Run program: Evacuation

Started by Brunhidden, November 04, 2013, 01:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brunhidden

hey there, its me, the bad news brun

no im not hoping for a pity party, although my history reads like thats more common than birthday parties

to prove im not all gloom before i get to the unpleasantries i will preemptively distract with photos from my recent art gallery showing, provided i figured out how to size the damned things

no, no i dont know how to size the damned things

well, it turns out that about two weeks ago while hanging plastic window insulation in my apartment i detected mold in some parts of the apartment. initially i thought it was no big deal and prepared to clean, however this was not doable. as my wife and elder daughter are allergic to mold we reached the decision that we had to evacuate, considering my wifes bed was harboring nice green growths inside and my daughters dresser had greyish blotches along the underside of each drawer- explaining their rampant health problems for the last three months, and what we had assumed was pinkeye in my other daughter.

so, as the only one -presumably- unaffected i have spent the last week and probably at least one or two weeks to come trying to salvage furniture and belongings from our mold infested apartment. we just yesterday moved our essentials to a new slightly more expensive apartment, we had been living in my mother-in-laws living room for about five days. the new place is a bedroom smaller, but all around a nicer place and has three times the counter space in the kitchen and even a dishwasher so im not that upset. however we have to date lost at least two dressers, several boots, two leather coats, my wife and i have lost our bed, and an assortment of items under suspicion i have yet to scrub with vinegar and vodka in my scant free time. also we have no internet, so theres that

hopefully i will return shortly with a project i have been working on. no, not the gallery thing, something for here for the fun of anyone who cares to join in. i hope to see some of you once its running
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

VAE

Uh, I suspect fumigation with certain chemicals could help. Also locally applying copper and/or iron sulphate solution, 's what we did usually.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: VAE on November 04, 2013, 01:51:14 PM
Uh, I suspect fumigation with certain chemicals could help. Also locally applying copper and/or iron sulphate solution, 's what we did usually.

Ouch. How is that going to help, then? (seriously - I'm not saying it won't, I'm straight out curious; my own experience with mold and fungus is to dry the area out, rather than leaving it damp... and that's usually enough, if you keep up with it...)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

VAE

Copper sulphate especially (and IIRC iron sulphate too) are poisonous to most fungi.
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Brunhidden

contrary to popular conception (apparently) i am not capable of breaking bad levels of chemical wizzardry, im more of a sociology/criminology major
(although a wandering astrophysicist {im dead serious} requested i attend a science/technology club to present a air cannon made from a bucket, a shower curtain, duct tape, and probably fire {this is a real thing thats happening friday} to show off to someone interviewing the club he hosts)

the issue isnt 'ah, mold, kill it and everything will be fine', the whole concept of a mold problem is that mold technically exists everywhere, but becomes a problem when the conditions for it to grow and form colonies exist. thats what is happening, and spraying sulfur on my kids stuffed animal heap isnt going to fix the issue that somewhere along the line our partially subterranean apartment developed a moisture problem that allows mold to grow in a cartoonishly problematic way.  unless the conditions for mold to grow are taken away ( which is no- landlord denies it as she didnt see any leaks, and apperantly does not understand mold because she poked a greyish fuzzy lump of it with her finger and wiped it on her pants while saying 'dont know what your problem is') the mold will still persist, but that means it wont follow us either so thats why i am individually cleaning or dumping items and moving them to a dry place (new apartment) while trying not to succumb to the oppressive atmosphere of a spore riddled house or the non-toxic yet odiforous cleaning agents i use (ive tapered off using precious vodka and switched to cheaper but less effective vinegar, i reek like bad pickles and so does what little furniture i still own)

all the same i appreciate the attempts to help, but naming off random poisons for me to roll around in is less then helpful

VAE

Copper sulphate isn't particularly poisonous AFAIK (and sold freely) and is a well known thing to use - hell, you spray vineyards with bordeaux mixture which contains it against perenospora. And like I said, we were using it on fungus outbreaks in our bathroom a couple years ago. If anything, a solution is more effective than vinegar.

Sure, it won't solve the underlying problem, but well, that's as you said hard to do without drying the place up.
Saphroneth

Tuyu

Quote from: VAE on November 05, 2013, 02:01:54 PM
Copper sulphate isn't particularly poisonous AFAIK (and sold freely) and is a well known thing to use...
IOW, you will probably find versions of it at your local hardware store. Depending on how the store is organized, you may find it among the cleaning products, plumbing parts, or alongside the paint or tile grout, and there are versions you'll find among the swimming pool/spa chemicals.

Brunhidden

okay, clearing out the old place is about 90% done, i should hopefully be finished by the weekend

damage report

lost items
- queen sized mattress
- queen sized bedframe/drawers/headboard setup
- childrens mattress
- 3 dressers
- couch
- rocking recliner easy chair
- bookshelf
- oversize leather bracers (i have basically popeye forearms)
- a large box of fabrics
- a few posters
- nightstand of horrors
- unknown number of assorted books, mostly children's books
- laptop bag full of candy instead of a laptop

possibly lost but not confirmed
- another bookshelf
- large cloth bag for the carrying of humorously oversized architecture drawing pads
- two backpacks
- unknown number of iffy books, mostly fiction, as i have no idea how to clean a book
- sanity
- two boxes of baking supplies
- a few costumes, including my emergency pirate pants... yes, you heard me
- a small ammount of booze which may have been exposed to contaminants
- several pillows
- nightstand

luckily someone my mother in law knows was putting their own mother in an old folks home and thought it would help remove the temptation to stay of most of he furniture 'disappeared', so we are now in possession of a surprisingly hard bed, a disturbingly floral couch, and a his/hers dresser that has strangely little internal space despite its size and a very large mirror attached. fortunately i know how to get 'old people' smell off of things, but in either case it sure beats the floor

the to do list now includes getting the cable/internet set up, finding out how to dispose of large and heavy furniture, finding out how to dispose of a 40+ inch old CRT television i had been using as a table without getting a fine or a hernia, lining up gifts for shiny tree day, paying the overdue rent on the old place as i cant afford rent at both places

i shall have closing statements soon, im glad people showed interest in help.

what? nobody wanted to comment on the strange art gallery thing? would you preffer i draw something for your ammusement?

llearch n'n'daCorna

I think we were all more interested in trying to help... strange how that is. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears