Castlevania: Souls of Sorrow (The 7 Divisions of Immortal Vampires)

Started by DjRunza, May 04, 2012, 11:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DjRunza

BEHOLD! This is the first ever picture at initial stage of the illustration sketching for Zamelia and Chibi which was done by my friend and I. They are one of the 7 Divisions of Immortal Vampires who serve under Lord Olrox who became the new "King of Immortal Vampires" in my fangame of Castlevania: Souls of Sorrow. The other 5 Division of Immortal Vampires are coming soon! Stay tune! Here's the picture below:

Do not hesitate to drop by some comments of yours in the box section below here. Cheers! :D

Credits:
Line Art by Arikado12
Colors by DjRunza

Ignuus66

Lookin' good so far!
However I can't really identify what the red creature is...

(credit: Gabi)

DjRunza

Quote from: Ignuus66 on May 04, 2012, 12:50:08 PM
Lookin' good so far!
However I can't really identify what the red creature is...

Thank you so much for the compliments Ignus66! I really appreciate it. Ahaha well the red creature is a Dragon. In case you might never know about the black creature at the right bottom beside Chibi, is a Horse. :D

James StarRunner

As someone who is really into game design, I have to ask... How are you going to make the game? What is the style of play going to be like? Will there be any important game mechanics that will set the game apart from others?

Hehehe... Evil bunny.

DjRunza

Quote from: James StarRunner on May 04, 2012, 02:45:55 PM
As someone who is really into game design, I have to ask... How are you going to make the game? What is the style of play going to be like? Will there be any important game mechanics that will set the game apart from others?

Hehehe... Evil bunny.

Hello there James StarRunner! My name is Aznur, just call me Runza would do. Nice to meet you. :D Ahaha well, speaking about game design stuff, making the game wouldn't be the best choice for now simply because as one of the true Castlevania fans such as myself, I haven't learn anything about Adobe Flash Professional CS5 because that software is the only thing that many fans are using in order to create a fine fangame and upload them on Youtube. For an example, I'm going to post some videos here to show you regarding about how the fans were actually create a fine video game by using Adobe Flash Professional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Art_9sQiykk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LixXGXQHFr0&feature=related

That is why, the initial step I'm going to do with this project is to write my own fangame storyline which I've done from Chapter 1-Chapter 3, and apparently, MOST of the Castlevania fans were actually found my storyline was amazing, interesting and they actually like it at the same time which I'm very happy about it. In other words, sketching, illustrating, producing an awesome ideas over my own storyline of Castlevania: Souls of Sorrow, etc, these are the things that I'm currently doing it now along with my friends too. If only I have the same ability as Koji Igarashi, I would have made this game 100% and sell it off to the whole market game. If you know what I mean. Lol. 

Well, speaking about the style of gameplay in my fangame of Castlevania: Souls of Sorrow, the style would be even MORE GREATER than the other Castlevania 2D games simply because I would include some awesome combos for each of the playable characters such as Soma Cruz, Julius Belmont, Yoko Belnades, Alucard, Elder Jonathan Morris as well as Elder Charlotte Aulin which they will be able to perform a lot of attack with combos for an example like "Square, Square, Square, Triangle, Triangle, Square", "Square, Triangle, Triangle, Triangle, Square, Square", "X (Jump), Triangle, Triangle, Triangle, Square, Square, Triangle" and all those attack combos. Don't you think that would be BEYOND AWESOMENESS? Combos attack for the FIRST TIME ever in Castlevania 2D games history! Ahahaha. Plus, I wish there is someone who can actually create a fine sprite sheets with HD graphics like as you can see in Castlevania: Harmony of Despair.

