Lush Wasteland: A Post-apocalyptic Cyberpunk World - Shut down

Started by Inumo, August 01, 2010, 11:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inumo

The RP has shut down; see here for reflections.

QuoteAaaaaaaaand we're live! The IC thread is here. For anyone that wants to join up, here's the world for you:

It is the year 2205. America and Brazil have caused a nuclear winter via mutual destruction, at the same time wiping out both North and South America. As the incoming wave of dirt and other stuff headed towards Eurasia, the HB Corporation rapidly constructed an underground complex and holds a purchase-entry sweepstakes for 300,000 people to live there and hide while the winter passes. When it finished a year later, the complex was finished, the debris cloud had covered the Earth, and the exits were sealed off with air-tight doors, sealing off the residents from the rest of the world. Those lucky enough to get in relocated life underground, while the world above froze and fought itself to death.

Fast forward to 2350. The complex, now called Rya, has been expanded, developed, and divided. The corporation has lost control, turning into seven factions that now hold control over separate regions. Kahn is a democracy that attempts solely to stay out of trouble, keeping all research and trade internalized. Jas is a communist faction that has thus far managed to mix in just enough democracy to prevent dictatorships. They have been focusing on defensive and medical technology research, seeking to defend everyone and keep their health low-cost. Mak, a monarchy, focuses on agricultural research in an attempt to bring about a medieval social system while maintaining the benefits of modern society. Cla, a dictatorship in all the worst ways, is highly interested in military research in order to control the entirety of Rya. Pohd, an almost anarchist faction, allows all manner of genetic research to take place, with an enhanced military ensuring that there is no loss of control. Naf, a corrupted democracy, focuses on everything and nothing, thanks to the wide range of corporations that seek to earn as much money as they can. Finally, Aeth, a theocracy, has focused their research into computer and energy sciences, at the direction of a self-developed AI referred to as "the One."

On the surface of Earth, however, a ragtag group of men, women, its, and others have escaped and gathered in an attempt to restore the planet to its former glory. With the help of some of the brighter minds in science, they have recreated plant-life to suit their needs, funding their projects to rebuild the surface in other ways through a neutral courier service, delivering messages and packages from faction to faction with the assurance of a neutral stance and lack of any spying.

In terms of tech for you guys, I'm taking a very go-ahead style for it; if you can make it make some sense and sound plausible with science, go ahead. There's some information I haven't put up yet here. If you can't find the answer to a question you have, send me a PM, and I'll make up the answer on the spot tell you what you need to know, and maybe a few things you don't. Anthro characters and hybrid human-anthros are allowed through genetic augmentation or mutation. If this sounds to your tastes, go ahead and whip up a character using this sheet:

Name:

Prior Faction Affiliation:
Status with Above Faction:
Reason for Joining/Assisting Factionless:

Genetic Augmentations?:
Cybernetic Enhancements?:
Mutations?:

Physical Description:

Extra Background/Trivia:

Submit it to me in a PM so we don't clutter up the thread too much. If you want to hide bits of information, go ahead and do so; so long as I know who your character is truthfully, I'm fine with letting you only reveal one facet to the rest of the players.

OOC Comment Info - Please read!!! OOC comments in the thread will be done consistently through double parenthesis. If it's an important detail that you want other people to notice, make the comment green. If it's a question, make it teal. All my GM statements will be done in red. Very important things will be bold, and strong suggestions will be italicized. The colors can also be used for IC stuff, if you want.

Aside from that, I do want to point out that this is my first time GMing via internet. As such, I need you, the players, to let me know when I'm going too fast, when I'm focusing on details that don't interest you, and the like. If this all works out, we should have quite the smashing time with this.

Current Characters:

techmaster-glitch as Traxen Ridgrey.
Meany as Elberta Tudor.
Basilisk as Darkshine.
SquirrelWizard as Emily Vallenwhite.
Tezkat as Marcus "Sparky" Watson

Dropped Characters:

WhiteFox as Arial Heuristal.
Ashen Star as Grrrl.

techmaster-glitch

Hmm, I think I may like to join this, and I can probably repurpose one of my characters for here... ;)

I'll probably have questions soon though, after I've thought about this for a little bit and examined it closer.

WhiteFox

This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Inumo

Quote from: WhiteFox on August 02, 2010, 01:22:09 AM
I might try it. What's the average technology level like?

