Any good book reccomendations?

Started by Hilary, August 07, 2006, 09:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJ

Quote from: Hilary on August 09, 2006, 12:14:07 PM
Quote from: RJ on August 09, 2006, 09:14:42 AM
Bill Bryson does a mix of rather interesting books from travel to origins of languages and science, but his books all contain random and rather amusing facts that you never would have figured.
I've read his A Brief History of the Universe. I liked it, entertaining and informative.

I enjoyed the parts where he said how all the scientists were crackpots who experimented on themselves :) (yes, sticking a needle in your eye DOES hurt)

Azlan

Most of what has been mentioned are good reads.

Writers that are not too shabby: Terry Brooks, Anne McCaffery, Mercedes Lackey, Piers Anthony and David Eddings.  Individual tastes may vary on them though.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Hilary

Quote from: Azlan on August 09, 2006, 10:37:24 PM
Writers that are not too shabby: Terry Brooks, Anne McCaffery, Mercedes Lackey, Piers Anthony and David Eddings.  Individual tastes may vary on them though.
I actually picked up an Anne McCaffery book on impulse at the library yesterday. For those who care, it's called No One Noticed the Cat, and it's pretty small (about the size of a CD case) and relatively short. It was great though, made me crack up a couple of times. (Knickers in the crypt... ahh... never gonna forget that.)

I have a couple of Terry Pratchett books now, and wow, they totally are all you people have cracked them up to be. (Heh, funky sentence.) Gaurds! Gaurds! is positively hilarious.
Quote from: RJ on August 09, 2006, 10:21:03 PM
I enjoyed the parts where he said how all the scientists were crackpots who experimented on themselves :) (yes, sticking a needle in your eye DOES hurt)
Hehe, bird poop on the satellite dishes.  xD Reminds me of Spaceballs (The radar's been jammed!) Erk... wierd connection time.

thosdsuthainn

Heehee... If you're looking for a series to keep you occupied for a while, I absolutely ADORE the Malazan Tales of the Fallen series. It's a little hard to figure how everything in his universe works the first time you read it, but it is a really amazing series... and each book is REEAAALLY long... Let's get a page count here, in order...

Gardens of the Moon; 703
Deadhouse Gates; 935
Memories of Ice; 1180
House of Chains; 1013
Midnight Tides; 932
The Bonehunters; 883

... with just about dictionary size font for the first five. (For no apparent reason, The Bonehunters is hardcover sized, but softcover, with a larger font.) It is a great series, just not the lightest read (in a few different senses of the phrase.) And apparently there are four more books coming.
And I agree with everyone who recommended Garth Nix, Anne McCaffery, and Anne Rice. They rock.  :)

Vidar

I'm surprised no-one mentioned the Elric books by Michael Moorcock (no, I didn't make up that last name).

Margeret Weiss and Tracy Hickman also write entertaining books.

Also, 1984 is an interesting read, even if it's not stricktly fantasy. It's where the phrase "Big Brother is watching you" comes from.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Tapewolf

Quote from: Vidar on August 10, 2006, 10:18:04 AM
I'm surprised no-one mentioned the Elric books by Michael Moorcock (no, I didn't make up that last name).

Yes, I can agree with that.  Some of them are a little patchy, but many of them are well worth reading.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

I tried one of those, and found it turgid and obscure.

Reckon you can suggest a reasonable one to start with, to take the original taste out of my mouth, as it were? :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Nikki

do we want novels or Graphic Novels/Manga? X3

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Hilary

Quote from: Xze-Xze on August 10, 2006, 11:29:03 PM
Anything you like, really, but I'll be more able to get ahold of regular novels, because I can get them for free at the library. *hugs it* But then, I have been known to sit all day in Borders and read graphic novels when I can't pay for them, so reccommend away. ^^ (It's a good thing they have free coffee at the Fresh Market next door, or else I'd go mad.)

Nikki

Quote from: Hilary on August 11, 2006, 12:10:31 AM
Quote from: Xze-Xze on August 10, 2006, 11:29:03 PM
Anything you like, really, but I'll be more able to get ahold of regular novels, because I can get them for free at the library. *hugs it* But then, I have been known to sit all day in Borders and read graphic novels when I can't pay for them, so reccommend away. ^^ (It's a good thing they have free coffee at the Fresh Market next door, or else I'd go mad.)
good lord you're like me...

i'll make a list ^^

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Roureem Egas

Hmm. It's been awhile since I've read an actual novel. I think the last new one I've read was a Redwall book. Those are always good, but I've yet to determine how long to wait before I can bother reading it cover to cover again. With any luck, I can continue stalling for a few more weeks. Anyways, to suggestions: Anne McCaffrey (already suggested) and her son whose name escapes me (he kind of continues the story of Pern). My psych teacher reccomended this one sci-fi writer and told me to google the guy. I can only say what I found bored me to tears, but then, I prefer flat out fantasy. I need to find more authors, so I appreciate this thread being here.

Specific books, I liked "The Lure" by Felice Picano. It has some adult content, but that's not why I picked it. <.< Then I wanted to read another of his novels but couldn't finish it. I 'll have to look for it sometime.

Then there's this one book I hated. I forgot the title, but the basic story had something to do with a guy who moves to L.A. while grieving, where he meets this couple trying to build their dream house and ends up drawn to their lives and their past. I want the hours I wasted on it back.

As for manga, there's a whole selection. I also spend a lot of time at Borders reading the stuff. my favorites include:
-Negima
-xxxHOLiC (I love this one)
-Tsubasa Chronicle
-Ranma 1/2
-Rave Master
-Fruits Basket
-Ouran Host Club
-Our Kingdom (cute)
-Her Majesty's Dog
-Ghost Hunt
-Rurouni Kenshin

That's all I remember. I'm such a geek.