Here's the link of the chapters:

Chapter 1- http://djrunza.deviantart.com/art/Castlevania-2012-Souls-of-Sorrow-294061654?q=gallery%3Adjrunza%2F32972932&qo=5 (80% complete due to the lack of ideas and creativity but soon, I promise that I shall finish it up once if I have the free time to do it hehe :P)

Chapter 2- http://djrunza.deviantart.com/art/Castlevania-2012-Souls-of-Sorrow-Chapter-2-294225784?q=gallery%3Adjrunza%2F32972932&qo=4

Chapter 3- http://djrunza.deviantart.com/art/Castlevania-Souls-of-Sorrow-Chapter-3-295620942?q=gallery%3Adjrunza%2F32972932&qo=2

Chapter 4 is coming soon and Chapter 5 is still under progression state currently. Stay Tune! And I really hope that you like these storyline. If you do have any questions regarding about my storyline of Castlevania: Souls of Sorrow, don't hesitate to ask me. Cheers! :D

By the way, what do you think about the image above? :D

James StarRunner

Quote from: DjRunza on May 04, 2012, 03:17:27 PM
Hello there James StarRunner! My name is Aznur, just call me Runza would do. Nice to meet you. :D Ahaha well, speaking about game design stuff, making the game wouldn't be the best choice for now simply because as one of the true Castlevania fans such as myself, I haven't learn anything about Adobe Flash Professional CS5 because that software is the only thing that many fans are using in order to create a fine fangame and upload them on Youtube. For an example, I'm going to post some videos here to show you regarding about how the fans were actually create a fine video game by using Adobe Flash Professional.

That is why, the initial step I'm going to do with this project is to write my own fangame storyline which I've done from Chapter 1-Chapter 3, and apparently, MOST of the Castlevania fans were actually found my storyline was amazing, interesting and they actually like it at the same time which I'm very happy about it. In other words, sketching, illustrating, producing an awesome ideas over my own storyline of Castlevania: Souls of Sorrow, etc, these are the things that I'm currently doing it now along with my friends too. If only I have the same ability as Koji Igarashi, I would have made this game 100% and sell it off to the whole market game. If you know what I mean. Lol. 

Well, speaking about the style of gameplay in my fangame of Castlevania: Souls of Sorrow, the style would be even MORE GREATER than the other Castlevania 2D games simply because I would include some awesome combos for each of the playable characters such as Soma Cruz, Julius Belmont, Yoko Belnades, Alucard, Elder Jonathan Morris as well as Elder Charlotte Aulin which they will be able to perform a lot of attack with combos for an example like "Square, Square, Square, Triangle, Triangle, Square", "Square, Triangle, Triangle, Triangle, Square, Square", "X (Jump), Triangle, Triangle, Triangle, Square, Square, Triangle" and all those attack combos. Don't you think that would be BEYOND AWESOMENESS? Combos attack for the FIRST TIME ever in Castlevania 2D games history! Ahahaha. Plus, I wish there is someone who can actually create a fine sprite sheets with HD graphics like as you can see in Castlevania: Harmony of Despair.

Hey Runza! I'm familiar with Flash and know what it can do. I've seen the results of countless products made from it, so forgive me if I don't see the video. As a fan game, you'll likely use Flash, but it's by far NOT the only option to make video games. There are some great flash games, yes. But depending on what you want, there's plenty of other options too. Most are vastly superior to Flash depending on what you're trying to achieve.

But for the love of Pete, DON'T SELL THE GAME! No matter how talented you are and even if you can outdo Koji Igarashi, CastleVania is a licensed and copyrighted franchise. Unless you are working under them, you simply can't legally make money from their intellectual property.

Sounds like you just started to design process and are still at the starting gate. I wouldn't call it 'more greater' to have combos (though I wouldn't necessarily call it worse either). Things like that depend on your target audience. Some people may think it's great, but it makes it sound like a fighter and that's a different style of play compared to the original games some of us grew up with (like myself who's actually played CastleVania I, II, and III). I'm not saying it's a bad option, just giving you food for thought.

But yeah, keep writing and keep putting out those concepts. Game design can be tough, but rewarding and fun.

As for the picture, it's definately good enough to use as reference material for the girls there. Personally though, I'd like a bit more detail in the animals behind Chibi.

DjRunza

Quote from: James StarRunner on May 04, 2012, 04:15:56 PM
Quote from: DjRunza on May 04, 2012, 03:17:27 PM

Hey Runza! I'm familiar with Flash and know what it can do. I've seen the results of countless products made from it, so forgive me if I don't see the video. As a fan game, you'll likely use Flash, but it's by far NOT the only option to make video games. There are some great flash games, yes. But depending on what you want, there's plenty of other options too. Most are vastly superior to Flash depending on what you're trying to achieve.

But for the love of Pete, DON'T SELL THE GAME! No matter how talented you are and even if you can outdo Koji Igarashi, CastleVania is a licensed and copyrighted franchise. Unless you are working under them, you simply can't legally make money from their intellectual property.

Sounds like you just started to design process and are still at the starting gate. I wouldn't call it 'more greater' to have combos (though I wouldn't necessarily call it worse either). Things like that depend on your target audience. Some people may think it's great, but it makes it sound like a fighter and that's a different style of play compared to the original games some of us grew up with (like myself who's actually played CastleVania I, II, and III). I'm not saying it's a bad option, just giving you food for thought.

But yeah, keep writing and keep putting out those concepts. Game design can be tough, but rewarding and fun.

As for the picture, it's definately good enough to use as reference material for the girls there. Personally though, I'd like a bit more detail in the animals behind Chibi.

Lol it's alright my friend, don't worry about it. Do you have any other softwares beside than Flash that you would like to recommand me? Neah I won't ever sell the game and it will never happen though. I create this fangame storyline of mine just for the purpose of fun and acheive of giving out the feelings like "Oh, I wish this is true" kind of feeling to the readers and other Castlevania fans. Old gameplay style will be also included in this fangame as well. Yeah, that's so true. I couldn't agree with you more. But to me, it's time for the next generation game to be more fantastic, more impact, more interesting and more satisfaction especially about my idea of attack combos of new gameplay style. Don't you think so dude? Lol XD. What about youself? Do you like my new idea about the new gameplay style system? :D Thank you so much for the advices and the feedbacks James StarRunner, I really appreciate it so much. I will do my best to make this happen as a fine fangame in the future.

Ah I see, sure not a problem at all. I shall add in more detail about the animals behind Chibi. By the way, have you read the Chapters that I gave to you? Hehe :P 

James StarRunner

Quote from: DjRunza on May 04, 2012, 04:50:46 PM
Lol it's alright my friend, don't worry about it. Do you have any other softwares beside than Flash that you would like to recommand me? Neah I won't ever sell the game and it will never happen though. I create this fangame storyline of mine just for the purpose of fun and acheive of giving out the feelings like "Oh, I wish this is true" kind of feeling to the readers and other Castlevania fans. Old gameplay style will be also included in this fangame as well. Yeah, that's so true. I couldn't agree with you more. But to me, it's time for the next generation game to be more fantastic, more impact, more interesting and more satisfaction especially about my idea of attack combos of new gameplay style. Don't you think so dude? Lol XD. What about youself? Do you like my new idea about the new gameplay style system? :D Thank you so much for the advices and the feedbacks James StarRunner, I really appreciate it so much. I will do my best to make this happen as a fine fangame in the future.

Ah I see, sure not a problem at all. I shall add in more detail about the animals behind Chibi. By the way, have you read the Chapters that I gave to you? Hehe :P
The software you use will greatly vary depending on what type of game you want to make. From the sounds of it, it actually does seem like Flash is your best option unless I can tell otherwise from your game idea. There are plenty of game engines out there like unity, unreal, mugen... Some people end up making a campaign in Neverwinter, LittleBigPlanet, or any other game that offers customization tools to build your own level. If you wanted to use 3D, blender, 3D Studio Max, or Maya is commonly used. There's so much out there that I can't touch on all of it and most have distinct advantages and disadvantages. Most professionals will use C++ for a lot of the programming in the game and is still in use today as one of the most powerful programming languages. On the other hand, it's harder to learn and most amateur game makers don't know it. This sounds like it will be your first game though. I wouldn't want to overcomplicate things. From what you said, I'd just stick with flash. I just didn't want you to feel limited to one program though. There's a lot out there for making games.

I do agree to trying to improve on games, but changing mechanics doesn't always mean better. Personally, I like intuitive controls, I don't want to memorize countless combos. Left, right, roll to upper left counter clockwise, triangle, triangle + circle, and hold X for example may be an awesome whirlwind of death, but it makes no sence in my mind. Some people don't like combo systems simply because they have trouble executing them. There's other ways to show epic moves. You can have a stamina bar and special moves can be activated with the press of a button for example. You could have rage for another character and the more they kill, the higher they're rage will go until they can use a devastating attack. It could even be like Final Fantasy 7 where they have a limit breaker. There's tons you can do to make things more epic. Something like that is based on personal preferences though. What works for you doesn't always mean it will work with other people. The same goes for me. I'm not saying it's better or worse, I'm saying it's like apples and oranges. Some people just like the taste of the apple while others will choose the orange. Some people have even gone too far and overcomplicated the crap out of a game and ruined the franchise for everyone (notable example being Master of Orion 3). Just something else to ponder.

I'm not trying to be hard on you, I say these things because I care. Otherwise I'd tell you to give up and start fresh or go home and never have a single thought of game design ever again. The latter I would have told the people who make E.T. for the NES if I could.

I have not yet read the story. I've been getting ready for work and am currently typing this while on transit. I may read it (and post this) once I'm in range of a wifi connection and off work.

DjRunza

Quote from: James StarRunner on May 04, 2012, 06:21:49 PM
Quote from: DjRunza on May 04, 2012, 04:50:46 PM

The software you use will greatly vary depending on what type of game you want to make. From the sounds of it, it actually does seem like Flash is your best option unless I can tell otherwise from your game idea. There are plenty of game engines out there like unity, unreal, mugen... Some people end up making a campaign in Neverwinter, LittleBigPlanet, or any other game that offers customization tools to build your own level. If you wanted to use 3D, blender, 3D Studio Max, or Maya is commonly used. There's so much out there that I can't touch on all of it and most have distinct advantages and disadvantages. Most professionals will use C++ for a lot of the programming in the game and is still in use today as one of the most powerful programming languages. On the other hand, it's harder to learn and most amateur game makers don't know it. This sounds like it will be your first game though. I wouldn't want to overcomplicate things. From what you said, I'd just stick with flash. I just didn't want you to feel limited to one program though. There's a lot out there for making games.

I do agree to trying to improve on games, but changing mechanics doesn't always mean better. Personally, I like intuitive controls, I don't want to memorize countless combos. Left, right, roll to upper left counter clockwise, triangle, triangle + circle, and hold X for example may be an awesome whirlwind of death, but it makes no sence in my mind. Some people don't like combo systems simply because they have trouble executing them. There's other ways to show epic moves. You can have a stamina bar and special moves can be activated with the press of a button for example. You could have rage for another character and the more they kill, the higher they're rage will go until they can use a devastating attack. It could even be like Final Fantasy 7 where they have a limit breaker. There's tons you can do to make things more epic. Something like that is based on personal preferences though. What works for you doesn't always mean it will work with other people. The same goes for me. I'm not saying it's better or worse, I'm saying it's like apples and oranges. Some people just like the taste of the apple while others will choose the orange. Some people have even gone too far and overcomplicated the crap out of a game and ruined the franchise for everyone (notable example being Master of Orion 3). Just something else to ponder.

I'm not trying to be hard on you, I say these things because I care. Otherwise I'd tell you to give up and start fresh or go home and never have a single thought of game design ever again. The latter I would have told the people who make E.T. for the NES if I could.

I have not yet read the story. I've been getting ready for work and am currently typing this while on transit. I may read it (and post this) once I'm in range of a wifi connection and off work.

Ah I see, so most professionals are actually using C++ programming language in the game. What a great information I have from you James StarRunner! Wait a second. As I can see from the way you explain to me all about gaming designing and programming stuffs, are you a professional in making some sort of games or you actually working with gaming company or something? Lol. Hey James StarRunner, can I ask a question? In Adobe Flash Professional software, does it have to include some HTML and programming languages such as C++ and C+ in order to make a fine fangame like any other people use to do it?

...DAMN! Why wouldn't I thought of that in a first place! Ahahaha. Yes that's true. I am actually finding someone who is an expert in making those sprite sheet characters so that I could show to you and to all over the world about how does the attack combos actually looks like.

Nonono it's alright man, don't worry about it, I'm absolutely fine as always. Lol XD By the way, what is your profession actually? :D

Oops so sorry dude. Nevermind, once you have the free time, please read the chapters that I gave to you with the links. I really hope that you will like my fangame storyline. ^^

James StarRunner

Quote from: DjRunza on May 05, 2012, 04:33:34 AMAh I see, so most professionals are actually using C++ programming language in the game. What a great information I have from you James StarRunner! Wait a second. As I can see from the way you explain to me all about gaming designing and programming stuffs, are you a professional in making some sort of games or you actually working with gaming company or something? Lol. Hey James StarRunner, can I ask a question? In Adobe Flash Professional software, does it have to include some HTML and programming languages such as C++ and C+ in order to make a fine fangame like any other people use to do it?

...DAMN! Why wouldn't I thought of that in a first place! Ahahaha. Yes that's true. I am actually finding someone who is an expert in making those sprite sheet characters so that I could show to you and to all over the world about how does the attack combos actually looks like.

Nonono it's alright man, don't worry about it, I'm absolutely fine as always. Lol XD By the way, what is your profession actually? :D

Oops so sorry dude. Nevermind, once you have the free time, please read the chapters that I gave to you with the links. I really hope that you will like my fangame storyline. ^^
Am I a professional game designer? *Sigh*... It's not a pretty story. I'd rather not go over it in detail. In short, I started really young and never stopped. I have stacks of notes and multiple binders full of concepts, designs, examples, plot ideas, timelines, matrixes, databases, level notes, research... It's expansive. I went to school for 'Game Art & Design' after, even impressed my program director who worked on the God of War series, Gran Tourismo, and over 80 other sku's. I got sick a few times and even hospitalized. Even though I had doctors notes and found out what meds would work for me, they wouldn't let me finish my courses. My program director wants me back, but I can't go. I've even appealed the school's decision. They got my hopes up for a while then changed their policy suddenly and dashed my hopes. Yes, this is the short, less painful version.

No one will take me in their studio because I have no 'professional' experience (I'm mostly self taught) or graduated from the school that dropped me. So no, I don't work at a game studio and now I'm fighting debt from a school that won't let me finish. My profession? Searched for a job for months since no one was hiring. I'm now a sales floor associate at Walmart... Whoopie...

I write, I draw, I voice act, I taught myself BASIC (a beginner's programming language) long before schools taught us simple algebra, I design games so good that I impress people who helped on God of War... And I don't have a job in the industry.

It's okay if you haven't thought of the suggestions I gave. I'm a fountain of knowledge when it comes to things like that.

And no, you don't need HTML or C++ to make a great game in Flash. You just need to learn some action script. There will be many people at Newgrounds who will know it. Learning some other things won't hurt though.

Oh, and check your notes, I left something for you.

Ignuus66

My brother actually makes money by making small, free to play games for the Android, and gets a small income from Ads, perhaps you could do the same? (Java is pretty simple, although slow, I'm learning it myself) It isn't much, but it will help. (That or making 1$ games is also a good idea too) These don't have to be comlicated, just simple to learn, interesting, and addictive. (Think Angry birds)

Just my 2cents

DjRunza

Quote from: James StarRunner on May 05, 2012, 06:35:04 AM
Quote from: DjRunza on May 05, 2012, 04:33:34 AMAh I see, so most professionals are actually using C++ programming language in the game. What a great information I have from you James StarRunner! Wait a second. As I can see from the way you explain to me all about gaming designing and programming stuffs, are you a professional in making some sort of games or you actually working with gaming company or something? Lol. Hey James StarRunner, can I ask a question? In Adobe Flash Professional software, does it have to include some HTML and programming languages such as C++ and C+ in order to make a fine fangame like any other people use to do it?

