Star Wreck'd RP: Interest Call

Started by Drayco84, August 07, 2010, 02:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draken

Question:  Just how close to communications is Engineering?  >.>
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Drayco84

You mean, physically?

Eh, I wanna say that most everything is corridors and stairs, but I need to make that model to be sure... Suffice it to say that nothing is going to be far from anything else.

WE HAVE A CAPTAIN! AND HE'S A KIRK! (That will probably be sorely disappointed, eh heh heh heh...)

Congrats Schaza! Try not to let everyone else drag you down to their level of insanity!
Congrats Azlan! You'll probably be forced into early retirement with this mission!

SquirrelWizard

USS Ogud... from its christening by its first crew... it didn't help that the man organizing the christening had a mental break down from his posistion as chaplan on the ship.
Update Status: Zombified

<Tezkat> Talking to yourself is a sign of impending mental collapse.
<SquirrelWizard> I talk to myself all the time, and I'm the sanest guy I know.

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

Azlan

Depending on the ship design, locations can vary.  In Star Trek, the main communications station is typically on the bridge and the communications array is typically near the bottom of the saucer section or somewhere in the hull section.

In a Babylon 5 Earth Force ship, communications stations are on the bridge, the communications technician's room is behind or below the bridge and the communications arrays are at the very front portion of the ship's hull.

In a Star Wars Star Destroyer, comms is in one of the pit areas on the bridge and the arrays are in an unknown location (in the old Lucas Arts X-Wing vs Tie Fighter game, the communications antenna was on the back of the bridge tower I believe).

In a somewhat modern U.S. Navy vessel, the main radio operator is on the bridge and the Radio room is behind the Bridge (aircraft carrier), below the bridge (cruisers and frigates) or near weaps (some nuclear submarines).  My information here is a bit out of date.  The arrays themselves tend to be on masts, above the bridge section or scattered around the ship.  they don't tend to put the communications areas near the engineering area as that tends to be deep in the bowels of the ship.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

SquirrelWizard

another thing about placement is keeping in mind whether the ship is designed solely for space flight, or it can make atmospheric landings.

For just space flight, ships can branch out at all angles as long as it doesn't affect the ships functions. If the ship is to enter the atmosphere with the possibility of landing on the surface, then typically they tend to have their undersides smooth for landing.
Update Status: Zombified

<Tezkat> Talking to yourself is a sign of impending mental collapse.
<SquirrelWizard> I talk to myself all the time, and I'm the sanest guy I know.

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

AmberCross

Quote from: Draken on August 08, 2010, 02:42:02 PM
Question:  Just how close to communications is Engineering?  >.>
*does the evil laughter thing*

On a side note... it's Azlan! And right after my famous persons speech! God damn it Murphy I thought I'd be safe in this tiny corner of the forum >.<

Drayco84

You guys'll get whatever the heck I cobble together from Legos.

The good news is that I've been designing lego spaceships for quite some time now. Most of them look pretty damn cool, if you ask me. (I'm also usually holding a Nerf gun to the head of whoever I'm asking the question. I'm quite sure that helps.)

Drayco84

Quote from: AmberCross928 on August 08, 2010, 04:15:18 PM
On a side note... it's Azlan! And right after my famous persons speech! God damn it Murphy I thought I'd be safe in this tiny corner of the forum >.<
Nope. The most famous people on the forum were players in Furcadia, an online RP that the comic is based on. Plus, I was hoping to get an experienced RPer to play captain. (Especially since I've already admitted that I'm making this up as I go along, more or less.)

AmberCross

I count famous by whether or not I know who they are before meeting them by reputation. The fact that Azlan is in the comic (and to my knowledge, shows up in Shivae also) qualifies for this.

Drayco84

Azlan shows up in Shivae?

Are you sure it's not just because the name is used by a very famous lion from "The Chronicles of Narnia"?

Inumo

Grrr... Now I can't decide between "duty" and delight... Should I keep my vampire bat and have fun with him, or should I make a new char for first scapegoat and get the game going... >:L

AmberCross

Quote from: Drayco84 on August 08, 2010, 04:37:52 PM

Are you sure it's not just because the name is used by a very famous lion from "The Chronicles of Narnia"?
http://cyantian.net/akaelae/2010/01/14/01142010/

Very sure. He sticks around for five strips or so. Probably longer but this comic hasn't updated past that yet.

VAE

Methinks this is interesting, I think i'll wait with posting untill all the other char sheets will be around though, since i don't want to duplicate anyone by accident.
This might be the right place for Sh0d4n if i can find an excuse for him to be here ... Bwhahaha
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Drayco84

Hurry up about though, Danman. We only need a first officer before I can start getting this shipwreck rolling.

If somebody wants it, I could make up Navigator or a few other positions. (Or they could.)

And I assure you, it'll be hard for you to duplicate anyone.

That_wolf

Question, How will our councilor/therapist be a rock? I'm confused.
Abel needs a hug...

Drayco84

Quote from: That_wolf on August 08, 2010, 05:09:38 PM
Have you ever tried talking to a brick wall? I have and it's actually pretty therapeutic...

Brick walls don't judge you, they don't make snide comments, they just sit there and (presumably) listen to your five-hour-long rant with no interruptions, and no stupid suggestions. In a related sense, a rock would work pretty well too.

I'm trying to see if Shachaza will go for a psychic rock or something... Maybe kinda hash out something based off of Star Control 2's Taalo. (Which, were rock-like lifeforms that sadly, the mind-controlled Ur-Quan wiped out.)

VAE

Quote from: Drayco84 on August 08, 2010, 05:08:45 PM
Hurry up about though, Danman. We only need a first officer before I can start getting this shipwreck rolling.

If somebody wants it, I could make up Navigator or a few other positions. (Or they could.)

And I assure you, it'll be hard for you to duplicate anyone.
Good... the AI will be sent to you once i come back from work tomorrow, and of course make up an excuse for why it is there
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

hapless

Quote from: AmberCross928 on August 08, 2010, 04:49:47 PM
Quote from: Drayco84 on August 08, 2010, 04:37:52 PM

http://cyantian.net/akaelae/2010/01/14/01142010/

Very sure. He sticks around for five strips or so. Probably longer but this comic hasn't updated past that yet.

From my understanding, it was a paid cameo.
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

Azlan

Indeed, I like Tiff and support her when I can... it was a neat way to have the best of both worlds.  Now back to RP discussions.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

hapless

Hey, I'd love to join, but my imagination went fishing ten years ago and did not call back since.

Anyway, I hope this'll get up to nice speed and will be fun both for the players, and the readers.... definitely seems to be having potential.
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

ShadesFox

I would love to join, but it looks like this has already filled up X3
The All Purpose Fox

Drayco84

Quote from: ShadesFox on August 08, 2010, 08:57:14 PM
I would love to join, but it looks like this has already filled up X3
Then invent a position!

Heck, I could open up a Maintenance, Navigation, come on and throw something at me!

ShadesFox

I will be Roger Wilco, for Truth, Justice, and Really Clean Floors!
Actually, I barely remember that game X3

I'll try and think up something soonish.
The All Purpose Fox

Drayco84

Before I leave for a while. I'd just like to say...

Bloody hell, people! I'll even accept Stowaway! (But only if they've got a bounty for a VERY stupid reason.)
However, the decision of the crew turning you in for the reward money is up to them.

That_wolf

Psst, Become... super janitor... hero... spy... lord.
Abel needs a hug...

Shachza

Quote from: That_wolf on August 08, 2010, 05:09:38 PM

You've never had a Pet Rock have you?  It will be like that, but even more theraputic.
            <-- #1 that is!

Drayco84

Good news, everyone! The ship is (mostly) finished and it does look pretty kick-ass!

As an added bonus, the main reactor is right behind the bridge! Meanwhile, the primary escape pod (Correction, the ONLY escape pod that may or may not function...) is right in front of the bridge!

Now, if only I can get my hands on a digital camera to snap a photo of this thing...

Draken

Sweet!  As for the camera thing, maybe a cell phone?  Near as I can tell, they can connect to computers.  Dunno how though.   :U
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Inumo

Quote from: Draken on August 09, 2010, 11:02:58 AM
Sweet!  As for the camera thing, maybe a cell phone?  Near as I can tell, they can connect to computers.  Dunno how though.   :U

The phone usually comes with a CD with the software, though you can usually find it online too. They also come with a USB to <insert phone's port type here> cable so you can link 'em up.

Drayco84

No cell, but the netbook has a built-in webcam that works in PCLOS. I can try to take a picture with that...

EDIT: I'm watching myself... Watch myself... Who's watching myself... It's freaky...

Aaaaaaand here we are...