08/23/06 Powder Puff

Started by topher chee, August 22, 2006, 08:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mini-lion

QuoteThe backrounds in Amber's Artist-Vision are telling her she sucks

didn't notice that,

It's quite an interesting point that people have this built in drive to go further and never be content, as soon as we reach the other side of the hill we're looking at the next mountain range type of thing. It's applied everywhere as well even in say product design something may suit the job perfectly but you know inside that if it was tweaked here and there it may be better, the problem is knowing wher to stop

King Of Hearts

All too true...

...some people who view it may not notice but the pen that gave birth knows all too well what he did wrong, especially as they are going along.

I have a bunch of stuff that I dont want to finish because I think they stink, but ended up finishing months later after rummaging trough my stuff and noticing that its not so bad.

Downplaying oneself is also a defensive trick as to not appear to warrant harsh criticism from other artists.

A tree full of fruit is one always stoned.

I dont throw away my old works [you should see my cabinet, oh the poor trees that gave their lives for my hobby...] It just doesnt feel right, Its kinda silly but they feel like they are my children nonetheless.

ITOS

Unnecessary post ahead. Most things were said while I was writing. :P

------------------------------

Why do you fear old art? I have only started to draw so I can't really look back.

The only thing  can relate to is signatures ( my first signature ). If I try to compare with the ones I make now I don't regard it as horrible since I know that it was almost the first time I opened Photoshop.

All work is horrible if you compare it to better art. I don't mean that you shouldn't try to be as good as the better art but there is no need to bash yourself since there will always be better.
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Tapewolf

The other day I decided to copy the digitally mastered version of A day at the people factory back onto tape.  Since my DVD+RWs seem to have a life expectancy of under two years, a safety copy seemed prudent.  I kept hearing all kinds of timing problems, pitch problems, mixing problems and so forth which I hadn't noticed before.  I can't say I like the first side of it at all anymore, except for 'Return to Babel'.  So it isn't just Amber.

I'm wondering whether I should rerecord 'Sacred Jaguar' at some point, since it's a great song, just not very well executed.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

It's also likely that, by now, you (and this is a general you, not just Tapewolf) have learnt skills that you didn't have some time ago - so, to take Tapewolf's example, he now hears issues that he knows how to fix, whereas before, he couldn't fix them, and hence may have subconciously decided to leave them be... "good enough" at the time is not necessarily "good enough" later, when you know what you have to do to get it right...

Just my 2p. (I seem to be spending a lot, lately... :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Arcalane

I used to look back at my old 3D modelling work and wonder how the hell I could have made anything so bad, and then I look forward and go "whoa." when I see some of the spontaneous pieces I've made up.

And sometimes, I just wonder how the hell I managed some things. I was once making a design based off the Starfury from Babylon 5. I wanted to imitate the cockpit area, and knew that I had neither the skill nor the power in my modelling program. That was, until I had the patience to actually try.

It may not be perfect, but this has come a long way from this, even though it wasn't actually perfected, as nobody might notice, but the engine blocks are improperly sized. More noticeably, the wings are improperly positioned. This was later corrected, result here, and then lost when I managed to format the partition with the work on. :rolleyes

At least now I can concentrate on moving forward and making new things, instead of faffing about with the old crap.

The past is something to learn from, but don't get too caught up in it. Thus, archives can be good... and bad. ;)

Joshua

*nods sagely*
I am all too familiar with 'Artistic Vision'. -.-
I almost never fully like anything I draw.

Stig Hemmer

What I like to see is an artist that is able once in a while to lean back and say "You know, I kind of like how todays effort came out."  Not all the time, of course, just occationally. As an audience member, I like seeing the artist enjoy their work.

As a human being, I know how much damage you can do with words.  By saying to yourself "I suck", you are hurting yourself in ways that can be really really bad.  I don't like seeing people do that to themselves. (or others, for that matter) :tired
Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.

RJ

Sometimes I'll go through my old art... it's more like a photo album to me since a lot of them have memories I've subconsciously attached to them.

Though, I'll still stop at something and go 'What was I thinking when I drew this!?'. >.<

Bunnaroo

Hmm. I guess I'm not skilled enough to have "Artist Vision."

Say, who is that green (or is she yellow with a blue overlay?) Bunatian?

Arcalane

Quote from: Bunnaroo on August 23, 2006, 09:11:48 AM
Hmm. I guess I'm not skilled enough to have "Artist Vision."

Say, who is that green (or is she yellow with a blue overlay?) Bunatian?

I believe the correct term for that colour would be "Cyan".

Or possibly "Teal", but Teal is generally darker.

*colournerrrrrrrrrrrrd*

Jack McSlay

I don't think it applies only to artistic creations, other day I was looking at old programs I wrote and was like  :wtf
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jack McSlay on August 23, 2006, 10:05:06 AM
I don't think it applies only to artistic creations, other day I was looking at old programs I wrote and was like  (wtf)

Some of mine still are.

// Now we have to send the tab a secret code to make it not suck
SendMessage(form->tab,CCM_SETVERSION,COMCTL32_VERSION,0L);
// This should make the tabs flat instead of weird

:

si.cbSize=sizeof(si); // Feed it the c___ it needs or it will tell funny lies about the size

:

// One always tells the truth and the other always lies

:

// Remove any turds from the temp directory (SQLCE is not housebroken)

llearch n'n'daCorna

All of that sounds like sound, forward-thinking coding practice, there, Tapewolf. Where were the strange bits? :-)

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 23, 2006, 10:29:23 AM
All of that sounds like sound, forward-thinking coding practice, there, Tapewolf. Where were the strange bits? :-)

// This works for everywhere except Europe
GetTimeZoneInformation(&tzi);

// This is the semi-official method and it doesn't bloody work at all

if(Bias == -45 || Bias == 45)
        Bias /= 3;                                                      // I hate everything

:

// We don't have this officially on CE4 but we'll use it anyway

:

// Don't delete the font handle, we'll tidy it up afterwards (yeah - 3 years afterwards)

:

// Coreldraw 8 forgot to do this as well.

:

// wcscpy(&ptr[2],ptr);  This crashes the Windows kernel, so we do this instead:

:

// We can't find it.  According to the spec we return "Oh Sh__"

:

// MSVC 6 does something terrible if we compile with 'Frame Pointer Omission' enabled
// (This is the default for 'Maximise Speed')

:

// Make it invisible.
ShowWindow(Warning,SW_HIDE);
Sleep(50);
// Is it still visible?
r=GetWindowLong(Warning,GWL_STYLE);
if(r & WS_VISIBLE)
      {
      // Yes.. Windows did not obey.  It must be punished.
      SetWindowLong(Warning,GWL_STYLE,r&~GWL_STYLE);
      Sleep(50);
      }

:

// Set colours here because windows is sh_

:

// Palm is ffffed in the head as usual.

(Sorry, I seem to have gone off-topic a little)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Colour me vastly amused. And -way- off topic...

Rowne

That goes double.  *Amused.*

It reminds me of the comment actually that if a company were to nerf crashing, the coders for the environment that company created would soon find a workaround, people always had complete faith in this.

Yay coders!  We love you, we do.

... and I feel egotistical now, since I dabble in code.  Time to go and stick my head in a bucket of ice.

witchiebunny

I must say, it is somewhat scary how often that actually does apply, and how accurate it really is.

Of course, my artists vision tends to kick in as soon as I start inking a piece.

Not fun.

James StarRunner

Ya, inking gets scary. At least there's photoshop in case you mess up.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Snap

Did i miss you? Hell yes, i did.

on the comic:
ive seen this kind of joke a couple of times from Amber (i also noticed the YOU SUCK Background immeditately), and i think she is way to harsh on herself. Its too bad that this point of view is completly "internal" and thus doesnt follow neither logic nor arguments.

While i dont draw myself, i sometimes colorize inks from other persons (with their permission), and while most of the results seem rather boring to me, there are some that while just looking at them make me happy and proud. I dont know how justified that is, but as long as i enjoy them, im satisfied. Yes, im no perfectionist, my bad (Ive known quite a few, none of them seemed all to happy).

I hope those "omgthatsreallycool,didireallydothat" moments outweight the "ohthehorror" ones. These are real motivation boosters :)

e_voyager

i know have you to feel jack and tape wolf. i've goin the the same thing with programs and webpages that i've built. "shivers" i may never be whole again
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Alondro

*Charles sighs*  Actually, my older pics from three years ago look better than anything I can do now.  I had time to practice back then.  And actually, Amber's distorted view STILL looks better than my drawings now!  *sobs* :cry

*Charline drinks up the suffering of her human... and his blood too!*   :bat

*Charles acks as he becomes suddenly anemic*  :boggle
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Kitsune Ascendant

you can add presentations to the list. it's kinda funny, actually. with something like a written paper, mistakes that anyone else would catch slip right by you, but if you have a speach or presentation you will notice every little mistake you make. at the end, you're thinking "I really could have done that a lot better", when the instructors are telling you how great a job you did.
I think it really aplies to just about any creative work. I look back at some stuff I wrote for middle school classes, and I shudder. I had a short story about how pikachu was created. it involved a mad scientist and a mouse. yeah...
I may be a bit young to be worrying about it so much, but I'm not changing this sig until I find true love.
yappities by silverfoxr, and are awesome.  Thanks!

Forestcat

Meh. I have issues posting my art because I think it's icky. . . but then I end up really liking it for some reason and posting it later ;) I can still find mistakes though, and part of my "well it's not that great anyhow . . . "complex is moreso because I know I'm still improving and there are lots better aritsts out there than me! :)

KarlOmega1

Quote from: Alondro on August 23, 2006, 05:24:46 PM
*Charles sighs*  Actually, my older pics from three years ago look better than anything I can do now.  I had time to practice back then.  And actually, Amber's distorted view STILL looks better than my drawings now!  *sobs* :cry

*Charline drinks up the suffering of her human... and his blood too!*   :bat

*Charles acks as he becomes suddenly anemic*  :boggle

My blood's better than his, Charline  ;)
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

Zedd

I can think at least one thing scaryier than bad art and no computer for a whole summer......Not havign a computer for 3 years and spending time drawing your things on fast food napkins

Roureem Egas

Drawing on napkins is more sad than anything. >.>

I'm not going against the no-computer for-three-years part, though.

Arcalane

Quote from: Alondro on August 23, 2006, 05:24:46 PM*Charles acks as he becomes suddenly anemic*  :boggle

Anemia is the last[/i] of your worries... ;)

I'd think death was a bit more important to be worrying about.

~~

Karl, I really doubt that. I really do.

~~

Hey, napkins are better than nothing, right? Sure, you could[/i] use paper, but still, better than nothing.

Alondro

*Charles shakes his head*  Nah, I'm a scientist.  We don't need blood cuz we're not really human.  That's why we can gleefully experiment on cute fuzzy little animals... we're soulless monsters.  PETA is correct about that!  But we don't care.. they shall be among the first exterminated when we have completed our research!   :mwaha

Why do you think we keep testing cosmetics on animals?  To find side effects and make safer products?  No!  We're finding the components for Smilex gas.  >:3

*Charline gazes in wonder at the bloodless 'human'*  Wow... he's so evil!  So cold and merciless!  So brutal and malevolent!  *little hearts float about her and the background becomes a frame of pastels*  I think I'm in love...  :love2

*Alondro jaw-drops in horror*  This is quite possibly the worst scenario imaginable...
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

ITOS

Is it wrong to think that high explosives is the best only way of solving this?  :paranoid
This generic comment was brought to you by: