A challenge for artists, lets invent a symbol!

Started by Brunhidden, July 16, 2012, 09:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brunhidden

i do hope this one stays alive a bit better then my last thread, i need a little help again

any of you, regardless of artistic talent, are encouraged to partake in a brainstorm to create a new symbol!

the purpose of this symbol is to mean 'the following/prior has actually happened, i am not making this up', in far less space. if anyone can contribute to making a reasonably easy to draw symbol that can be recognized and given this meaning i would be very grateful. competing ideas can be discussed and voted uppon
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

KumikoTsumi

Would the word "truth" mean the same thing as the theme?

Brunhidden

more like the following

biohazzard symbol

the peace symbol

international symbol for awesome explosions

Turnsky

i'll stop you right there and note that each symbol has a bit of a story behind it, and not just a case of "ooh, lets make a symbol for this"

e.g: the peace symbol's origins stem from the campaign for nuclear disarmament, and is actually formed from the semaphore signals of "N" and "D"

Bio-hazard? company made that for their own biological contaminating products and soon became commonplace for the same thing internationally.

as for explosives?

do your homework.  :B

(seriously, would a little google-fu kill people these days? knowledge is power after all.)

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Brunhidden

your rebuttal has failed on this bit

Quote from: Turnsky on July 18, 2012, 04:19:24 AM

Bio-hazard? company made that for their own biological contaminating products and soon became commonplace for the same thing internationally.

that is basically exactly what this is, i am developing a label for my own personal use. i did not want this to just exist abstractly in the air, i have a need for this design. if it catches on, awesome, but quite frankly i only really want something which once i slap it on people observing it will know what it means.

and no, my google fu has failed to find a useful symbol i can adapt. my use of those three as an example was for the idea that each is a graphical message that can be instantly recognized, not for 'i want this, gimme this'.

Turnsky

regardless. memebase already beat you to it.

sorta.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/true-story

and no, i'm not making a rebuttal. a Symbol is not a 'simple thing' especially when dealing with abstract concepts like "this is a true story"

Quote'i want this, gimme this'

well if you don't want a symbol of something, then why a thread with a song and dance stating that you want a symbol of something?  :P

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Brunhidden

regardless, that is too complex and difficult to reproduce effectively. hence my examples of fairly simple designs that portray 'abstract concepts'.

the whole point of having a symbol is it needs to be time saving for the person using and the person reading it- as opposed to a detailed pictogram of someone raising his eyebrow over a scotch in a smug manner or someone will inevitably say 'why don't you just write "this is a true story" every time' which will save negative time by putting in two sentences of legal text every time i want to just 'heads up, that really happened, no shit' in the minimum amount of space. for that it would almost be better just to not label, and let the audience just guess what is real and what is not, defeating the point of having something that is unusual and cool simply because it is not made up