Vidar

Quote from: Roureem Egas on August 11, 2006, 02:11:33 AM
-Negima
-xxxHOLiC (I love this one)
-Tsubasa Chronicle
-Ranma 1/2
-Rave Master
-Fruits Basket
-Ouran Host Club
-Our Kingdom (cute)
-Her Majesty's Dog
-Ghost Hunt
-Rurouni Kenshin

You forgot Urusei Yatsura, Oh My Goddess (no, not Charline), Inu Yasha, and Maison Ikkoku.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Lysander

To add to the Manga I'd say X/1999 and Sorcerer Hunters.
The only other two I've read are listed. :januscat
TytajLucheek

Hilary

I just started Negima and Fruits Basket a week or so ago, they = love. ^^
My library, due to my 'persuasion' (incessant nagging) has purchased some Ranma 1/2, InuYasha, and Fruits Basket. (I rawk. Free manga!)

**Edit** Oh yeah, they have Oh My Goddess! too.

Blazehawk

The only manga I've really been getting into is the Naruto manga. *rarrs at the anime fillers*

Though I have read Oh My Goddess, Chobits, Bleach, Bizenghast, Mark of the Succubus, and now my boyfriend is trying to get me to read Priest.

RJ

Graphic Novels? Um... to be honest, I don't read that much of them really (I can't get my hands on enough of them). But here's my reccomendations of ones I've looked at and liked:

Naruto- this one was obvious, wasn't it? I'm a huge fan of this, and the series has never steered me wrong. Kishimoto is a genius in his own right. He likes to place a lot of underlying themes in the plot (along with red herrings). The bad guys aren't your everyday villians either- you really have to enjoy how they've all got quirks in their own way.
Bleach - I've only started watching the anime, but I've seen a couple chapters of the later manga and I've quite liked many of the characters, like Orihime. But at the same time, the series is a lot like DBZ and a little tiring at times. The characters are enough to get to stay around though.
Chobits- classic. It's just one of those series you just have to see.
.hack//Legend of the Twilight- the difference between the anime and the manga is surprising, but cute none the less. This is only a smaller part of something greater though, so a few references might lose you. The series is still good by itself though.
One Piece- if only to see the comparison with the horrible work 4kids did, but the characters are all amazing, and Luffy is one of those guys you just gotta love. Also, steampunk genre is awesome.
Tokyo Mew Mew- see above. It's definitely a shoujo series, but it's got some really cute quirks.
Tenjho Tenge- even with the fanservice, there's quite an interesting plot there.
Kamichama Karin- biggest eyes ever, seriously. And cute enough to rot your teeth on top of that. The main character, Karin, is a total goof.

Here's some reccomendations I've gotten from another forum I go to:

Black Cat-
QuoteCharacters are  interesting, and the story line is something easy to understand. The reason why I loved this manga was because I could understand the story easily, without having to even turn back to previous pages. XD *unlike Naruto and Bleach, which has some complicated elements in it*
Karin-
QuoteAs if a vampire who produces so much blood it comes out her nose isn't enough *snort*
Goong-
Quote1st: The art is stunningly beautiful. The characters are sooo cute! Both the boys and the girls are really pretty.
2nd: The story is really catching. The charactes are interesting. There's this cold and selfish prince who has no interest in marrying a common girl, the main character Chae Gyeong who hates the strict palace world and her husband, the prince's cousin, Yul, who was once destined to be the king and is also interested in Chae Gyeong....
Blade of the Immortal-
QuoteThat this manga is not more popular is mind boggling to me.  I suppose it's because it's not going to appeal to the very young or the weak of stomach. This is one of those titles so good, it's heartbreaking to read it a) because it is that gripping and b) you don't want to go through the agony of having to finish it.
In Japan it won the prestigious Media Arts Award and in America, it won the 2000 Eisner Award.  Not hard to see why.
Eyeshield 21-
QuoteOkay, the main thing that makes me really likes this manga is because the team captain, Youchi Hiruma. This guy is very interesting (in evil way)...using all kind of method (most of 'em are kinda extreme) to 'recruit' members. He's the kind of guy who plans far ahead, a good strategist, and BADASS; far from being naive. There are other interesting (should i say wierdly unique??) characters.
I like how the author matches every football team's name with their characters (knight, cowboy, egyptian, etc)

bill

This is one that I've been addicted to for the past few weeks.
http://www.harpercollins.com/books/9780060760243/How_to_Lose_a_Battle/index.aspx

Awesome book, get it if you're interested at all in military history.

ilpalazzo

I like to read Larry Niven, Steven King, and Piers Anthony. These Authors write excellent books. I would actually Suggest RingWorld from Larry Niven

Hilary

Quote from: BillBuckner on August 12, 2006, 11:12:25 AM
This is one that I've been addicted to for the past few weeks.
http://www.harpercollins.com/books/9780060760243/How_to_Lose_a_Battle/index.aspx
Awesome book, get it if you're interested at all in military history.
*pounces* That looks great-- it might help me with a story I'm working on, too. Bonus.

That's a great list, RJ. A vampire with blood coming out of her nose? Sounds good to me. >:3
I've borrowed/stolen some Naruto from my friend's brother. << It's really good,  I like Kakashi best. ^^

xHaZxMaTx

Michael Crichton is an effing genius.  Jurassic park is like ten times better than the movie.  My favorite books by him include 'Prey' and 'State of Fear.'

I also really enjoyed the Halo series.