Culinary Tome (13 recipies) Baked Pork Schnitzel with Spinach and Potato Pancake

Started by thegayhare, January 22, 2014, 01:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

Check the bottom post for the newest recipies

Prep Work For a Culinary Tome

Hi all

some folks may remember I've been planning a cook book for a while... I even have some wonderful bunny art to go in it

But I was having trouble transcribing the recipies so I could do it book form.  

But than I joined FACC  the cooking club on fa and have been posting some recipies and it's helped be get them down on paper, err or electronic text anyway.

So I was wondering if anyone would mind me posting here too.  

Im not sure if the art section was the right place but I figured it'll be updated more often then the other art thread I have and that might get annoying in one of the other sections.

What I'm hoping if for people to check my recipies, maybe try them out and tell me if you think they'd be something to include in a book?

to start with to show you folks what you might be in for I figured I'd share  this one

Jamaican chicken stew

Ingredients

1 cup uncooked long-grain rice, (I prefer a short grain)

2 teaspoons olive oil

1 cup chopped onion

1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic

1 pound skinned, boned chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces

1 teaspoon curry powder

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper

1/4 cup dry red wine

1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained

Preparation

Prepare rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. (I love having a dedicated rice cooker)

While rice cooks, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Combine chicken and the next 5 ingredients (chicken through black pepper) in a bowl. Add chicken mixture to pan; sauté 4 minutes. Stir in wine, beans, and tomatoes. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Serve over rice.

Sprocketsdance

Ooo that looks/sounds good. Cooking is an art so no worries there. I'll let you know if we get a chance to try this out :)

So, what is your process for developing recipes?

Darkmoon

Well now I want to make jamaican stew...
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

thegayhare

Ohh I hope you like it Darkmoon

Quote from: Sprocketsdance on January 22, 2014, 04:27:28 PM
Ooo that looks/sounds good. Cooking is an art so no worries there. I'll let you know if we get a chance to try this out :)

So, what is your process for developing recipes?

Oh I know but alot of people don't see it as Art art... LOL

And well for developing a recipe it all depends one what your trying to get out of it

Sometimes I take an existing recipe and modify it,  I do this alot with baked goods starting with like the tollhouse cookie recipe and using that to make my banana cookies.   In other cases I take a basic Idea and expand on it, taking a basic baked pork chop and experimenting with new spice mixes.   Or find a very flexible base and use that as a spring board,  I do this alot with beef stew, the basic stew recipe  makes a tasty meal but add viniger, or mae ploy(Im a huge propanant of Mae Ploy its a sweet thai chilli sauce) , or mustered powder how bout we thicken it with a sour cream sauce... I honestly don't think I make beef stew the same way twice

Sweet & Sour Kielbasa

2 pounds chopped kielbasa (or more if you like)
1/3-cup sugar
1/2-cup brown sugar
4 tsp prepared mustard powder
4 tsp corn starch (dissolved in vinegar)
1 cup white vinegar
1 can (16 oz) cranberry jelly

Mix sugars, mustard, vinegar, and jelly in a saucepot
Heat on low to medium heat
Cook, stirring slowly, until well blended
Add meat and heat till hot
Let sit on a low simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes

Serving Suggestions
goes well over egg noodle or rice

Variations
chicken or pork can easily be substituted for kielbasa

thegayhare

I'm posting this one cause I'm actually making it tonight

My mom had a rough day yesterday and requested this since I had some chicken thawed.   I was gonna make pulled chicken sandwiches but mom wanted Schwarma

Chicken Shawarma

Chicken:
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 16 (3-inch) strips
Sauce:
1/2 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt (such as Fage)
2 tablespoons tahini
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove, minced
Remaining ingredients:
Cooking spray
4 (6-inch) pitas
1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
8 (1/4-inch-thick) tomato slices

Preparation

1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. To prepare chicken, combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add chicken to bowl; toss well to coat. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes.
3. To prepare sauce, combine yogurt and next 4 ingredients (through 1 garlic clove), stirring with a whisk.
4. Thread 2 chicken strips onto each of 8 (12-inch) skewers. Place kebabs on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side or until done.
5. Place pitas on grill rack; grill 1 minute on each side or until lightly toasted. Place 1 pita on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1/4 cup lettuce and 2 tomato slices. Top each serving with 4 chicken pieces; drizzle each serving with 2 tablespoons sauce.

