bunch of generalised rules of when to do stuff (say , plant plants or smelt iron) based on observations of the heavens, and that actually works.
What's even odder, look at phoenix A types - they can somehow predict the future, suggesting there are some mechanisms for it... gazing at the sky might very well offer a limited, very broad perspective on that, too.

I have no idea what sort of physics would be needed to make that work, something horrendously complicated, but then , the same can be said for conjuring a red deathray through a choice of words.

*wince* Okay, you make a valid, if painful, point. However, _my_ point still stands; whether or nor astrology works on Furrae, it's not used to navigate ships.

Other than, possibly, in a general, "you should move bales of hay this month, it's more profitable than other cargo" way.

VAE

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 18, 2011, 10:37:30 AM
Who says the second works in Furrae in the same way that here? I mean, it's hard to imagine an universe where the stupid brand of astrology (that is, direct, personal influences of star signs  whatever on people) work, but well in theory, there could be variable potential fields of types that don't exist in our universe that'd have both an effect on "heavenly bodies" and some aspect of Furraean life. After all, magic exists there, suggesting an assload of physics we don't have.

*wince* Okay, you make a valid, if painful, point. However, _my_ point still stands; whether or nor astrology works on Furrae, it's not used to navigate ships.

Other than, possibly, in a general, "you should move bales of hay this month, it's more profitable than other cargo" way.

That, I can perfectly agree with.

EDIT: Unless the planet's geometry changes subtly based on the above.
Saphroneth

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: VAE on November 18, 2011, 10:39:13 AM

You, sir, have an evil mind.

I admire that, in a friend.

VAE

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 18, 2011, 11:21:52 AM
Quote from: VAE on November 18, 2011, 10:39:13 AM

You, sir, have an evil mind.

I admire that, in a friend.

Thank you, I try.
Saphroneth

lilpuppy23

justacritic

Quote from: lilpuppy23 on November 18, 2011, 06:24:56 PM
Those Patio chairs look very comfortable :D
for certain positions at least *snicker, snicker*

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Kipiru on November 18, 2011, 02:40:55 AM
So Lorenda is the heaviest drinker of the group (pun not intended)  :mowdizzy

She obviously takes after her mother, who apparently isn't as much of a lightweight as she looks  :mowwink
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Baal Hadad

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 18, 2011, 04:28:40 AM
Oh, for crying....

...What have I started...?   :erk

Infranscia

Heh, admittedly related to the last panel, I tend to lean toward Jyrras' line of reasoning. X3  If you want to say someone's wrong/someone (possibly yourself) is right (in a mean way or otherwise), at least have reason behind you, I say.

I'm going to admit to being bad at astronomy, but I'm still curious what the constellations might be and such.  ... No pressure to do more stuff intended. ^_^;  Just a curiosity.

Also, looks like Lorenda probably healed Abel.
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

joshofspam

But this does beg the question, just how many poopyhead essays has Jyrras written and does he have a reputation for it.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Naldru

The fact that magic exists in Furrae indicates that the laws of physics are different than in our world.  It is therefore possible that the stars are different than in our world and might be capable of being sources of magic and luck.  On this basis, astrology might actually have meaning since the stars and planets might actually affect items on the world of Furrae.

To: Baal Hadad
Please note that brief comments in this forum have lead to discussions that have stretched for years.  (e.g.:  Aniz and Edward, are they or aren't they)
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Balance

Quote from: Infranscia on November 19, 2011, 01:16:32 AMAlso, looks like Lorenda probably healed Abel.
I imagine she did what she could. The leg he has stretched out is the one with the sprain, and it sort of looks like he's got that foot elevated slightly, so it may not be completely healed. The "elevation" may just be me misinterpreting the creases his foot is making in the lounge, though.

He does look rather relaxed, and even relatively happy. As entertaining as it is to watch him freak out and hurt himself, it's also nice to see him enjoying himself a bit sometimes. I think being around Jyrras is good for him. Being around Jyrras's house on the other hand....