11/14/2011 [11-12] A desperate path

Started by joshofspam, November 14, 2011, 12:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshofspam

Well to be fair, Merrybell didn't seem all that bad.

But taking a look at the counsil and remembering she was just a little pixie. It reminds you that power can corrupt and do funny things to ones mind and the courts highest members have it in spades obviously.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Darc_Sowers

joshofspam

Quote from: Darc_Sowers on November 14, 2011, 12:36:10 AM
Please read this. It may help - http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheFairFolk

Or, for something CN:H specific, this - http://between-the-panels.blogspot.com/2011/11/discussing-fey.html

It indeeds help more. Thanks Darc.

Though I remember only vaguely a few of the old tails. Like Rumpelstiltskin weaving the golden yarn while asking for the ladies first born.

But you rarely here about the old way the Fair Folk use to be presented.

But when you think about it, when your so high above mortals. Is it really surprising that many could see you as nothing more then an interesting bug either to collect or squish?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Darc_Sowers

Cool, I'm glad they were helpful. I grew up on the original Grimm fairy tales and Hans Christian Anderson stories. Then, once I started reading comics as a teenager, I was really into The Sandman and The Books of Magic. So the idea of the fey having a nasty, vindictive streak is familiar to me.   :)

llearch n'n'daCorna

I've always liked the way Terry Pratchett described them in Lords and Ladies.

"Elves are beautiful. They've got style. Beauty. Grace. That's what matters. If cats looked like frogs we'd realise what nasty cruel little bastards they are."

In fact, much of Lords and Ladies is a clear indictment of Elves. For example:
Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said that elves are nice.
Elves are bad.

I find bearing this sort of approach in mind is a good starting point. Also, being careful what you ask for, because you might just get precisely that, is a staple in many "fairy" stories. Makes me nervous when someone offers me things that I want with no strings attached; just because I can't see any strings doesn't mean they're not there. And if I _can_ see strings... I wonder just how many strings I can't see are also there...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears