Microsoft offers to buy Yahoo

Started by Sufurin Scorda, February 01, 2008, 06:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sufurin Scorda

[link]

What'll you guys do if Yahoo's bought by Microsoft? Microsoft'd own Flickr, Del.icio.us, Geocities, etc.

I'm backing up my del.icio.us bookmarks. Just in case. 'Cuz I'm not gonna lose hundreds of links 'cuz of Microsoft screwing up or something.

Edit: Thanks, Tapewolf. I saw something about it on a blog I read but I couldn't find the page I read, so I just googled it.

Tapewolf

Close my Yahoo Mail account.

**EDIT**

I think you want this link, as the other one is from mid-2006 :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Reese Tora

I'd say... thank goodness I don't have any accounts having anything to do with yahoo(I lie, I have YIM for work purposes), and I hope MS doesn't pick up the habit of selling it's hotmail account addresses(I have one) to spammers the way Yahoo sold my companies email list durring the brief stint where they were hosting us.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

bill

As a supporter of satanism, I am in full agreement of this move.

Azlan

As the High Preceptor of the Elder Gods, I completely support this move.  Cthulhu be praised.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

superluser

I don't see the benefit for Yahoo!.

They've got a $38B market cap, and they're probably going to go up over the next week or so, given these rumors.  criMosoft is only offering $45B, which seems a bit light for an offer.

I still remember when Yahoo was in college.  IMDb, as well.

Edit:

Yeah, the offer from MS is $31/share.  Yahoo is currently at $28/share (that's certainly inflated because of the buy offer), and if it passes $31, MS can't offer incentive to sell out.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Alondro

Microsoft is stealing my plans for world domination.

I guess my only choice is to buy Microsoft...  >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Valynth

Quote from: Alondro on February 02, 2008, 02:05:30 PM

Considering Microsoft has over 65% of the world's money, that would be quite an achievement.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Kenji

Quote from: Valynth on February 03, 2008, 06:12:45 PM
Quote from: Alondro on February 02, 2008, 02:05:30 PM

Considering Microsoft has over 65% of the world's money, that would be quite an achievement.

For a cubi and a goddess? That's two kinds of godmoding. ;P

superluser

Quote from: Valynth on February 03, 2008, 06:12:45 PMConsidering Microsoft has over 65% of the world's money, that would be quite an achievement.

Uh...where do you get that?

MSFT's market cap is $283.40B, their revenue is $57.90B, and their cash on hand is $19B.

By comparison, the GDP for California alone is $1.5T.  MS has less than 19% of that.

M1 is presently at around $1.3T.  MS has less than 22% of that.

(and that's just looking at market cap, which is kind of like looking at the Powerball jackpot to see what your ticket is worth)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?