2013/01/28 [DMFA #1373] - She's as cold as Ice

Started by llearch n'n'daCorna, January 27, 2013, 11:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignuus66

Quote from: MT Hazard on January 31, 2013, 02:07:28 PM
Quote from: Prroul on January 31, 2013, 09:13:01 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on January 31, 2013, 06:54:02 AM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on January 31, 2013, 05:38:23 AM
I guess the conservation of energy in this universe is nonexistant, or Cubi are the perfect recyclers.

What, with self-feeding?  No, I think Amber said that the actual energy comes from somewhere external, and the emotional energy is more like a catalyst to access it or something.
I believe she compared it to emotions being like sunlight and 'cubi are capable of photosynthesis, at one point.

I'm pretty sure they feed on magic, but can't do directly. Eating emotions is just their way of consuming magic.
that poses an interesting question, what IS magic? is it the side effect of a fundemental force of the DMFA universe that being have evolved to use? or am I just overthinking?

(credit: Gabi)

Jasae Bushae

Quote from: Ignuus66 on January 31, 2013, 02:26:52 PM
Quote from: MT Hazard on January 31, 2013, 02:07:28 PM
Quote from: Prroul on January 31, 2013, 09:13:01 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on January 31, 2013, 06:54:02 AM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on January 31, 2013, 05:38:23 AM
I guess the conservation of energy in this universe is nonexistant, or Cubi are the perfect recyclers.

What, with self-feeding?  No, I think Amber said that the actual energy comes from somewhere external, and the emotional energy is more like a catalyst to access it or something.
I believe she compared it to emotions being like sunlight and 'cubi are capable of photosynthesis, at one point.

I'm pretty sure they feed on magic, but can't do directly. Eating emotions is just their way of consuming magic.
that poses an interesting question, what IS magic? is it the side effect of a fundemental force of the DMFA universe that being have evolved to use? or am I just overthinking?
hmm... http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1173.php well the average rock is filled with a fair chunk of magic and apparently its possible (though difficult) to make things with less magic...which reminds me sorta of someone talking about trying to get impurities out of metal
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

Zebra Bug

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 31, 2013, 01:21:31 PM
Quote from: Zebra Bug on January 31, 2013, 12:19:22 PM
No, I'm not confusing any of them with eachother. I just thought I remember someone in that situation (Dan, DP...) refer to multiple Mythos which I took to mean Shanna and Anna. But like I said, I could be mistaken, and likely am.  :mowtongue

Ah. It's also entirely possible, if not probably, that _Dan_ was mistaken. After all, he didn't recognise Hannah as Undead until after her head came off... so he's not the most observant. ;-]

Edit: Also, there were two Mythos who did the initial kidnapping. Maybe those two?
That is totally possibly what happened. XD

Boy. I took you out of this world and put you back into it. Don't make me try to repeat step one. -Kria

Alondro

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 29, 2013, 10:24:23 AM
Emotional loops are fairly short.  Like 10-30 minute short before usually they fizzle...and also they tend to be easy to knock out of loop.  It's more on the principle of folks who get angry and "see red" where for a brief bit of time they just don't think and just react and cycle around  in a thing.  And more importantly they tend to make folks do incredibly short-sighted stupid things because they cannot think of anything outside of the immediate. 

I've had emotional loops that last for weeks.  I can hyper-activate specific brain regions as long as I choose!  The downside is the physiological burnout that eventually occurrs.  After a month, I'm totally drained and need another month to recover.

Also, when using a RAEG loop (I activate that for hard outdoor labor), I risk severely damaging my muscles and tendons, as pain sensation and neuromuscular restrictions on contractile force are overridden (yes, it is rather like the Primary Lotus from "Naruto"..)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

A.J.

Quote from: Alondro on February 01, 2013, 10:38:19 AM
I've had emotional loops that last for weeks.  I can hyper-activate specific brain regions as long as I choose!  The downside is the physiological burnout that eventually occurrs.  After a month, I'm totally drained and need another month to recover.

Also, when using a RAEG loop (I activate that for hard outdoor labor), I risk severely damaging my muscles and tendons, as pain sensation and neuromuscular restrictions on contractile force are overridden (yes, it is rather like the Primary Lotus from "Naruto"..)

Y'know, I sometimes forget that guys like you do exist.

But yes, some people have the capability to "shut off" or "turn on" certain parts of their brains. It is a rather rair quality, but not impossible. However, as Alondro stated, there are some serious risks involved with some aspects of this ability, and some facets are easier to use and control than others. Take, for instance, the ability to voluntarily cut off one's pain receptors. It's difficult to learn, but otherwise a very simple task once the process is known. But, as stated in the quote above, the hyper-activation of any part of the brain poses serious risks.

