Would this be evil or cruel?

Started by thegayhare, June 28, 2014, 12:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

Well while dubbing around on the net I found designs on how to build an airsoft/nerf style rocket launcher.

It's basically a single shot compressed air cannon that can fire a ball over 100 yards that happens to resemble a law.  I want to build one, and possibly a second based on my steampunk rocket rifle design.   And the first thing I wanna do is load up one of my dogs Kong balls and fire it down range and see him chase it.   So is that too mean to the pooch

ZacAttac21

Are you kidding? That sounds hilarious. As long as the dog doesn't have any mobility problems (arthritis, etc.).

thegayhare

Well he has had knee surgery but he's fully recover runs like an idiot and goes for 3 mile walks with me so I know he can handle it

llearch n'n'daCorna

That sounds like an awesome game. Pick a big field, fire a ball, dog returns with the ball. I reckon the dog will think it's a hoot - unless it makes loud noises, and the dog doesn't like same.

But yeah, once the dog gets the idea (the ball may move fast enough that he doesn't realise it's out there at first), he should be overjoyed.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

thegayhare

Lol

It's actually pretty quiet its a chuff  of air but not bad at all.

I had that worry too that be might not notice the ball at first but after a few times he'll get the idea.

I took a midnight walk last night and happened to "stumble" on enough pvc pip to make atleast 4 of them

So I'm gonna make a law as proof of concept.  Then I'll try to make the rocket rifle,  I have a busted preserve washer and I figure I can use the trigger pressure valves fore the rifle.   Then if I have enough left over I might make a fallout 3 rock-it launcher

This is way more complex then my single shot model but it'll show youhow it sounds

http://youtu.be/cBveQRO1xMU

llearch n'n'daCorna

That's pretty quiet. Good for animals.

Somewhat concerned about the "high pressure welding" part, though - I presume you're not doing anything like welding things yourself, right?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

thegayhare

Yeah. No welding for me.  It's all screw together plumbing fixtures with Teflon tape and pvc primer.  And for the compressed air its going to be the little single use co2 cartridges.  

Though I have seen some people who made there own hand pump compression chambers

I've come up with an interesting breach loader for my rocket rifle.   Though I may have to fab my own wooden stock