Next Gen Systems

Started by Darkmoon, August 22, 2005, 11:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmoon

I dunno what people are planning to buy, but I have no immediate plans to buy the B360. I like what I'm seeing for it, but there aren't enough games to warrant it for me. Eventually yeah, and long before PS3... but not soon, certainly.

I'm waiting for Revolution. All they had to say was "SSB3 is a launch title" and I was already set to preorder.

Destina Faroda

I wanted the Revolution...until I found out their downloads wouldn't be free...or as extensive as originally promised.  Serious, Nintendo would be #1 in a minute if it just offered all those games for free.  No one's making any money off them any more, and for some of the rarer games, it'll be the only way for people to play them.
Sig coming...whenever...

Darkmoon

How much are they supposed to be?

And, even if they are for pay,. their netservice will be free. Play Revolution online for free as long as you have an Internet connection. That rocks.

Destina Faroda

No one's said how much those older games will cost, but I wouldn't pay a penny for them.

DS's Internet is already free.  Mario Kart DS is all I need.
Sig coming...whenever...

Darkmoon

Indeed it is. But you can't play SSM3 on the DS.

Mageknight Locke

the newer systems all seem to suffer from lack of originality in their launch titles, and all the vaguely original games are either rubbish or a mix and match of other game components. soon videogaming is going to rot and die off if the developers dont get some new ideas

Destina Faroda

Video games are not going to rot.  They might get bad, but look at Hollywood.  Despite all the crying the movie industry is still making money hand over fist.  Theaters are having a slighly down year after a string of record years.  The industry will not die any time soon.  It'll just get really terrible.

I think the biggest problem with video games as opposed to movies or other forms of entertainment is that it's too prohibitive for individuals to make one's own for distribution.  One can go out with a camera and make a film.  It might be a crappy film that is not known, but one can do it and burn it to DVD.  This can't be done with video games.  While there are homebrew games, RPGMaker, and the very rare instances like Alien Hominid that come from outside the industry, for the average gamer there's no way to actually make a game.
Sig coming...whenever...

Slayer...

I reserved my Xbox360, thank you very much ;)

Darkmoon

And once in a while you get a drastically different kind of game. I mean, when GTA3 came out, it blew people away. The gaming industry is still trying to figure out what sort of things it can do with the open format created by GTA.

Not that I hump GTA, but you get my point.

Personally, I look forward to Spore.

the_lego_man

Quote from: Destina Faroda on August 23, 2005, 12:32:46 PM
Video games are not going to rot.  They might get bad, but look at Hollywood.  Despite all the crying the movie industry is still making money hand over fist.  Theaters are having a slighly down year after a string of record years.  The industry will not die any time soon.  It'll just get really terrible.

I think the biggest problem with video games as opposed to movies or other forms of entertainment is that it's too prohibitive for individuals to make one's own for distribution.  One can go out with a camera and make a film.  It might be a crappy film that is not known, but one can do it and burn it to DVD.  This can't be done with video games.  While there are homebrew games, RPGMaker, and the very rare instances like Alien Hominid that come from outside the industry, for the average gamer there's no way to actually make a game.

That happens to be completely false.  It not impossible to make a game by yourself, although it IS more difficult than a movie.  Besides, since when do one man shows burnt onto a DVD make any difference.  Even the freelance distributions made to the movie industry were made by alot of research, hard work and dedication.  Making a game from scratch is not too much different, as long as you have the internet and a good amount of free time

Darkmoon

That's a yes an a no though. I mean, sure, people can make indy games, but the game market is a lot harder to get into and be successful in on an indy level. Honestly, you could make more money doing a sprite comic than you could being an indy game designer.

On the flip side, while you have to eventually find an indy release label in hollywood, you can make a decent career out of being an Independant Film Maker. Shit, if Kevin Smith can have a career.

And, because I can:  :spidey

Esnel Pla

Coincidentilly, independant film making is one of the reasons I will NOT be getting any of the new systems.

