Uh.

Started by redcake, June 27, 2006, 01:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redcake

Erm. I know peanuts about Castlevania. Really. Except for the fact that it has really cool artwork.

So I would appreciate it if you guys can fill me in on this series.

Thank you very much.

Pleased to meet everyone.

Xuzaf D

-Dracula dies and turns into an androgynous emo teen with oversized weapons.
-Simon Belmont likes to have severe surgical makeovers for every game he stars in.
-Dracula always has a follower or twenty come out of the wood work to revive him.
-Dracula almost always does "that rpg thing" where he has 2+ forms.
-Everybody in the games looks like Alucard now. He's the bastard of Dracula who stars in yaoi films.
-Old Castlevania involved running a gauntlet of traps and enemies and making it to a boss.
-New Castlevania involves getting lost and stumbling onto the next boss.
-Dante from Devil May Cry is not in any Castlevania, so don't ask.
-Same as above only Sephiroth is Dante and Devil May Cry is Final Fantasy.

Nimrods Son

Everybody says "Symphony of the Night" is great, but if it's price really will be long-term loss of tha whole complexity in the series, I wonder if it really is.
The world of Castlevania is ruled by IGA nowadays, the serie's current producer, who claims to have invented that stuff though he hasn't.
Once upon a time, Cv had different timelines and storystrands all forming a big whole, but now, some of these have been "decanonized" by IGA, and there's only one team left working on the series. That's why the gameplay hasn't evolved a little bit for years.
We're currently in a state where the real "main line" of the series isn't taken any further while the "Dracula X"-side series has evolved into the "Advanced IGA Castleroid", which all of the current GBA / DS titles are part of.

That's my opinion, though. I especially miss the clean simplicity and the level design of the early platformers (Cv - Super Cv IV, + "Adventure, the old Gameboy sideline).

You might perhaps not really care about these things.
Best title to start with could be Aria of Sorrow if you're a total noob to the series, or CV III for the old school glamour.