2013/04/21 [Matilda #10] Big guy finds the big crystals!

Started by ChaosMageX, April 21, 2013, 01:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosMageX

I think the title is fitting because the largest quartz crystal I ever found was named "Big Guy" by my family.  It wasn't as big as my arm, but it was still pretty big.

Anyway, back on topic, Kesserk does seem like a bit of braggart, but I wonder if he really can cash the checks his mouth writes.  Hopefully time will tell.  Also, those crystals probably aren't the only thing he brags about being big. :P

Icon by Sunblink

xom

Pride comes before the fall, or in this case the ambush.

Madd the Sane

Why hello evil shadow of ominousness. What is your plan?
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

mithril

hmm.. what do the pink crystals do i wonder?
or do they just find them pretty?

Bandersnatch

Quote from: mithril on April 21, 2013, 05:14:32 AM
hmm.. what do the pink crystals do i wonder?
or do they just find them pretty?

They probably just think they're pretty.

Also oh no omnious shadow...  :<

Tapewolf

I was a little concerned recently with Matilda, Dan and the research team all saying that the male mythos are, well, basically evil.  It occurred to me, especially if it's a hormonal thing, that if Dan and Matilda did go for it and the child was a guy, they could have a real problem child on their hands - 'Cubi impulsiveness plus runaway aggression.

But this guy seems to be a proper gentleman, so perhaps there is hope for Dan's hypothetical son.  (Though the fact that this guy seems to be okay probably means he's about to be murdered)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Bandersnatch

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 21, 2013, 08:31:02 AM(Though the fact that this guy seems to be okay probably means he's about to be murdered)

Probably? No. Definitley? Yeah.

I feel like his death will be the catalyst to the eventual banishment of Matilda.

Eboreg

Here's my guess, the other girl is Matilda's sister, the gentleman is Matilda's father, and the shadow dude is her brother.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

mithril

Quote from: Eboreg on April 21, 2013, 10:30:13 AM
Here's my guess, the other girl is Matilda's sister, the gentleman is Matilda's father, and the shadow dude is her brother.

actually.. page 8 indicates the gentleman is a suitor/boyfriend.
and the dialog implies no relation between the girls, otherwise it would be 'our brother' matilda mentions, not 'my brother'. though there might be cultural differences skewing my perception.

i'd guess the shadow dude is either matilda's father or more likely, brother.

Prroul

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 21, 2013, 08:31:02 AMBut this guy seems to be a proper gentleman, so perhaps there is hope for Dan's hypothetical son.  (Though the fact that this guy seems to be okay probably means he's about to be murdered)
I wouldn't say he's being a proper gentleman. He's grandstanding and showboating to a couple of cute ladies. Currently, there are no other males in view, so he has no one to fight with. Typical jock behavior type, when in the presence of females and no other males, you strut around like a bantam rooster. When there are males present, you proceed to attempt to thump them to prove your superiority.

And yes, I foresee him being jumped by someone with a greater sense of proper tactics to gain the upper hand. As someone once compiled into a text known as 'Prroul's Big Book of Whuparse':

• If they are dumb enough to turn their back, be smart enough to take advantage
  • Fair fights are for suckers
  • If you're standing, and they aren't, you were good enough. For today.
  • A lethal weapon is pointless without a lethal individual to wield it

Tapewolf

Quote from: Prroul on April 21, 2013, 05:23:07 PMI wouldn't say he's being a proper gentleman. He's grandstanding and showboating to a couple of cute ladies. Currently, there are no other males in view, so he has no one to fight with. Typical jock behavior type, when in the presence of females and no other males, you strut around like a bantam rooster. When there are males present, you proceed to attempt to thump them to prove your superiority.

"Let's just say females are considered more child-bearing furniture than actual members of society."
--Matilda, p.1065

...I'd say that compared that, he's being a gentleman.

killpurakat

Matilda and her friend are just that: friends. They aren't sisters. On page 8, in tiny text, she states that Kesserk wants to "fight <i>our</i> brothers" for the pair of them. Matilda only has one brother, so the other brother belongs to her friend.

Also, Matilda's father sounds like he was nice, since he didn't kill his second daughter as was the norm (stated in DMFA 1065), so not all the males of Matilda's kind are total jerks. It sounds like a product of the environment combined with a "things have always been this way" cultural attitude.

While I find the backstory fascinating, I'm also interested in how Matilda dealt with her banishment and what she did right after being banished, so I'm hoping this story includes a bit of that.

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 21, 2013, 05:31:01 PM
Quote from: Prroul on April 21, 2013, 05:23:07 PMI wouldn't say he's being a proper gentleman. He's grandstanding and showboating to a couple of cute ladies. Currently, there are no other males in view, so he has no one to fight with. Typical jock behavior type, when in the presence of females and no other males, you strut around like a bantam rooster. When there are males present, you proceed to attempt to thump them to prove your superiority.

"Let's just say females are considered more child-bearing furniture than actual members of society."
--Matilda, p.1065

As an addendum to that thought, Matilda was probably channeling a bit of a grudge when she said that line.  There was a time in many a human culture when women were looked at in much the same way, but you could still probably see times where everyone had amiable conversations like this, and you could see peaceful family lives, like we see of the BV Mythos two pages ago.

It's pretty fun to see the interacting.  I notice that Matilda's the one answering most of the conversation, though her friend seems more of a chatterbox otherwise. x3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on April 21, 2013, 07:18:14 PM
As an addendum to that thought, Matilda was probably channeling a bit of a grudge when she said that line.  There was a time in many a human culture when women were looked at in much the same way, but you could still probably see times where everyone had amiable conversations like this, and you could see peaceful family lives, like we see of the BV Mythos two pages ago.

Yeah, I was taking that into account - if it was just Matilda saying the guys suck I'd wonder if it was just her.  But if Dan and the explorers also think that, you have to wonder.  (And yes, chances are they only meet the outcast ones)

Lying Foo

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 21, 2013, 05:31:01 PM"Let's just say females are considered more child-bearing furniture than actual members of society."
--Matilda, p.1065

That doesn't mean it looks like it to a fly on the wall.  There's a kind of Stockholm Syndrome that sets in when a society gets screwed up enough.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Prroul

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 21, 2013, 05:31:01 PM

--Matilda, p.1065

Compared to raw lye, a lemon is sweet. That doesn't mean a lemon is actually sweet.

There's a very large difference between 'womanizer' and 'gentleman', regardless of what sort of comparisons may be made between 'womanizer' and 'slaver'.