Am I a professional game designer? *Sigh*... It's not a pretty story. I'd rather not go over it in detail. In short, I started really young and never stopped. I have stacks of notes and multiple binders full of concepts, designs, examples, plot ideas, timelines, matrixes, databases, level notes, research... It's expansive. I went to school for 'Game Art & Design' after, even impressed my program director who worked on the God of War series, Gran Tourismo, and over 80 other sku's. I got sick a few times and even hospitalized. Even though I had doctors notes and found out what meds would work for me, they wouldn't let me finish my courses. My program director wants me back, but I can't go. I've even appealed the school's decision. They got my hopes up for a while then changed their policy suddenly and dashed my hopes. Yes, this is the short, less painful version.

No one will take me in their studio because I have no 'professional' experience (I'm mostly self taught) or graduated from the school that dropped me. So no, I don't work at a game studio and now I'm fighting debt from a school that won't let me finish. My profession? Searched for a job for months since no one was hiring. I'm now a sales floor associate at Walmart... Whoopie...

I write, I draw, I voice act, I taught myself BASIC (a beginner's programming language) long before schools taught us simple algebra, I design games so good that I impress people who helped on God of War... And I don't have a job in the industry.

It's okay if you haven't thought of the suggestions I gave. I'm a fountain of knowledge when it comes to things like that.

And no, you don't need HTML or C++ to make a great game in Flash. You just need to learn some action script. There will be many people at Newgrounds who will know it. Learning some other things won't hurt though.

Oh, and check your notes, I left something for you.

James StarRunner, I would like say that I am so sorry to hear that. I didn't meant to open that topic about your past life and I wouldn't thought of that as well. :'( Whatever it is, don't ever give up on doing something that you really wanna do and really wanna be. Giving up is definitely not the best choice to do so my friend! As far from what I can see from you, you actually have a lot of talent in yourself as you mention that you can write, draw, voice act and basic programming language. Why don't you enhance those things and use them as your passion which hopefully that would leads you to the better future career! What do you say James StarRunner? :D I don't think it shouldn't be a problem at all though.

By the way dude, do you have a deviantART account for yourself? So that you can start to draw out and post your artwork into your deviantART folder gallery and let all the artist from all over the world could actually see your artworks that you've done!

Don't worry my friend, I know all the people around the world can achieve their own dreams comes true if they keep on practice on what they really wanna do and have faith in themselves. Most importantly, don't ever give up. :D

Ah I see, I'll check it out later. ^^ 

DjRunza

Quote from: Ignuus66 on May 05, 2012, 09:55:48 AM
My brother actually makes money by making small, free to play games for the Android, and gets a small income from Ads, perhaps you could do the same? (Java is pretty simple, although slow, I'm learning it myself) It isn't much, but it will help. (That or making 1$ games is also a good idea too) These don't have to be comlicated, just simple to learn, interesting, and addictive. (Think Angry birds)

Just my 2cents

Hmmm. Sounds kind of interesting to me or perhaps you could tell me what are the procedures of making a small income from Ads and teach me the basic of Java programming. Lol! :P

Ignuus66

Quote from: DjRunza on May 05, 2012, 06:10:14 PM
Hmmm. Sounds kind of interesting to me or perhaps you could tell me what are the procedures of making a small income from Ads and teach me the basic of Java programming. Lol! :P
I'm horrible at explaining, and my Brother Handles all the Ads, And to be fair, due to my very messy programming (I'm still learning) IT would be better to check online for that sort of thing. I usually just make some sprites and help him with ideas, he is planning on funding his own higher level education (He is going to a nanotech college in Scotland)

James StarRunner

Not bothering to sort out quotes, but thanks guys... Even if we are derailing the thread.

I'm not giving up by far. Never have. I just have to make income immediately to keep myself aloft. Oh, and it's not just BASIC I know. Since then I've got a basic understanding of HTML, C++, and little bits of other languages. I've only JUST got an android phone (it's what I'm using now to post). It's a slower process with work in the way, but I'm still working on games. Most of the time has been spent on my pet project, a truely massive RPG, nothing that could fit on an Android. I do have smaller games I can work on (I've got a big list of concepts I've come up with) and one of those can be adapted to be an Android game. It will take time though. I'm confident I can learn JavaScript, but it will take time. Most of my time is now put into work I can do now to keep a roof over my head. It's going to be slow to work around it, but I've never given up on my dream.