opening the gallery of food prawnography

Started by Brunhidden, February 15, 2014, 10:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brunhidden

thought id get another 'community' thing going, a place for anyone to post pictures of particularly piquant paletables theyve made

this isnt pintrest, id preffer we post pictures of food we actually produced or know the person who produced it, not just things we saw that look cool

first up i shall give not only a selection of stuff i made for my daughters themed birthday but a guide of the kind of things thats nice to share

-why it was made
-is there something special about it
-was it a good idea or did it have some problem
-how to make it if you care to share

cake for my daughters 9th birthday

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Brunhidden/DSCN6154.jpg

nothing particularly special, despicable me themed party. frosted with 'dream whip', basically whipped cream i made myself on the spot. it does not color all that well and kinda soft and sloppy but id rather not load 9 year olds up with MORE sugar then already

cookies brought to her class as part of her birthday treat at school

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Brunhidden/DSCN6144.jpg

plain cutout sugar cookies, you can get the recipe from Alton Brown as its the one he used on the show 'good eats'. i used the bottom of a salad dressing bottle instead of a cookie cutter, cut around it as a template with a butter knife and the indentation of the bottle bottom was basically a suction cup to lift them up. best. cookie. cutter. ever. decorated with royal icing, i got comments about 'why are there brush marks on the cookies?' i used a paintbrush, thats why

cupcakes brought for her birthday treat at girlscouts

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Brunhidden/DSCN6196.jpg

okay, this one was a straight up bad idea. on my way to deliver it to after school girlscout meeting i was mobbed by kids who asked if they could have one, a teacher tried to divert me to set them down in the teachers lounge assuring me they would deliver them, and uppon wading through the horde to get to the girlscout meeting was treated to a very loud 'aieeee'. oh, and they had toothpicks in them

how to make- use toothpicks to fasten a donut hole on top of a normal cupcake, frost with piping bag

EARPLUGS NEXT TIME!

also my wife made a pinata so we could fill it ourselves with custom stuff (mardi gras beads and kitkats mostly)

how to- paper mache two inflated balloons of roughly the same size, when dry pop them and stitch them together with ribon. loosely attached hatch in the groin with a large number of ribons just stuck into holes, with ONE ribon knotted on the inside (in retrospect tie it to a washer, a strong tug could pull the knot through without popping the hatch) unless you preffer to just have a whacking model. glue stick and tissue paper for the frilly stuff. the goggles and legs are made of old wrapping paper tube painted.

okay, what do you guys have to share?
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Your problem with the delivery could have been resolved by putting a bowl over the top of the plate, so that the contents were not visible. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Brunhidden

next, a bit of a twist

i made tofu and cucumber sushi, some people who know me might have had their minds blown..... it kept falling appart and im pretty sure its not supposed to be so beefy thick, also i learned seaweed wraps have the same effect on my wife that iron has to faeries

anyone else want to post things they're proud of yet?
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Brunhidden on March 10, 2014, 05:15:55 AM
also i learned seaweed wraps have the same effect on my wife that iron has to faeries

... amuse them a little, and have little to no actual effect? ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears