Flight of Fancy (OOC/Interest Thread--OPEN!)

Started by Aisha deCabre, January 06, 2012, 12:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: FelixGrey_Incubi on September 29, 2013, 02:07:56 PM
Um..is it just me or did this whole thing seem to...die???
It is looking a little slow.  For myself, I'm struggling to think of something to add to the conversation with Shax, I think it's essentially run its course.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kafzeil

Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

Boog

Ugh, no, sorry, not dead. I've just been busy. Freelance work, fulltime job, it can be hard to sit down and write the post. Got more in mind though, no worries. I'll pick it up.

Kirrin_Shadowclaw

Ask not for whom the bell tolls, ask why is that guy holding his ears?

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Boog on September 30, 2013, 07:56:57 PM
Ugh, no, sorry, not dead. I've just been busy. Freelance work, fulltime job, it can be hard to sit down and write the post. Got more in mind though, no worries. I'll pick it up.

No worries, Boog.  :) Heh, at least we can all keep up.  I remember when an RP would gather twenty-something posts a day.  I go on vacation for three days and miss a great plot advancement. xP

But anyway, if you'd like Mel or me to play anymore NPCs or somethin' to help, just say the word. :3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Boog

ALRIGHT, posted. Tape, no worries, something to keep you moving is coming.

Paladin Sheppard

Apologies to Kaf and Krin for the delay, life has been a little rough for me.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Boog on October 01, 2013, 09:50:15 PM
ALRIGHT, posted. Tape, no worries, something to keep you moving is coming.

Heh, it's been a little quiet since.  I hope Jakob's reply didn't squick people.  He is an incubus, after all, even if he's trying not to show it...

justacritic

I tried to get some action going, not sure if it'll work.

Mel Dragonkitty

Don't worry Tape. We're just figuring out the worst possible way Twitchy can take your remarks. He is a paparazzi after all.  :mwaha
My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mel Dragonkitty on October 07, 2013, 09:40:42 PM
Don't worry Tape. We're just figuring out the worst possible way Twitchy can take your remarks. He is a paparazzi after all.  :mwaha

Figures.  I was kind of eager to see Shax' reaction as well, though :3

Shax

justacritic

Where are you? I don't know if a certain gryphon is going to speak to me after that introduction.

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: justacritic on October 11, 2013, 09:20:19 PM
Where are you? I don't know if a certain gryphon is going to speak to me after that introduction.

Just for the sake of convenience for the both of us (partly because I take a while to get up the incentive to post x3) I'll say right now that Jake will acknowledge you but not reply directly, probably.  Unbeknownst to Hobbes of course, he's got a job to do that probably doesn't include coming to the show.  :P
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

techmaster-glitch

Hey, if this is still open and accepting players, I think I'd like to jump onboard... I want to get back into RPing around here, and I -really- want to use my 'Xephelon' character. Never got a decent enough run of him.

Tapewolf

It seems to be a little stuck at the moment, but now is definitely the time to add characters since the ship is docked.  I think the usual procedure is to PM Boog with your character for approval.

Boog

Tape's on the money for pretty much that whole assessment.

techmaster-glitch

Okey-dokey, will work on PMing the sheet when I can. Incidentally, can anyone give me a cliffnotes of events so far? I was following this RP for awhile, but dropped about halfway through. What I (think I) know:

Big, superfancy luxury cruise airship with divination-suppression field, ostensibly for anti-cheating at gambling but really hides a slavehold.

Half the PCs started in the upper decks, half in the slavehold. Folks in the upper decks mostly socialized and investigated things, folks in the slavehold were trying to work out plans to escape, and I -think- where I stopped reading was about when someone or something entered the slavehold, or left something inside that could help them escape. Don't quite remember, a bit fuzzy. Took a look at some recent posts, seems they did manage to escape and are moving through the airship now.

Am I missing anything important? I'm pretty sure I probably am...

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on November 02, 2013, 12:33:02 AM
Am I missing anything important? I'm pretty sure I probably am...

The field dampens all magic, disrupting spellcasting and making innate abilities such as shapeshifting a lot more difficult.  The setting has a 1940s level of technology.

Tapewolf

techmaster-glitch

I'm waiting on Boog to get back to me on my charsheet... :B

Shax

I'll post later today after my drivers test and work.

Tapewolf

techmaster-glitch

*pokes Boog again* Been over a week...doesn't take that long to vet a character sheet, does it? :paranoid

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on November 09, 2013, 07:01:16 PM
*pokes Boog again* Been over a week...doesn't take that long to vet a character sheet, does it? :paranoid

Patience is a virtue, grasshopper. ;)

Seriously though, Boog's got a lot on his plate RL-wise, last I heard, as do the other two of us GMs, from time to time.  Those of us in the RP already know to allow some leniency for it.

That's also why there's three of us.  You could also send it to me and Mel, and we'll conference over it. :B
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

techmaster-glitch

techmaster-glitch

Woohoo! Finally, getting another chance to play my cephalapod-guy in an arthropod-suit (my two favorite types of animals xD ). Say hello to Xephelon, folks! :U

Name: Xephelon
Race: Mythos
Species: Green Imbuer

Physical Description:  As an Imbuer Mythos, Xephelon is basically a landbound octopus or squid. He is neon-green in color, and looks little more than a fleshy mass two feet in size, with small tentacles. He has two small beady eyes and a mouth on a little "head", but otherwise, his body is quite malleable due to being completely boneless, and he is able to squeeze into very small spaces. However, his actual body is rarely seen (see below).

History:  Xephelon's kind is a fairly rare type of Mythos (as far as Mythos go), and thanks to the sheer alien appearance of his exoshell, he's rarely met with open arms by any community that's never seen one of his kind before. On the other hand, he has actually worked with a few open-minded adventurers before, and is getting more well-traveled. With other unusual things springing up around the world, negative reaction to something like Xephelon has been decreasing. Recently, he heard of the airship called the 'Flame of Freedom', and is fascinated by the magical engineering in the vessel. He's gathered up all the money he has and headed for one of the Flame's docks, hoping to secure passage and get a closer look...

Personality:  Xephelon is actually a nice person. While he does look out for himself, he does understand the value of friends and allies, and looks down on those who do actions that would directly harm or upset others, and when he has worked with adventurers, it was for taking down a particularly destructive Creature or other villain. While Xephelon doesn't actually have any real skill with diplomacy or negotiation, he will try to talk himself out of a situation and avoid fighting whenever possible, though he will commit his constructs and abilities if his allies are threatened.

Powers/Skills:
  Xephelon belongs to a rather remarkable type of Mythos. While physically small and weak, they are gifted with prodigious magical power. However, this magic cannot be cast in spells like normal magic-users; all Mythos of the Imbuer type use magic by "imbuing" it into any nonliving object they touch. Xephelon's breed, Greens, can enchant objects to hold nearly any magical quality or power temporarily (permanently if time measured in hours or days is spent on the object). They can't cast a fireball spell, but they can enchant an object to shoot fireballs. They can't cast a spell to make someone stronger, but they can enchant an object the person is wearing that will then make them stronger. Due to this, Green Imbuer Mythos are masters of creating magic items of nearly any kind, even edging into "magitech". As they like to create their own objects to receive their magic, Green Imbuer Mythos also often pick up skill at crafting and shaping mundane materials, using magic-enhanced tools in construction.
   One thing particular to Green Imbuer Mythos (and often their defining trait) is that due to their abilities and the fact their physical bodies are very weak and vulnerable, nearly all of them create a personal magical "exo-shell" to enhance their interactions with the world around them. These exoshells are very unique, taking on almost any shape and size, and are often specialized to their creator's preferences. Some make great juggernaut exoshells that are engines of combat, other make exoshells geared to mining or construction, or any other purpose besides. Few people ever actually see a Green Imbuer Mythos' real body--only the exoshell they reside in.
   Xephelon is highly intelligent, possessing a keen analytical mind. His social skills are merely adequate, and he doesn't usually do much more than talk calmly and try to reason things out, which occasionally leaves him blind to more nuanced and hidden behaviors of other individuals. Likewise, most have a hard time empathizing with a faceless black-and-green bug-like thing (his exoshell, see below). When outside of his exoshell, however, see "weaknesses" for his physical attributes.
   Xephelon's capabilities extend to imbuing any object with a variety of magical properties and effects simply by touching them. The more complex the property, the more time it takes to imbue the object. These effects are temporary, and vanish some time after the imbuing (usually more than ten minutes, sometimes up to an hour). However, if he spends hours or days on an object, he can permanently bestow magical properties on the object, making it a magic item. Highly advanced projects, such as the creation of magical constructs, can often take days or weeks, including the time it takes to craft the body.
   In addition, Xephelon's normal skills are as follows;
-Exceptional Craftsman: Highly adept at working with materials and shaping them into desired forms, including weapons and armor.
-Master Artificer: Second to none at creating magic items and objects.
-Magic Analyst: Can examine, analyze, and "reverse-engineer" magic effects already in place.
-Logistics: A knack for good resource allocation.

Possessions:
--Xephelon's Exoshell:
   Xephelon's personal shell (which, like most Green Imbuer Mythos, he spends almost all his time in) consists of a main torso/body set on a quadrupedal base. There are four arms attached to the main body, and each arm has a variety of retractable/deployable tools. The exoshell stands roughly five feet tall, and is built from what looks like interlocking plates of shiny black metal, and angular glowing lines of magic wrap around most of the shell (the color is usually green). The spindly limbs and segmented plates give the exoshell a distinctly insectoid/arthropoid look. Three lights that represent eyes are set into the center of the torso. In the back, there is a small hole only a few inches wide that is usually covered by a metal plate. When Xephelon exits the shell, the plate moves out of the way, and the hole leads to the cavity inside the main body where Xephelon would reside.
   With the tools built into the arms of the exoshell, it is an excellent vessel for crafting and manufacturing objects. Most of the tools themselves have individual enchantments on them to enhance their capabilities. Two of the arms have small crystals in them that can easily accept and channel temporary enchantments on the fly. These are generally used when constructing an unusual object and a special effect is needed, but in combat, Xephelon may sometimes put some kind of offensive magic into them.
   Xephelon's exoshell, being made mostly of enchanted metal, is decently tough, and is also lightly warded against small damage and ambient effects. However, it's not built very thick, and a solid hit from anything is liable to cause significant problems. The central torso, where Xephelon is housed, is the the toughest part of the exoshell (and while the lights in the center do indeed function as "eyes", they aren't a weak point, only being magic enchantments). The exoshell is also hermetically sealed (air and watertight); when Xephelon is inside the cavity and magically linked to the exoshell, it puts his real body in a form of partial life-supported stasis, preventing the need for basic respiratory functions. At the same time, all his sensory perception is 'routed' through the exoshell; it has enchantments for audible perception, multifunctional enchanted vision, and tactile sense. However, maintaining the exoshell over long periods of time is eventually draining, and Xephelon still must exit regularly to feed himself and take care of other basic needs. Obviously, the exoshell is stronger than Xephelon's real body, and allows him to lift things he couldn't normally, but it won't be winning any arm-wrestling contests with a demon any time soon.

Weaknesses:  Xephelon is very poor in direct combat, even when within his exoshell. It isn't designed for a fight, hardly has any real weapons, and isn't very tough, so Xephelon will generally opt to let allies with items enhanced by his magic or his own constructs do his fighting for him. Outside of his exoshell, Xephelon is completely exposed, being small, weak, and vulnerable. His body is a boneless mass of flesh and light muscle, severely hampering his strength and mobility. If he doesn't have something enchanted to help him, he moves by shuffling and squiggling, and there are few things he can actually lift (sufficiently-sized books can give him problems). In fact, no Mythos of the Imbuer type has significant unaided mobility. His body also cannot really take any punishment of any kind, except for may a weak blunt blow, or squeezing/squishing. While Xephelon is somewhat dexterous, and able to wriggle out of tight spots, he is otherwise at the mercy of anything that catches him outside of his exoshell.

Misc. Trivia:
--The other type of Imbuer Mythos are the Blue Imbuer Mythos. They are slightly inverted to the Greens; where Greens can enchant properties into objects, but must spend a long time to make an animated object or construct, Blues animate and bestow semi-life any object they touch. However, to give additional properties beyond simply bringing things to "life" takes a significant investment of time, like a Green for creating constructs.
--How Xephelon works in a nutshell.

I just need a little help cueing me in at when/where in the RP is a good time and place to make an entrance. If I'm not mistaken, the airship is currently at dock? (on the ground?)

Shax

Just curious, but who is still in this RP and who has dropped out?

Kirrin_Shadowclaw

Ask not for whom the bell tolls, ask why is that guy holding his ears?

Angel

The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!