help! (trying to find a particular comic)

Started by icarus, August 01, 2011, 12:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icarus

i'm trying to find the DMFA comic (i think it was a questions from readers strip) where amber explained "artist-vision" where all you see are the flaws.

a kid i know (she just graduated the school i work at) is entering her "i see all my flaws oh god it's horrible" phase and i wanted to share it with her to show how it's a normal, healthy part of becoming an artist. but the DMFA archives are SO HUGE D:

help me, DMFA forum! help me help the 8th grader!

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

icarus

disregard this - after much hunting with a buddy, it was located.

strip 672!

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Naldru

Rats.  You beat me by five minutes

There are a few techniques that may prove useful.

If you look at https://serialist.net/archive/1132, it has all of the archive table of contents pages on one page.  You can search for text.

In a major "Doh" moment, I also realized that googling DMFA artist vision would have found the page.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Glad you found it, icarus. Someone, somewhere, has a searchable index of the strips. I need to update my own collection of strip text, though - it's about 200 strips out of date...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

icarus

it's still appriciated :> it took me and a friend (him reading backwards, me reading forwards) a little while to locate it...i don't know why neither of us thought to google :B

i'd link to the student's deviantart, but i dunno if people would be gentle or not. she only just got her first scanner and she's still in her 'awkwardly eyeballing other people's art' phase.

justacritic

That's not too bad, as long as she's trying eyeballing other styles besides only one artist.
Eventually she should be able to find her own style :mowcookie

icarus

she's a good kid, she mostly eyeballs pokemon/zelda/other anime art.

Sofox

The dialogue searcher is here: http://www.littlelevers.com/dmfa/dmfasearch.php
Whenever I want it, I just google "dmfa dialogue search" and it give me the Wiki page that links to it.