Colonization [Mature, OOC/Signup] (Closed)

Started by Arcalane, May 07, 2011, 06:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azlan

Sorry for the few days of being silent, been violently sick and bedridden.  Shall be catching up now  :bunny.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Arcalane

Roster updated. New IC post coming soon, looks like we'll need another 4x4. :B

ShadesFox

Question! Who is Marianne talking to?  Names are helpful <_<
The All Purpose Fox

Azlan

Quote from: ShadesFox on May 15, 2011, 11:56:41 PM
Question! Who is Marianne talking to?  Names are helpful <_<

That big guy over there... obviously.

Inumo

Wolfe, Shades. I'm trying to not use meta-info since, as far as I can tell (and we can always say she had too much a hangover to notice it), nobody's introduced themselves yet.

Azlan

Quote from: Inumo on May 16, 2011, 12:57:37 AM
Wolfe, Shades. I'm trying to not use meta-info since, as far as I can tell (and we can always say she had too much a hangover to notice it), nobody's introduced themselves yet.

It seems to have always been okay, for scene and flow, to use the character names in a narrative sense.  Meta-gaming would be more if Marianne approached Wolfe and said "hey Wolfe, what's up?" without the introduction.

Though it would be good to ask Arc, and so I shall, did the groups end up meeting one another before being cryogenicly stored?  Unless we are on a big reality show, I would hope so.  I imagine the volunteers had to be decon'd and then placed in isolation, probably solitary, for at least 72-hours to identify any possible diseases before some type of clean environment mission acclimation, training and preparation before being frosted.  Just a guess though.

AmberCross

I was under the impression that there are a lot of us on this ship. Sure we may have met several others, especially in related fields of job-work, but the list of who made it through cyrostasis is probably random enough that we haven't actually met each other except by coincidence.

Malakin

Yeah, the ones who made it out of cryo were rather random, so I would imagine that theres a reasonable chance that you might recognise the other 'survivors' by sight but not necessarily by name.

There is only 500 or so people on the ship, once you start splitting that down into various subcategories and jobs then the number of people related to your field would be rather small, so I guess you would know them by sight if not also by name. Officers would also be known by name I'm sure.

But for everyone else; I imagine there would have been a few meetings of as many people as possible for them to socially mingle and maybe for the few of the worse trouble makers to be weeded out asap before it is too late. There is a chance that you would have gotten to know a few people outside your speciality, but once you take into account the random selection from the cryo malfunctions and then the even smaller selection for this mission, the chances any of us would know the other is remote.

Derp, this whole post is a side comment to what I actually wanted to say :

If your going to be ambiguous about things, please include a (very) short and appropriately marked OOC explanation so the other players know how to react.
"The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.
"

Arcalane

Quote from: Azlan on May 16, 2011, 02:38:47 AM
Though it would be good to ask Arc, and so I shall, did the groups end up meeting one another before being cryogenicly stored?  Unless we are on a big reality show, I would hope so.  I imagine the volunteers had to be decon'd and then placed in isolation, probably solitary, for at least 72-hours to identify any possible diseases before some type of clean environment mission acclimation, training and preparation before being frosted.  Just a guess though.

It's quite likely, I'd imagine they were processed in groups at seperate locations though, or seperate areas of the same facilities. Whether or not people were in the same groups is another matter entirely. Use discretion... the most you probably know is name & prior profession.

Arcalane

Further character submissions will be reviewed and accepted, but nobody new is being deployed to the active team(s) until they get back. If you are not currently on the roster, no IC posting!

techmaster-glitch

Does the van have a standardized cybernetic-neuro interface?

Arcalane

Almost all ConFed stuff has a neural interface port - or several, for that matter. This allows combat vehicles to keep functioning at near full capacity even with injured or missing crew, and gives civilian drivers a better idea of the status of their vehicle.

AmberCross

Hey Azlan, did Rebecca make her remark in an under the breath sort of manner or was it something that might have possibly been overheard by the others? If so, Ari would like to point out that the Saharan desert was supposedly once a tropical rain-forest and that it's not that unheard of for climate zones to change after a long time. It's not that much of a stretch that this area USED to be humid before something happened to change the climate so that moisture didn't find its way to the region much anymore. A great example for any people from earth would be Mars which is also rich in iron (hence the red color) but similar to our current situation, very dry. My character may not know much about dirt, but that sort of offhand knowledge I think would be acceptable. These two are earth-centric examples though, and with everyone spread out over the galax(y/ies) they may be weird examples to use.

Malakin

Sooo tempted to climb one of those rocks just to see what you would do Arc :P
But since none of us are properly prepared, this sounds too risky to gamble on...

Escape will make me God.
"

AmberCross

Indeed Arcalane, would you say these things would require gear to climb? Or just skill? Cause if you just need to be competent then probably at least half the people present could make it up, though getting the sensor there would be harder.

Azlan

Quote from: AmberCross on May 26, 2011, 07:36:34 AM
Hey Azlan, did Rebecca make her remark in an under the breath sort of manner or was it something that might have possibly been overheard by the others? If so, Ari would like to point out that the Saharan desert was supposedly once a tropical rain-forest and that it's not that unheard of for climate zones to change after a long time. It's not that much of a stretch that this area USED to be humid before something happened to change the climate so that moisture didn't find its way to the region much anymore. A great example for any people from earth would be Mars which is also rich in iron (hence the red color) but similar to our current situation, very dry. My character may not know much about dirt, but that sort of offhand knowledge I think would be acceptable. These two are earth-centric examples though, and with everyone spread out over the galax(y/ies) they may be weird examples to use.

As she said, she is no expert.  Environmental microbiology does add a few soil, geology and ecology classes to the mix though.  Anything between "quotes" is spoken, if I italicize that is generally internal.

Arcalane

If you want to try climbing one of these, be my guest.

Pretty sure you won't manage it though. :B

AmberCross

Actually if I recall correctly those aren't too hard to climb... it just takes a while. Regardless, Ari will not be volunteering for this. He loves climbing and it was a hobby of his as a kid, but he gets self conscious around other people and he's just not in the mood for it right now. Plus the whole point would be to get a sensor post up there. That would bring climb from easy but long to not easy and longer. Unless someone has a really long rope that can be tied to a belt. Anyway, unless someone can come up with a really good reason otherwise, Ari thinks it is better to just not mention he can climb that thing.

Malakin

Escape will make me God.
"

ShadesFox

Me too. I sure hope no one was expecting Wolfe to try and scale one if those things.
The All Purpose Fox

Arcalane

"I'll post when I wake up"... was three days ago. :B

Filler post! Socialize whilst I figure out what you're going to do next. Also open for any more recruits/dropouts since you're back at camp.

Malakin

That was lucky, I dont seem to have missed anything important.
Had some issues with the ol internet connection for the last few days, hope it will be ok now.

Escape will make me God.
"

Inumo

Arcalane

So you want the dirt on the soil analysis, eh? :U

There's nothing out of the ordinary there. Acidic, red tone is indeed because of iron oxides. Apart from the geological oddities everything is normal. No weird chemicals, no strange trace elements, etc.

Arcalane

Hup, forgot to update status. Anyway, if nobody has anything else left they want to do, I'll do a 'moving back to base' post at some point in the next couple of days. Consider yourselves warned.

Ed: Also, the metal plate Ari found is very light. It's only a few millimeters thick and, again, about full handspan across. Lifting it would be trivial, unless you have frayed strings for muscles. :B

ShadesFox

I was just going to see if anyone else asks Wolfe what he was doing. Other wise he will just try and map the jamming.
The All Purpose Fox

Azlan

Someone should, but it won't be Rebecca.  She's too busy worrying about water and bad life decisions.

Inumo

Um... Again, what did my dirt tests come back with? One in the river's shallows by the main area, one further upstream (also in the shallows), and one in the middle of the river by the main area.

Arcalane

It's soil. Everything is normal, given the state of the planet. Nothing particularly weird here.

Inumo

I get the impression my job is highly unnecessary for this adventure. >.> I think from hereon in just assume I'm doing at least one dirt test, more than if there's reason to/time to, and only note if something exceptional shows up. Sound good?