2013/04/23 [CM #2] Well, that is one way to sing along.....

Started by nguard, April 23, 2013, 12:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nguard

I have always wondered about the role of religion in the Mabiverse. I gathered from context that they tend to a poly-theistic, vaguely Unitarian-esqe theology. Looking forward to more exposition.
And yes, I have faked it in church if I didn't know the song or have a hymnal handy.  Fortunately, as I cannot carry a tune in a bucket, I am not often called on to sing in public.

Tapewolf

Quote from: nguard on April 23, 2013, 12:29:59 AM
I have always wondered about the role of religion in the Mabiverse. I gathered from context that they tend to a poly-theistic, vaguely Unitarian-esqe theology. Looking forward to more exposition.

Well, the religion is more the setting than the basis of the plot.  In fact it has been changed slightly - in the original story it was centred around a deity worshipped locally, but in the comic version I decided that polytheistic unitarianism would have a wider appeal.

It's interesting to note that in Jakob's little daydream he was worshipping Jesus who was considered divine because he was human.  He lapsed during his time at SAIA, though.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Eboreg

Wait a second, I thought Jakob knew who Jesus was because he was in a human world. You're telling me that Furrae has a variant of Jesus that's human as well?  :dface
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eboreg on April 23, 2013, 08:50:19 AM
Wait a second, I thought Jakob knew who Jesus was because he was in a human world. You're telling me that Furrae has a variant of Jesus that's human as well?  :dface

You'd have to ask Amber that, but there have been a lot of crucifixes in DMFA and some of the characters have said 'Jeeze'.
Whether there actually was a Jesus there or whether it's an imported religion that some people adhere to is something I'm not qualified to answer in DMFA canon.

And that is one of the reasons the topic is being dealt with in a fuzzy way during this story.  (Frankly it's really not important to it)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E