UbiSoft updates Wii launch schedule... 7 games

Started by Saist, August 05, 2006, 09:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saist

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20060803005720&newsLang=en

Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WW II
Far Cry
Open Season
GT Pro Series
Monster 4X4
Red Steel
Rayman Raving Rabbids

I'm not sure, but I think this sets a record for the number of games Ubi Soft has ready for ANY console launch.

Rowne

This is good because ever since Beyond Good & Evil, I've liked Ubi Soft.  Truly, I've liked everything they've done.  I was worried at one point that I wouldn't like them because they were about to adopt Star-Force but they changed their stance on that even, so I had reason to like them even more for setting a good example.

Supporting the Wii just fits in nicely with my reasons to appreciate them as a company.  I hope they'll keep up the support too and that this isn't just a release thing.

---- Edit

You might want to [ url ] that link, I'm not saying you should, I'm just letting you know it's a real page-stretcher.

Blazehawk

Hmm...Far Cry on the Wii, you say? Sounds fun. :D

I wonder if it will include all the content in the Xbox releases? Since I'm not too keen on the console, I never got to try out all the new stuff, like traps. *wonders why PC owners of Far Cry got shafted*

Saist

Quote from: Seraline on August 05, 2006, 11:14:09 PM
Hmm...Far Cry on the Wii, you say? Sounds fun. :D

I wonder if it will include all the content in the Xbox releases? Since I'm not too keen on the console, I never got to try out all the new stuff, like traps. *wonders why PC owners of Far Cry got shafted*

This is what Gamesindustry reported. I have yet to talk with Ubisoft myself:

QuoteAccording to Detoc, Far Cry will include elements of Xbox title Far Cry Instincts Evolution, in addition to a new storyline, levels, characters and equipment. First-person shooting control will be handled by the Wii remote, as will piloting of vehicles like cars, trucks and boats.

Right off hand this seems to be a "new" not-yet seen before Far Cry, however using the same engine and gameplay as in the Xbox version.

Blazehawk

They are adding the Instincts Evolution content and new stuff too? If that's true, then I'm definitely putting that on preorder ASAP!  ~_^

Saist

okay, kinda going to go back here to address your other question on why PC gamers got shafted, and it's something you'll see again with F.E.A.R.

CryTek, the team byhind Far Cry, sold the rights of the Far Cry series with Jack Carver to UbiSoft. Ubisoft also got a limited license to continue to use the CryEngine as developed with Far Cry, and to develop sequels off of it. 

CryTek moved on and began work on Crysis, one of the first games to include a DirectX 10 (Shader Model 3.0) rendering path.

As far as the terms of the deal carried out, I do not believe that UbiSoft was in ownership of a license to develop "New" content for the X86 PC platform.

You'll see a similar event occur with F.E.A.R.  Monolith owns the character rights and the story rights to the F.E.A.R. game. However, their publisher, Vivendi, owns the actual Title of F.E.A.R.  The result is that over the next couple of months Monolith is going to detail their plans for the next game following the F.E.A.R. storyline, while Vivendi is going to detail F.E.A.R. 2, which won't have anything in common with the original F.E.A.R.

In many cases, what appears to be one side getting screwed, is a matter of who has the license to do the work.

Blazehawk

Ahh, I see. I was wondering what was going on there. I figured they would've released an expansion pack or a downloadable add-on or something. Oh well...as long as the Wii gives me all the features I've been missing out on, I'll be content. :) Thanks for clearing that up, though.

Vaguely Creepy

I'm just looking forward to Red Steel and Rayman: Raving Rabbids. The newest NP magazine had articles on both of them, and I'm really intrigued. Rayman sounds like it's going to be a complete laugh-riot, and the guns and swordplay aspects of Red Steel sound like they're going to be a blast.