If you dont have a grill or your in the winter you can use your ovens broiler

I also used a flat bread rather then a pita, but tonight we'll have it in crispy pitas

but this is really good. course I don't like letuce or tomato so on mine I had spinach and shredded carrots

thegayhare

Chicken
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile powder
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs ( I used breast meat in this batch since the thighs were still frozen)
cooking spray

sauce
2 teaspoon canola oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar (how come you taste so good)
1 teaspoon chile powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons cider vinegar

1 preheat your grill to medium-high, (I did this on a stove top with a covered pan)
2 prepare chicken by combining first six ingredients and rub evenly over chicken
3 spray pan or grill and cook covered for 15 minutes, turning occasionally
4 let stand for 5 minutes before shredding, by hand or with two forks which ever you are comfortable

5 while chicken is cooking prepare sauce. Heat canola oil over medium heat in medium sauce pan, add onion and cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally
6 stir in next 6 ingredients up to red pepper, and cook for 30 seconds
7 stir in ketchup and vinegar, bring to boil and reduce heat. simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally
8 stir in chicken and cook for two minutes

serve on toasted bulkie rolls or just bread if your out of bulkies

thegayhare

This is a wonderful dish, and the filling in the pork chop is so tasty I'm going to start using it in everything, hell I'm gonna use it as sandwich spread

stuffed feta and spinich pork chops

Ingredients

Cooking spray
4 garlic cloves, minced and divided
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) block-style fat-free cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
4 (4-ounce) boneless center-cut loin pork chops, trimmed
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

Preparation

Preheat broiler.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 2 garlic cloves; sauté 1 minute. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and spinach; sauté until moisture evaporates. Remove from heat; stir in cheeses and rind.
Cut a horizontal slit through thickest portion of each pork chop to form a pocket. Stuff about 1/4 cup spinach mixture into each pocket. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper over pork. Arrange pork on the rack of a broiler pan or roasting pan coated with cooking spray; place rack in pan. Combine remaining 2 garlic cloves, juice, mustard, and oregano in a bowl; stir well. Brush half of mustard mixture over pork. Broil 6 minutes; turn pork. Brush remaining mixture over pork; broil 2 minutes or until done.

thegayhare

With the superbowl comming up I figured I'd upload a few tastey bites you can make for your party

Spinach and Cheese Wontons

Cooking spray
6 garlic cloves, minced and divided
1 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
3 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
3/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
9 tablespoons  block-style fat-free cream cheese
1 package wonton wraps

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add garlic cloves; sauté 1 minute. Add  salt,  pepper, and spinach; sauté until moisture evaporates. Remove from heat; stir in cheeses
Once mixed fill wraps, add one teaspoon filling to the center of wrapper,  then fold each corner up till them meet in the center.
repeat until all filling us used
Bake on ungreased cooking sheet for 7-8 minutes

General Tso's Chicken

Ingredients

1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 to 2 teaspoons of sesame seeds
pinch of salt and white pepper
1 pound skinless boneless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces

For sauce:

1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup soy sauce (I'd recommend low salt)
1 tablespoon sweet thai chili sauce (Mae Ploy orriginal recipie called for siarache but this gives the heat and is cut with some nice sweet)  
3 tablespoons sugar (I would actually recommend more- like 1/4 cup)
1 tablespoon rice vinegar or white vinegar*
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for frying
2 tablespoons very finely chopped fresh ginger (used the jarred stuff, its a godsend)
2 large garlic cloves, minced

4 scallions, thinly sliced

In a medium bowl, combine the toasted sesame oil with the egg white, 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce and 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch. Add the chicken, stirring to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the chicken broth with the chile-garlic sauce, sugar, ginger, vinegar and the remaining 1/4 cup of soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. This will take about 15 - 20 minutes to cook down on a medium-high heat, then you just simmer. When in doubt, add maybe a teaspoon of water (or more broth) if the sauce starts to get too thick.

In a large saucepan, heat the 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the ginger and garlic and cook over high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir the broth mixture, add it to the pan and cook until thickened and glossy, about 3 minutes. Keep the sauce warm over low heat.

In a large, deep skillet, heat 1/2 inch of oil until shimmering. Carefully add the chicken, one piece at a time, and fry over high heat, turning once or twice, until very browned and crisp, about 4 minutes.

Drain the chicken on paper towels and immediately add to the sauce along with the scallions. Cook just until coated, about 30 seconds. Serve right away

Darkmoon

In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

thegayhare

they are...  those few were made using the left over filling from my stuffed pork chops
I baked them just so I could have the picture.  they were gone before they even cooled

tomarrow I'm making a big batch

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Darkmoon on February 01, 2014, 01:47:18 PM
The wontons do look tasty.

