Art shift from #1100ish to now

Started by McKathlin, November 20, 2010, 04:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McKathlin

Around Comic #1108 (http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1108.php), Amber announced that she was working on differentiating the characters' body types, learning to draw muscles, etc.

It looks like she's been shaking up face and eye types as well.  From about #1155 (http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1155.php onward, I notice a pronounced difference in eyes: they seem to be going to more realistic proportions and almond shape.  I think I like the big/cute/super-expressive eyes after the old style better.

Nevertheless, I welcome Amber's experimentations with the art style.  After all, that's how you learn and improve and get closer to drawing how you really want to draw.  Even the awesome can get awesomer.

So, what other art style changes have you noticed recently, and what do you think of them?
"My wisdom is slightly higher than my stupidity." ~Lawenia

Turnsky

a lotta artists will do this, especially if they feel the need to improve, or they don't want to be stuck in a stylistic rut for an eternity.

change is a good thing, after all.  :3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

R!P

Everything is fine but the eyes, it goes beyond the one eye lenght of distance between the 2 eyes and it bug me for some reasons ):

Whalefreezer

Quote from: R!P on November 30, 2010, 12:06:08 AM
Everything is fine but the eyes, it goes beyond the one eye lenght of distance between the 2 eyes and it bug me for some reasons ):
I concur. Though I do not know why.
Whipping out ye oldie Photoshop I found that the horizontal proportions have remained the same. It seems that it is how they are angled that makes them seem further apart. Looking at reference photos of humans and cats it seems that the new art style is more realistic and by any technical measure it should now be more natural. However I find them more un-natural. Bah, so much for the scientific method. I Like everything else though.

Now as an unintended side effect of the photoshopping, I present the following gif:

R!P

Quote from: Whalefreezer on November 30, 2010, 07:55:18 AM
Quote from: R!P on November 30, 2010, 12:06:08 AM
I concur. Though I do not know why.
Whipping out ye oldie Photoshop I found that the horizontal proportions have remained the same. It seems that it is how they are angled that makes them seem further apart. Looking at reference photos of humans and cats it seems that the new art style is more realistic and by any technical measure it should now be more natural. However I find them more un-natural. Bah, so much for the scientific method. I Like everything else though.

Now as an unintended side effect of the photoshopping, I present the following gif:

Sorry, i saw yor gift and....that's all i could think of X3

McKathlin

I'm glad someone else saw what I saw.  I feel validated.   :3
"My wisdom is slightly higher than my stupidity." ~Lawenia

OminousShadow

I see more of there being a BURP than a MEOW.
97% of teens would cry if they saw Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen from Twilight) standing on top of a skyscraper, about to jump. If you're one of the 3% who would sit there eating popcorn screaming "DO A FLIP, YOU SPARKLY (I am not smart enough to use polite words)!" then copy and paste.

Stig Hemmer

I am not an artist and my eye is not trained enough to make any learned comments.

Nevertheless, I would like to say that I approve wholely of any and all experimentation our dear artist does.  Even if the short-term result can be slightly jarring, the long-term improvements are always worth it.

Also, if it makes the process more fun and interesting, so much the better.
Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.