Scientists say we only use about 10% of our brain at any given time. That is because that is the absolute limit of safety that our body can handle. Any more, and we run the risk of our brain, well, bursting into flame. Each action we make, from breathing to running, sets off a series of electrical synapses that run through our nervous system up to our brain, where most of said synapses occur. If we were to push our brains to functioning past that 10% limit, without reprocussion, on a daily basis, we'd literally fry our brains. That's why Alondro has to rest after he performs each hyper-activaion.

Of course, for your sake, Al, I'd suggest you do this more sparingly from now on, and try to limit your loops to about 10-30 minutes. I may not be some neuro-scientist, but it sounds like you could be causing some serious damage to your brain :<
Crowning Achievements in DMFA History #1: Panel 3 of comic #102; #2: Panel 7 of comic #1334

Treesong

Going back briefly to Dee fiddling with the curtains--I thought those blue appendages were Matilda working her way into the Intertubes until today, when they didn't disappear along with the side-story frame. Too many fingers anyway.

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Spirit Studios on February 01, 2013, 02:27:36 PM
Quote from: Alondro on February 01, 2013, 10:38:19 AM
I've had emotional loops that last for weeks.  I can hyper-activate specific brain regions as long as I choose!  The downside is the physiological burnout that eventually occurrs.  After a month, I'm totally drained and need another month to recover.

Y'know, I sometimes forget that guys like you do exist.

But yes, some people have the capability to "shut off" or "turn on" certain parts of their brains. It is a rather rair quality, but not impossible. However, as Alondro stated, there are some serious risks involved with some aspects of this ability, and some facets are easier to use and control than others. Take, for instance, the ability to voluntarily cut off one's pain receptors. It's difficult to learn, but otherwise a very simple task once the process is known. But, as stated in the quote above, the hyper-activation of any part of the brain poses serious risks.

Wow, so Alondro is like a real life Alpha?  That's why I love the TV show Alphas, because some of the mind based powers in that show actually do exist in real life.  I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more far-fetched ones also existed if those videos of monks doing amazing things from intense mental focus are actually real.

I always love seeing examples of mind over matter, as they always blow my mind. :eager

Icon by Sunblink

Nino

Scientists say we only use about 10% of our brain at any given time.

Pseudoscience. I'm a scientist and I say this is BS.

Zebra Bug

Quote from: Nino on February 03, 2013, 08:52:33 PM
Scientists say we only use about 10% of our brain at any given time.

Pseudoscience. I'm a scientist and I say this is BS.

Lol, I always thought that claim was....weak.  :mowtongue

Boy. I took you out of this world and put you back into it. Don't make me try to repeat step one. -Kria

Ignuus66

The 10% brain usage is infact an urban legend, We do not know exactly how much of the brain we use, but we do know that when it is most active (dreaming I think)

Also since Alrondo has brought up odd brain things...

I dream every time I fall asleep, even if it is a 5 min bus drive, and I remember them all.... Not sure what it is but I quite enjoy it, I can even remember dreams 14 years back, back when I was still learning how to speak.

Also what Is the condition that you have called alrondo?

Zebra Bug

Fascinating. I don't dream EVERYtime I fall asleep, but I do dream very often, most nights. And if I wake up in the middle of the dream I can remember it, although it is usually along the lines of "Wait-what? That makes no sense!" Even within the context of the dream!  :mowhappy But they are interesting usually. Used to get nasty nightmares when I was stationed in Germany in 2008-2009...and Sleep Paralysis which was freaky as hell. And I remember my nightmares still. But really, the base used to be a Nazi base, so was totally possibly haunted.

Ignuus66

All of my dreams are disorderly, (as it should be), I remember 4 years ago about a especially crazy dream:

It started out when a game of "the floor is lava" turned real when the floor actually turned to lava, so I had to escape on a lego airplane but It crash landed into a river, which was actually stone, and then I discovered I had no legs and was trying to escape from being crushed under a massive foot... and then I woke up.

As I said, my dreams are quite crazy.  xD

Eboreg

I've actually had plenty of dreams where I realized it was a dream. In some of those, I made it perfectly clear to some of the characters and in others I started screwing around with the physics of the dream world (I didn't aim that shot right, DOESN'T MATTER! I STILL HIT!).
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Eboreg on February 04, 2013, 01:40:33 PM
I've actually had plenty of dreams where I realized it was a dream. In some of those, I made it perfectly clear to some of the characters and in others I started screwing around with the physics of the dream world (I didn't aim that shot right, DOESN'T MATTER! I STILL HIT!).
lucid dreaming.

Zebra Bug

I have heard of lucid dreaming, but never, once in my life, have I ever known I was in a dream, no matter how...uh....weird it got. It always made perfect sense to me until I wake up wondering what I had smoked.  :mowtongue

Ignuus66

Quote from: Zebra Bug on February 05, 2013, 01:50:46 AM
I have heard of lucid dreaming, but never, once in my life, have I ever known I was in a dream, no matter how...uh....weird it got. It always made perfect sense to me until I wake up wondering what I had smoked.  :mowtongue
that is how dreams are :P