Heads up! (Scanner Issue)

Started by Amber Williams, May 15, 2013, 07:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amber Williams

So...I just went to scan the next comic and well...there seems to have been a development in the ability to scan the next comic. In that my scanner may have very well become a light paperweight.

I had two tech folks run the gamut on it. From re-installing drivers. Unplugging things, re-plugging things, restarting the computer, changing the USB port, trying to install the scanner on another computer.  Right now we're in the final "leave it unplugged for a few hours and pray" test. But...it's not looking very good.

If it is dead, it pretty much means I will have to aquire a new scanner.  And more importantly it likely means I will be missing an update or two until I am able to acquire said scanner because go figure that this was a week where real life bwargh caused me to lose my buffer for a short time. (yay universe!)  I'll know for sure by tomorrow morning what the situation is.

Sorry for the inconvenience.  Bwargh.

-Ambaaargh

Tapewolf

How much is it likely to cost if replacement becomes necessary?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Amber Williams

Right now we've managed to locate an acceptable brand and model that will run about $90 bucks, prolly $100 with tax.  That's for a good brand that also happens to be in the same city where I live.  Technically we have found a few cheaper ones, but they would need to be mailed and take longer to arrive. X_x

ChaosMageX

Out of curiosity, what is the brand and model of the new scanner that you're planning to buy?

Icon by Sunblink

Amber Williams

I don't have the particular specs because it was my more tech savvy of friends who were helping me locate them, but I recall the brands were from Canon or Epson.

That said, some more relative good news is that it seems leaving the thing unplugged overnight may have been the solution it needed.  However, it does seem like my computer itself has gained a couple gremlins.  Nothing breaking down yet, but I'm keeping an eye on it.  However, like true form of me being a dimwit, I had given the next comic to a friend to take home so they could scan it and it seems something has gone wrong on that front since there are no comics waiting for me in any emails.

So it's looking very likely I may end up missing Friday anyways due to me being a giant derp.  :cry

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ew.

Well, we'll wait and see what happens. Good luck, tho.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

LoneHowler

Buy two, that way when the new one goes bonkers you'll have a spare. Of course if you do that the one will last till the end of time.
Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better
MY warp aci crappy photoshop I wish I had my tablet working
My Yappty thanks Silver :)
(hmm my sig needs updating. eeeeeh I'll do it later 07/29/06)

llearch n'n'daCorna

... or the one she has as a spare will be unlocatable when she needs it.

And when she doesn't, she'll be tripping over it all the time. >.<

Kuzma Volkov

I'm guessing up north you don't have any of those good samaritan or thrift stores to buy older/cheaper stuffs?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Kuzma Volkov on May 26, 2013, 08:43:31 PM
I'm guessing up north you don't have any of those good samaritan or thrift stores to buy older/cheaper stuffs?

For the quality that Ambaaargh needs, no. They tend to have lots of the cheaper stuff. They don't have so much of the "1200x1200 DPI, quality scan, bigger than A4" type kit.

Plus you tend to spend most of the same, and, for the amount Ambaaargh uses hers, it'll melt in six months to a year. Or much less. Heck, her current high quality one lasts barely that long. Ambaaargh is hard on her scanner, just through volume of use alone...