Horrid accident involving my sister.

Started by Shax, February 14, 2013, 08:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shax

Nothing really new to report. They are just changing her meds. She might beable to go in for surgery soon to patch up her pelvis.

My parents haven't been home since the accident. I have hd my friends and uncle stopping by at times to check on me.

And I finally started to get some sleep.

James StarRunner

Even news of her not regressing to a worse state is still good news. And it's good you've finally slept.

Wildy

My thoughts are with the healing and recovery of your sister, and your family.

Take the advice of the many here, eat, sleep, rest, be well when you see her because normalcy, will help her heal. She cannot heal as well if she begins to worry about the health of the family around her. Be strong so you can support her healing.

Take care.

Shax

Thank you everyone for all your support. My mother was so overjoyed when I showed her this topic and she saw that it already hit over 1k in views.

Now for a bit of good news. The swelling has started to go down, and at the rate it's going, she might beable to wake up by Wednesday if all goes well. I really hope so. I was deeply worried about her. I actually had another friend go into a similar incident a few months back, but that one involved a motorcycle he was riding... And he needed his jaw rebuilt...

Anyway. It's 4am, I'm tired and about to crash. Goodnight all!

icarus

the swelling going down is EXCELLENT news, shax!!

also, when she wakes up, do we here at the board have permission to postively spam her hospital room with gifts and cards? or, well, at least send a few?

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Shax

I'd say go for it! I'm sure my parents would be overjoyed with all the supporters! But I will ask them tonight x3

Ghostwish

Anything that is even the smallest sign of recovery is a good sign. I take this from the fights my family has had with cancer over the years. Sometimes that node just sits there, not advancing or regressing at all, and it is nerve-wracking beyond any reasonable belief.

Here's hoping that the swelling vanishes entirely!

Shax

We found a small bump in the road. Her oxygen levels have went down and the doctors think its either a blood clot or pneumonia . They are taking her in for a CT scan as we speak.

In answer to your question, Icarus, my parents said that would be just find to send her cards and stuff. Just not flowers, we cannot let anything cause a reaction from her.

James StarRunner

Eep! At least the doctors are on top of that. Let's hope it's resolved quickly. Sounds like she's getting great care though and I have confidence that she will recover.

icarus

i'll paint her a card later this week and note you on FA for the address shax.

hopefully the O levels get back up where they should be...pnuemonia would be easier to treat, wouldn't it? the solution would just be antiobiotics, right? whichever it is, i hope it's the easier to treat of the two.

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Shax

Thanks bud. Things are already getting a little better for her. And apparently she has a very nice nurse looking after her. Once the card arrvies here, I'll be taking it up to the hospital, along with the others her friends have been dropping off.

The visitors for my sister is getting rather large in numbers. From students from the school, to teachers, to friends, to friends of our family. They were taking up the majority of the waiting room.

ChaosMageX

I hope your sister's oxygen levels get back to normal soon and that whatever's causing them isn't too serious and either solves itself or is easily treatable.

As for those making get well cards, does your sister have a fursona?  If so, does it look similar to yours?  Are there any references of it?

What I'm curious about is how people are getting an address to send the cards to, but then again I'm out of touch when it comes to social networking.

Icon by Sunblink

icarus

oh yeah, what sort of things does she like for cards? animals, favourite flowers, hobbies...just so we all have some starting points for cards and such. i saw something on her carepages about a recital...so i guess she has an instrument she likes?

Shax

I'll ask my parents about that later. And she's not a furry

Shax

I figured posting from the update itself for those who are not watching it would be easier.

Wow, rough day emotionally. After the previous two days of encouragement and optimism, Brianne decided to scare us today.
As you could see by the morning update, she had a good night. Right after we returned from breakfast and Tim headed home to do a few things, Bri started having issues breathing and her oxygen level dropped. Her CO2 levels also increased.
The staff had to bag (force breaths into her lungs) for several minutes and they performed a bronchoscope to look at her lungs. She had a lot of mucus making it difficult to see exactly what was happening. They suctioned out her breathing up and got a lot of 'junk' out. She was breathing easier but her oxygen (O2) levels did not come back up. As Tim pointed out, the doctors were concerned about pneumonia or a blood cot in the lung. Taking her for a CT would be risky because stimulation involved in the transport and transfer from bed to CT table and back.
To make a long story short, they decided to be agressive with antibiotics and breathing treatments very similar to asthma treatments. This lightened her respiratory load a little but sent her blood pressure and pulse skyrocketing. She also started a fever which lead to tremors (extreme shivering). According to the staff, this action is traumatic to the brain and heart. To combat that, they gave her a paralegic, in other words, they paralyzed her with medication.
As the antibiotics kicked in and the tremors stopped, things started settling down. They were able to suction out a lot of mucus and her O2 levels started up. As the O2 came up, her heart rate and blood pressure returned to normal.
It took some time to get her fever down, but this evening they have cut back on the paralegic and are weaning her off the blood pressure medication. She is breathing easy and regular again, her heart rate is back to normal as is her fever. Through all this, her IPC number off the drain stayed in the single digits. She is out of the woods again tonight.
The staff has told us that this is not unusual since she has been on her back for several days and it is not unusual for pneumonia to set in but they caught it early and seem to have it under control. They also cautioned us that while the previous days news was so good, that it is not unusual to take 2 steps forward and 1 back and she has a long way to go to full recovery.
They are still planning on the tracheostomy and stomach tube sometime tomorrow (we don't have a time yet) and the pelvis surgery by the end of the week if she tolerates tomorrow's procedures well.
It was a very emotionally exhausting day as I stated previously. While we appreciated the visitors, and support, this weekend, we were very overwhelmed but the end of the day. Please, if you do come to visit, realize that Brianne is our primary concern and we need to concentrate on her care first and foremost. Sometimes we need to just get up and walk away and sometimes we just don't feel like talking. Also realize if you come, you may not have the opportunity to see Brianne. We still need to keep her somewhat quiet and not upset her.
Please don't think we don't appreciate seeing people, it's just that sometimes we don't feel like being social. We do appreciate the support and prayers. We feel the love and truly appreciate it.
We are in the Renucci House yet tonight but are losing our room tomorrow. After that, we go back on the waiting list so we hope to resume our residence here as soon as possible. It is so nice to have a bed and shower of our own and still be near her.
With that, we will say good night and update all of you again when we see her in the morning.
Keep the prayers coming! I believe that they work!

James StarRunner

Very nice to hear they caught it early! We'll keep praying! Before you know it, you'll be talking with your sister again!

icarus

oh jeez what a harrowing day D: i hope today is better and her surgeries go well without complications. again, let us know if there's anything at all we can do, shax.

also i saw your ma posting how she felt mad today, and how she had told you earlier not to be angry. i just wanna say that it's okay for everyone to be angry a little. i mean, it's an emotional outlet. sometimes your body is just so exhausted from being worried and sad that it flips over into 'angry' mode. it's okay to blow off steam, just y'know. not at doctors or nurses or something.

(and honestly that one dude on the news story comments with the racist remarks makes ME angry on your family's behalf. why the heck is he dragging skin colour and genetics into the situation anyway? he should just be hoping for bri to recover, nto trying to sew hate...)

Ignuus66

Good thing the doctors know what they are doing! having good doctors and nurses is a very important thing, and they definitely seem to know what they are doing judging by what you are saying.

(credit: Gabi)

Brunhidden

its been said on here before that the human body is an amazing thing, its sometimes easy to forget miracles happen- people have survived events that make Bruce Willis look like Steve Urkel, ive personally done studies on survivors of bullet wounds to the skull, and really every day is a miracle for some people.

its easy to loose that hope, ive refrained from saying anything here till now because i typically am a bit of a downer with the whole 'fatalistic' thing (ive seen a good percentage of a very, very large family die slowly on hospital beds, only one of which was funny) and i doubt dark humor is exactly welcome at this point.

im reminded when i was born the doctors said i would not survive an hour, then they said i would not survive the night, then they said i would not survive a week. im nearly thirty and despite some missing bits and a few dents im glad to say proving them wrong was not all that hard to do (other doctors with a bit more optimism {and a syringe to the heart somewhere around 2 hours after birth} really did some wonders to that) and every day people survive, endure, live, and even flourish despite being given some medical documentary level horse-brownies from life

you and your sister have my respect and admiration. soldier on good people, and feel free to flip death the middle finger for me once you feel secure enough- its quite cathartic!
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Brunhidden on February 18, 2013, 11:20:16 AM
its been said on here before that the human body is an amazing thing, its sometimes easy to forget miracles happen- people have survived events that make Bruce Willis look like Steve Urkel, ive personally done studies on survivors of bullet wounds to the skull, and really every day is a miracle for some people.

its easy to loose that hope, ive refrained from saying anything here till now because i typically am a bit of a downer with the whole 'fatalistic' thing (ive seen a good percentage of a very, very large family die slowly on hospital beds, only one of which was funny) and i doubt dark humor is exactly welcome at this point.

im reminded when i was born the doctors said i would not survive an hour, then they said i would not survive the night, then they said i would not survive a week. im nearly thirty and despite some missing bits and a few dents im glad to say proving them wrong was not all that hard to do (other doctors with a bit more optimism {and a syringe to the heart somewhere around 2 hours after birth} really did some wonders to that) and every day people survive, endure, live, and even flourish despite being given some medical documentary level horse-brownies from life

you and your sister have my respect and admiration. soldier on good people, and feel free to flip death the middle finger for me once you feel secure enough- its quite cathartic!

Remember, doctors have to give the worst case scenario almost always, otherwise the family will be mad if the patient does not survive, even if it is not the doctor's fault.

(credit: Gabi)

Brunhidden

Quote from: Ignuus66 on February 18, 2013, 01:20:48 PM
Quote from: Brunhidden on February 18, 2013, 11:20:16 AM
crap i said
Remember, doctors have to give the worst case scenario almost always, otherwise the family will be mad if the patient does not survive, even if it is not the doctor's fault.

this was 'you know you can technically still abort this' talk, not exactly idle even if i was supposed to have been medically aborted a few months prior

anyhow, back to sister in recovery room, hope she has some five pounds of get well cards if she cant get flowers.... fake flowers anyone?
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Shax

The doctor just came. They just finished the procedure and all went well. Her stats stayed normal including that the icp number never went up. She is breathing with the tracheostomy and the stomach tube is ready to be fed.

We have to wait 1/2 an hour to see her and she will be very sedated still, but with the tracheostomy in, they start decreasing her sedation medication since she will be more comfortable.

Thanks for all the prayers!

Shax

As stated earlier, Brianne's procedures today went well. She has had some spikes in her ipc number tonight, her temperature is up a little and she has some pain. You could see it in her face.
She was given some additional pain medication and they have reopened the drainage tube in her brain (They had been trying so slow the drainage in hopes to remove the tube soon). After reopening her drain and the medication kicked in, she relaxed again.
Also, her lungs look and sound better but she still has a touch of pneumonia.
The staff believes she is feeling overstimulated today and wants to be left alone (her stats are very steady when she is not touched or talked to tonight), so they sent us to our room at the Renucci House for the evening. We are actually watching a movie and laying in bed.
Another CT scan is scheduled for the morning (we don't have a time yet) to check on the swelling and look for fluid build up (it was the first we heard of that). We are anxious for those results and hope it is a positive report.
Because of the pneumonia and the stimulation factor today, the staff has asked that we again keep activity in her room to a minimum. This is for her benefit and we only want what will be best for her.
They are still hoping to perform the repair of her pelvis late in the week. It depends on how things go the next couple days.
Thanks for your continued support.

Shax

A picture of my sister in the hospital room...

Pic might be hard for some to see.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

icarus

she's actually looking pretty good, considering what happened to her. from your ma's posts she also seems aware of family in the room too and that's a REALLY good sign.

stay strong fuzzy cubi.

Shax

Don't have much time right now. Gonna go up to visit.

Bit of bad news, the swelling started up again, there's a bit of brain sheering now...

James StarRunner

Brain sheering is not fun stuff. But they caught it early. Let's hope after this step back, she can take another two forward and finally recover..

Shax

Nothing really new to report. They might have her pelvic surgery done soon.

I'm gonna visit her today since my grandparents got pulled away and I could not got yesterday.

On a side note I want to thank everyone who have been sending, love, prayers, and support toward my sister, my family,and myself. It's means so much to us.

Also. To answer some questions including my sisters hobbies. She's really into music, I don't mean listening I mean playing it. I have seen her go through so many different kinds of instruments through the years, she likes to try all sorts of things.

ChaosMageX

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that her pelvic surgery goes well.  So far from what you've told us she's been lucky enough to have exceptional doctors and nurses, so I'm not worried.

Quote from: Shax on February 20, 2013, 06:36:32 AM
Also. To answer some questions including my sisters hobbies. She's really into music, I don't mean listening I mean playing it. I have seen her go through so many different kinds of instruments through the years, she likes to try all sorts of things.

What instruments does she know how to play well, and what instruments has she just dabbled in?

Icon by Sunblink

Shax

She's good with a piccolo, sax, flute, and keyboard/piano