Tasty enough to make me regret living in a hotel room.

Although, to be scrupulously honest, I still probably wouldn't have gone out of my way to make them at home. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

thegayhare

which is why everyone needs a live in bunny to cook for them

llearch n'n'daCorna

thegayhare

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 02, 2014, 01:13:02 AM
... jugged hare?

no thanks I don't drink

Well I was inspired to share todays recipe because an episode of phineas and ferb has been rattling around in my brain since friday and I need to make it

http://youtu.be/wMhXJj93Gmg
here is the song  check it out

this is a variation of the recipe I learned from an octopus
www.8legged.com

TheGayHare's 3 Meat Mini Meatloaf

Ingredients:

2 pounds meat loaf mix:
(1 pound ground chuck, ½ pound ground pork, ½ pound ground turkey)
¾ cup fresh, toasted breadcrumbs
1/2 cup french's fried onions
6-8 bacon slices
Prepared Meat Loaf Glaze (see Glaze recipe)
2 large eggs
1 tbsp mustard powder
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp dried oregano
½ cup half & half (or whole milk)

What to do:
STEP 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
STEP 2: Combine eggs with chives, mustard, salt, pepper, nutmeg, red pepper flakes, cumin, basil, oregano, and half & half. Add egg mixture to meat in a large bowl along with breadcrumbs and onions mix with fingers until evenly blended and not sticking to bowl. (If sticky, add a little more liquid.)
STEP 3: Place meat mix on a rack on a shallow, baking pan, and form loaves approximately 5 inches long, 2 inches wide and 2 inches high (you can eyeball it). Brush on half of glaze (reserve rest for dipping or additional glazing during last 15 minutes) and add bacon strips, crosswise, tucking ends beneath the loaf.
STEP 4: Bake loaves until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F (about 40 minutes). Cool at least 10 minutes. Serve with extra glaze dipping/gravy sauce.

Meat Loaf Glaze

Ingredients:
½ cup ketchup
4 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp white vinegar

What to do:
STEP 1: Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
STEP 2: Spread half of glaze over prepared loaf before cooking. Remainder can be added to the meatloaf 15 minutes before it's done, for a thicker glaze, or simmered over medium heat to produce a tasty dipping sauce.

and using the above recipe I experimented and made a meat cake

using 3 inch spring forms I shaped three patties just used to shape the cakes baked on a rack to let the grease drip free glazed and covered with bacon

after they were baked I arranged the patties into tiers with a dollop of whipped mashed potatoes between them I then attempted to frost the cake with the rest of the whipped mashed potatoes

It didn't come out quite right next time I'd leave off the bacon and I didn't use the right potatoes so the whipped potatoes were too thin

it all tasted great though

llearch n'n'daCorna

thegayhare

I'll admit this is the first time I made this, the original recipe called for Pancetta and marscapone cheeses but stated that thick sliced bacon and cream cheese could be substituted Since thats much cheaper and easier to locate I simply used that. I also increased the bacon in the recipie.

the sauce is so good. I have since made it twice more with porkchops and rice and its just as good

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic minced or thinly sliced
4 ounces thick sliced bacon choped
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
3/8 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup unsalted chicken stock
2 tablespoon cream cheese
2 table spoons water
2 table spoons all purpose flour
1 cup frozen peas, thawed

1. Heat large skillet over medium heat. add oil, swirl to coat, add garlic and cook for 2 minutes stirring frequently. remove garlic with slotted spoon and set aside on a plat with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Increase to medium high heat, add bacon and saute for 4 minutes or untill crisp. Use slotted spoon to remove bacon and set aside with garlic.

2. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, saute for 4 minutes on each side, remove chicken from pan, add wine to deglaze, making sure to loosen and browned bits. cook for 3 minutes until the liquid evaporates. Return chicken to the pan and add stock. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 6 minutes. remove chicken from pan.

3. Add cream cheese stirring with a whisk until melted and smooth. Combine water and flour mixing with whisk to form a paste. stir flour mixture into pan and bring to to boil cook for 2 minutes. stir in garlic, bacon and peas cook for 1 minute further. Serve sauce over chicken

As I said I used this sauce for rice and pork chops simply leave out the steps involving the cooking of the chicken

thegayhare

I know its been a while  but I made a classic fair ground food tonight. 

I wanted to do beans and weenies but we'd done that so often I wanted to try something new

so I made corn dogs to go with the baked beans

Corn Dogs

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 quart vegetable oil for frying
2 (16 ounce) packages beef frankfurters
16 wooden skewers

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, sugar and baking powder. Stir in eggs and milk.
2. Preheat oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Insert wooden skewers into frankfurters. Roll frankfurters in batter until well coated.
3. Fry 2 or 3 corn dogs at a time until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

If there is any left over batter feel free to fry up the batter as hushpuppies

thegayhare

I had fun with this one its a recipie I wanted to try for a while

and it would be easy to change the pork to chicken or beef as you like

Homemade Tamales

Ingredients:
Tamale Filling:
1 1/4 pounds pork loin
1 large onion, halved
1 clove garlic
4 dried California chile pods
2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Tamale Dough:
2 cups masa harina
1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup lard
1 (8 ounce) package dried corn husks (if you can't find corn husks bakers parchment will do or in a real pinch aluminum foil)
1 cup sour cream
Directions:
1. Place pork into a Dutch oven with onion and garlic, and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until the meat is cooked through, about 2 hours.
2. Use rubber gloves to remove stems and seeds from the chile pods. Place chiles in a saucepan with 2 cups of water. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, then remove from heat to cool. Transfer the chiles and water to a blender and blend until smooth. Strain the mixture, stir in salt, and set aside. Shred the cooked meat and mix in one cup of the chile sauce.
3. Soak the corn husks in a bowl of warm water. In a large bowl, beat the lard with a tablespoon of the broth until fluffy. Combine the masa harina, baking powder and salt; stir into the lard mixture, adding more broth as necessary to form a spongy dough.
4. Spread the dough out over the corn husks to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness. Place one tablespoon of the meat filling into the center. Fold the sides of the husks in toward the center and place in a steamer. Steam for 1 hour.

If you don't have a steamer you can use your oven. set the oven to 200 degrees. boil 4 cups of water on the stove top, pour water into casserole dish and place on bottom rack of oven on place tamales on baking sheet above the water and steam for 1 hour

5. Remove tamales from husks and drizzle remaining chile sauce over. Top with sour cream. For a creamy sauce, mix sour cream into the chile sauce.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ah, so _that_ is how you make tamales. Interesting, I'd only ever heard of them mentioned in passing, and had identified them as a food item of some sort.

Sounds tasty. Hrm. Now I'm hungry. >.>

thegayhare

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 10, 2014, 08:51:59 AM
Ah, so _that_ is how you make tamales. Interesting, I'd only ever heard of them mentioned in passing, and had identified them as a food item of some sort.

Sounds tasty. Hrm. Now I'm hungry. >.>

they are but its been pointed out I made them wrong I folded the dough over differently  apparently your supposed to roll them over like a ttube open on each end

llearch n'n'daCorna

Well, that's a shame. I'm sure they tasted just fine anyway.

And it's the taste test that counts, right?

thegayhare

thegayhare

his ones fun and tasty

Baked Pork Schnitzel (top left)

Ingredients

4 boneless pork loin chops (about 5 to 6 ounces each)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
4 cups plain dried bread crumbs

Directions

Begin by placing each chop between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and gently pounding them out with the flat side of a meat tenderizer until they are an even 1/4-inch thick.

Put the flour in a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper. Whisk the eggs and milk in another shallow dish and season with salt and pepper. Put the bread crumbs in a third dish and again season with salt and pepper. Lightly dredge each piece of pork in flour, then in the egg and finally into the bread crumbs, pressing the bread crumbs onto the pork gently so they have a nice even coating.

Lay the breaded pork cutlets in a single layer on a plate lined with parchment and refrigerate, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes to allow the coating to dry out a little and adhere to the pork.

Bake on rack for 20 minutes at 400 degrees

Spinach and Potato Pancakes (top right)

Ingredients:
4 large potatoes
1/2 yellow onion
1 cup chopped spinach
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
ground black pepper to taste
2 cups vegetable oil for frying

Directions:
1. Finely grate potatoes with onion into a large bowl. Drain off any excess liquid. Then mix in spinach

2. Mix in egg, salt, and black pepper. Add enough flour to make mixture thick, about 2 to 4 tablespoons all together.

3. Turn oven to low, about 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).

4. Heat 1/4 inch oil in the bottom of a heavy skillet over medium high heat. Drop two or three 1/4 cup mounds into hot oil, and flatten to make 1/2 inch thick pancakes. Fry, turning once, until golden brown. Transfer to paper towel lined plates to drain, and keep warm in low oven until serving time. Repeat until all potato mixture is used.