300 bucks can be much better spent.

Darkmoon

Esnel Pla

Half a centimeter of film.

Darkmoon

O_O that's it? How many frames does that get you?

Esnel Pla

For an average feature length movie, you probably need about a few thousand dollars worth of film, at least, depending on what size your using, though Kodak and Fuji have discounts for students and low-budget film-makers.

Still, though, with all the new systems MSRPing at 300 and pop and games 50, who has this kinda money? :( I'm still not even sure about getting a DS for Dawn of Sorrow.

Darkmoon

This is why I wait a year or two before buying any system. Why pay 300 bucks for a system I could get for 150 and 50 bucks for a game I could get for 20?

As for DoS... I dunno. It'd be the only game I buy a DS for, since I really have no desire to play portable games.

Slayer...

What's the problem with doing it all the filming digitally, showing it on DVD .at festivals, and, if a big movie company wants to release it in theaters, convert it to film when you know you'll have somewhat of a success..
...and, becuase I can... :wiggle

Esnel Pla

Digital looks like shit.

Darkmoon

It does tend to lack the quality of film.

OnyxSparrow

Quote from: Destina Faroda on August 23, 2005, 12:32:46 PM

I think the difference is in the avalible equipment. It's pretty easy to go out and get a camera and film a movie, even a bad one. The machine does the complex work for you. With a video game you have to know how to code, even if your game looks like crap and plays horribly. The gap-bridger is programs like Flash or Director that allow games to be made more easily than they ever were before. I think this is why games like Alien Hominid could be made. If they were starting from scratch in hard code opposed to using a flash basis, the game probably never would have been made.

It's all about progress of technology... making things easy to do when you don't have the ability to do it the hard way.

Darkmoon

Well, even big companies play that game, buying engines from one another to make other games out of them.

Remeber how many games used some form of the Quake engine?

OnyxSparrow

*Nodz* Of course... but on the other side, how many movies have started using some form of Bullet Time? Both media forms have the same pattern: come up with somthing new or an innovative way of working things and everyone will carbon copy. Why? Because it's proven to be popular and it's easier than doing it yourself the hard way by thinking of a way to do things yourself. Minimum amount of risk to you and your wallet. Of course innovation is what seperates the creative superstars from everyone else, both in movies and in games.

By the way, Alien Hominid isn't that innovative. We've seen similar style before in a little gem called Earthworm Jim, so it's really reusing a proven gaming platform. Add to that the ability to pre-market the game through an online version so the big companies don't have to start advertising it fresh and you've got a game that's not too expensive to produce and sell. So why NOT make it into a consol game? All the hard work's already been done for the suits before they even saw it.

ilpalazzo

Revolution and Ps3 for me.

What is the Backwards compatability like on the Revolution?

Darkmoon

Full compatability with the Game Cube, plus the ability to download games from all the previous systems (although I doubt that includes the VB or DS) for play on the Revolution. Could be neat, although the full compatability isn't the big selling point for me. Mostly I just want SSB3.

Mageknight Locke

actually theres already DS emulators flying around the net as portable console programming is childs play to rip if you know how to connect it to a computer

ilpalazzo

Quote from: Darkmoon on August 27, 2005, 08:54:26 PM
Full compatability with the Game Cube, plus the ability to download games from all the previous systems (although I doubt that includes the VB or DS) for play on the Revolution. Could be neat, although the full compatability isn't the big selling point for me. Mostly I just want SSB3.

Son of a.......  no cartridge based, all my snes nes and n64 games will collect dust  NNNNOOOOOOOO.

I hope downloading doesn't cost much.

Mageknight Locke

ummm you can download virtually any pre-PSX game on the net for free right now, its called emulation  :D

Destina Faroda

Yeah, but I want to use a controller without having to go through a lot of fuss.
Sig coming...whenever...

ilpalazzo

It's illeagle. Besides most of those are crap ad put spy ware on your Computer