Every faction has laser rifles, permanent energy shield structures that stop high-speed objects, air and water filtration systems, and undecipherable nearly undecipherable networking capabilities (hydrogen atoms interspersed between the bytes of data break it all if you grab one of them on accident). Genetic augmentation is available, though not always used. Hover-cars and radiation-shielded hover-vans are used for major transport, otherwise it's all on foot. Body armor is available for all lead-based rounds. Food is grown from cell cultures and openly recycling the dead (people understand the need for soylent green) Depending on the faction, some areas may be farther along (check the first post for which focused which). I think that answers your question... Let me know if there's an area you want to know more about.

SquirrelWizard

somewhat interested, but cant dedicate my full attention at the moment (going through paperwork hell). should be around later to give it a full review and post any questions I have.

k, review over. I got a few questions.

Exactly how dangerous is the surface of Earth? Is there any flora or fauna that adapted/survived/reintroduced? Is it so bad that it requires environmental suits to operate in it? also, what is the general status of the infrastructure in the various governments. Is it your classical post apocalyptic world? or have they rebuilt some? Was there never any post apocalyptic conditions to begin with?

Each faction has access to certain equipment. But how accessable is this equipment? Is it limited only to specific individuals? (IE laser rifles being military only.) Or does the accessability depend under whatever government you are under. Do people on the surface have access to the same equipment?

Are cybernetic enhancement available, and how advanced are the ones available.
Update Status: Zombified

<Tezkat> Talking to yourself is a sign of impending mental collapse.
<SquirrelWizard> I talk to myself all the time, and I'm the sanest guy I know.

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

That_wolf

If I can do this, what with sports and school coming up, then I will. However, that's a very big IF.
Abel needs a hug...

VAE

Now, i loved Fallout, and Fallout II, the first being the first modern game i played, not to mention this is going to take place in russian plains.... even though this does not involve Furrae, it makes me mighty interested
Let's say that if i don't get into OSaS, (there is a 67% chance of that since there are three of us trying to get one place) i will give this one a shot.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Inumo

Quote from: SquirrelWizard on August 02, 2010, 12:38:37 PM
somewhat interested, but cant dedicate my full attention at the moment (going through paperwork hell). should be around later to give it a full review and post any questions I have.

k, review over. I got a few questions.

Exactly how dangerous is the surface of Earth? Is there any flora or fauna that adapted/survived/reintroduced? Is it so bad that it requires environmental suits to operate in it? also, what is the general status of the infrastructure in the various governments. Is it your classical post apocalyptic world? or have they rebuilt some? Was there never any post apocalyptic conditions to begin with?

Each faction has access to certain equipment. But how accessable is this equipment? Is it limited only to specific individuals? (IE laser rifles being military only.) Or does the accessability depend under whatever government you are under. Do people on the surface have access to the same equipment?

Are cybernetic enhancement available, and how advanced are the ones available.

The surface of Earth has gotten to the point that, should you go out unshielded and un-augmented, you would instantly have skin cancer, in addition to a few other cancers and mutations. Enough plants have survived to keep the air breathable, but only just. Even then, they are mostly near the equator (a far cry from Russia), as it is where the last remnants of the ozone have collected. The Factionless has managed to create a couple of plants that can survive with plant-cancer and have enough redundancies of photosynthesis to keep air going, but they are tightly controlled and planted using low-tech camo and other methods to prevent them from being found, as they are also used as Factionless hubs. Environmental suits aren't necessary, so long as you're radiation shielded or otherwise protected. However, the Factionless have spread enough rumors and false data packets to give the impression that you would die within a few hours if you went out only with a radiation shield.

I'm not entirely sure I follow with your question about the infrastructure, but I'll try to answer as best I can. All the other ex-countries' populations had come together to create Rya, and those that couldn't make it simply died. The seven factions grew as their founders either placed themselves or were placed in leadership positions. For example, with Cla, an ex-mafia thug had gathered up a gang and created his own mob, placing himself as leader with childhood friends as his defenders. From there, he took over a portion of Rya and declared that portion the Cla District, and he the provincial leader. Is this what you meant?

Accessibility is defined as according to the ideology of the faction. For example, with Aeth, those that are the rank-and-file, One-fearing people must place requisition orders for pieces of technology and such forth with the priests, who send it to the Disciples, who send it to the One. The zealots that defend the borders are given higher priority, superseded by the priests, who are less important than the Disciples. Other factions have different ways of managing the tech. The Factionless get their new tech through black markets, smuggling, and bartering in exchange for messenger services.

Finally, cybernetic enhancement is available. After all, this wouldn't really be cyberpunk without it, would it? :P In terms of advancement, it ranges from exoskeletons that form-fit the body, to robo-suits, to prosthetic replacements, to inter-cranial memory and processing enhancements.

Let me know if this doesn't answer your questions completely.

Quote from: That_wolf on August 02, 2010, 04:34:32 PM
If I can do this, what with sports and school coming up, then I will. However, that's a very big IF.

I eagerly await the result of your activities. My school year's starting up soon too, but I'm aiding for at least one period for the first semester, and I always manage to find the time to read forums. :P

SquirrelWizard

As for the infrastructure is the major city your classic post apocalyptic grunge city where there is dirt and rubble all over the place, shoddy water systems, poor refuse management, ect... or is the city considerably cleaner?
Update Status: Zombified

<Tezkat> Talking to yourself is a sign of impending mental collapse.
<SquirrelWizard> I talk to myself all the time, and I'm the sanest guy I know.

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

Inumo

Quote from: SquirrelWizard on August 02, 2010, 08:03:00 PM
As for the infrastructure is the major city your classic post apocalyptic grunge city where there is dirt and rubble all over the place, shoddy water systems, poor refuse management, ect... or is the city considerably cleaner?

Oooooh... I think there must be some accidental misunderstanding. Rya was built underground, and has been maintained to prevent collapses etc. So, it's actually relatively clean, though somewhat claustrophobic in the back-streets due to a lack of a sky overhead.

Quote from: danman on August 02, 2010, 07:25:17 PM
Now, i loved Fallout, and Fallout II, the first being the first modern game i played, not to mention this is going to take place in russian plains.... even though this does not involve Furrae, it makes me mighty interested
Let's say that if i don't get into OSaS, (there is a 67% chance of that since there are three of us trying to get one place) i will give this one a shot.

It's not exactly the Russian plains... more like the area of Russia near the Ukraine, Georgia, and Azerbaijan borders.

Inumo

All right, I've whipped up a quick character sheet for anyone that wants to spend time and make a character. After all, it's better to create and have it never seen than to have it wanted but never made in lieu of caution! :P

techmaster-glitch

A question; Aside from Aeth (why is it ALWAYS a theocracy?), which faction has the most advanced robotics and cyborg/cybernetics?

Inumo

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on August 04, 2010, 12:15:34 AM
A question; Aside from Aeth (why is it ALWAYS a theocracy?), which faction has the most advanced robotics and cyborg/cybernetics?

In which direction? I really should put up a note about that... In Rya, cybernetics is less the end of advancement and more a tool to advance with, like how in current times we use computer processing power etc. as a way to advance other fields, not as the goal to optimize and ultimize (is that even a word?). Sure, there are companies that focus on it specifically, but they aren't the highest echelon of technological development.

techmaster-glitch

If I understand correctly, you mean everyone uses some cybernetics/cyborgs?

Alright then, how about plain robotics? Drones, autonomous bots, or full AIs? It sounds to me like Kahn might be the ones second to Aeth in that respect, btu I don't know...

Inumo

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on August 04, 2010, 12:40:59 AM
If I understand correctly, you mean everyone uses some cybernetics/cyborgs?

Alright then, how about plain robotics? Drones, autonomous bots, or full AIs? It sounds to me like Kahn might be the ones second to Aeth in that respect, btu I don't know...

Yes, to varying degrees.

Actually, with Aeth, the One won't allow AI research because it wants to maintain its control. If there was another AI, it could be able to replace it. Very little is known about Kahn, since they remain so closed off. The Factionless have been working at making some contacts, but so far, it's only been a "we ask the questions" situation. Your best bets for having AIs would either be renegade Cla robots or a Naf experiment. I mean, Kahn could have AIs in the works (though I doubt they'd escape the rigid border patrol), and a renegade Aeth scientist could create an AI and smuggle it out, but they are less likely scenarios, and would also have a lot of compatibility issues or lesser learning abilities, respectively.

techmaster-glitch

Actually, I'm not entirely keen on full AIs...at least, not plural. My character might have an AI just as an advisor/helper/foil, but the actual robots won't be sentient (but they will be advanced and complex). I am more interested in drones and bots.

Inumo

Yeah, sorry. I forgot about the second half of your question when I was writing that. In terms of drones and robots, there are both human-like creations, some of which are used as replacement bodies, and utilitarian 'bots. Generally, there is some programming to allow for autonomous function, but they can be taken control of at any point. Designers are usually careful to keep a robot's programming dumb enough to prevent accidental AIs. Again, depending on the developing faction, a robot can do any job necessary. Also, Aeth is the most advanced in the field, able to create multiple-task robots that can perform a wide variety of functions with a minimal amount of space used (think super Swiss-army knife).

techmaster-glitch

Alright, cool, we're on the same page now. And on that note...so, who is second-best to Aeth in this regard?

Inumo

Militarily, it's Cla (a given, all thoughts considered). For all-purpose robots, Mak is the faction you'd want, unless you pay a Naf corporation enough cash to do better.

Drayco84

What's the main modes of transportation? *Crosses fingers.* Please say tanks... Please say tanks...

Tezkat

Hmm... sounds interesting.

Since it appears to be question time, Tezkat adds a few more to the list...

What kind of telecommunications infrastructure exists? Are the various factions of Rya internetworked? How do those above ground communicate? Do the spacers keep in touch?

How heavily integrated into daily life are virtual and/or augmented reality?

Do nanoscale devices play a significant role in medicine or warfare? Can they self-replicate? Do any factions have general assemblers?

What does computing technology look like in 2350 (i.e. is it based on old fashioned semiconductor chips, organic circuitry, photonic crystals, etc.)?

What energy source(s) power everything?
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

techmaster-glitch

Cla; the military dictatorship? Meh, I'm not that into military hardware...

Mak for all purpose, and Mak is the...huh? Mak's the agrarian monarchy who wants to be medieval? Does Not Compute!

Naf corproation...Naf's the currupted democracy overrun by it's own mini corporations?

...Well, darnit! Two questions then; What does Kahn have going for it, and on another track, are there defectors from the various factions who've managed to abscond with their own gear and research?

And...oh yes! Of course! What did happen to those that escaped into space? Have any of them sent scouts or larger parties to return?

Inumo

Gah! Stupid storms and killing my power and wrecking the post I'd half-finished... Anyways.

Quote from: Drayco84 on August 04, 2010, 11:33:53 AM
What's the main modes of transportation? *Crosses fingers.* Please say tanks... Please say tanks...

Underground, the majority of transport is done on foot or by hover-scooter/hover-board. On the surface, most people use heavily armored/shielded hover-autos, like vans or cars. Tanks are present, in a sense, but not common, since most warfare is done underground. The Factionless, however, will usually stick to foot transport since it's always there. On bigger ops, though, they can appropriate more durable means of transport.

Quote from: Tezkat on August 04, 2010, 01:44:04 PM

Hmm... sounds interesting.

Since it appears to be question time, Tezkat adds a few more to the list...

What kind of telecommunications infrastructure exists? Are the various factions of Rya internetworked? How do those above ground communicate? Do the spacers keep in touch?

How heavily integrated into daily life are virtual and/or augmented reality?

Do nanoscale devices play a significant role in medicine or warfare? Can they self-replicate? Do any factions have general assemblers?

What does computing technology look like in 2350 (i.e. is it based on old fashioned semiconductor chips, organic circuitry, photonic crystals, etc.)?

What energy source(s) power everything?

Everything has relocated to low-bandwidth network programs that enable VOIP, IM, e-mail, video conferences, etc. The Internet is still going strong, and is used for any inter-faction discussions. The same goes for the Factionless, though they use organic systems rather than artificial. The spacers have assumed that all life on Earth has fried, and left the solar system before they could make sure.

The AR/VR trend has come and gone on Earth, circa 2125-2180. As such, only a few companies have AR/VR services, which have fallen into disrepair and are no longer updated.

Nanotech is used frequently in the medical field. In warfare, they are used only to support a soldier or in conjunction with a drone to deploy the devices close to the target. The ever-present drafts make them too unpredictable to be used otherwise. Self-replicating nanotech is only granted to those that are governed by a larger AI, in order to preven over-replication and material usage. The machining of parts has gotten much more advanced, to the point one could simply scan in a blueprint, put in the necessary materials, and have it built. However, the creation of the raw materials has been deemed too risky to be performed, since even one errant electron can accidentally start a nuclear explosion.

This is another "what faction are you looking at" kind of question. In most cases, it is very similar to modern methods, only on a much smaller scale (for example, a mediocre laptop's hardware today could be fit onto a chip wafer about the size of a dime). However, with Aeth, they've figured out how to use gamma rays to work their computers, transmitting their signals over the surface of Earth where they assume nobody will be. For the Factionless, they use organic computer systems that are grown similar to a human brain, only with plants. If they need to get something outside their network, they have a signal converter implanted into a specialty tree-stump-like hub.

Specialty nuclear fusion and solar power are used to power almost everything. Combined with the obsession over energy-efficiency that most developers use, it allows for enough power to support almost twice the current population.

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on August 04, 2010, 01:47:31 PM
Cla; the military dictatorship? Meh, I'm not that into military hardware...

Mak for all purpose, and Mak is the...huh? Mak's the agrarian monarchy who wants to be medieval? Does Not Compute!

Naf corproation...Naf's the currupted democracy overrun by it's own mini corporations?

...Well, darnit! Two questions then; What does Kahn have going for it, and on another track, are there defectors from the various factions who've managed to abscond with their own gear and research?

And...oh yes! Of course! What did happen to those that escaped into space? Have any of them sent scouts or larger parties to return?

I suppose I should clarify: they want a medieval social system, while keeping all of the benifits of modern technology.

Yes. Think of the faction name Naf as a business front that gives all the low-lifes and opportunists a place to call home.

Kahn is extremely secretive. Nobody's entirely sure what's going on inside their passages. So really, I guess their only real positive is their mystery... that you know of. >:3

As I said to Tezkat, those that escape have abandoned the solar system and left everyone else for dead and irradiated. It takes up too many resources for them to make a seemingly fruitless voyage to a dead world for them to want to go back.

techmaster-glitch

Eh. Alright then, could you PM me details on Kahn or something? Can't make a decision if I'm uninformed.

And can a character be a defector from one faction or another? Having some of the stuff they managed to escape with, but none of the support being in the faction would give them?

Inumo

Sorry, forgot that half of the Q. Yes; in fact, that's how most people join the Factionless, and how most technology is introduced to them.

EDIT: Also, PM has been sent.

Tezkat

Quote from: Inumo on August 04, 2010, 07:13:31 PM
The AR/VR trend has come and gone on Earth, circa 2125-2180. As such, only a few companies have AR/VR services, which have fallen into disrepair and are no longer updated.

Hmm... cyberpunk with no metaverse? :dface What does the internet look like then? Do people have avatars or agents representing them online? Can they communicate anonymously/pseudonymously?

QuoteFor the Factionless, they use organic computer systems that are grown similar to a human brain, only with plants. If they need to get something outside their network, they have a signal converter implanted into a specialty tree-stump-like hub.

Interesting. Can one program these organic computer systems using symbolic logic or do they have to be trained like a neural system?

QuoteSpecialty nuclear fusion and solar power are used to power almost everything.

Is fusion power portable?

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Inumo

Quote from: Tezkat on August 06, 2010, 01:58:25 PM

Quote from: Inumo on August 04, 2010, 07:13:31 PM

Hmm... cyberpunk with no metaverse? :dface What does the internet look like then? Do people have avatars or agents representing them online? Can they communicate anonymously/pseudonymously?

QuoteFor the Factionless, they use organic computer systems that are grown similar to a human brain, only with plants. If they need to get something outside their network, they have a signal converter implanted into a specialty tree-stump-like hub.

Interesting. Can one program these organic computer systems using symbolic logic or do they have to be trained like a neural system?

QuoteSpecialty nuclear fusion and solar power are used to power almost everything.

Is fusion power portable?

The Internet looks a lot like our current Internet, though it's usually either projected from an ID necklace onto a surface and free-form organized, projected onto a wall with an IR camera to register clicks and the like, or using a touch-monitor.

The computers have been optimized with methods to save stuff to permanent memory in place of hard drives, conscious thought for processing power, and short-term memory for RAM. Essentially, they're like a human brain without the emotion or sentience, but with a faster method of saving and recalling files. Programs and the like are installed through cellular injections of pre-networked cells.

No, though there are high-efficiency batteries that store enough energy to power most weaponry for months. Little trivia, the Factionless use their fusion generators with lesser amounts of shielding to allow mutation "hatcheries" in the hopes of randomness creating things the scientists can't.

Inumo

Hokay, been a week since I put out the word, figure I'll call a sit-rep. Who's...

...definitely joining?
...thinking about joining if brain/schedule permits?
...wanting to join but needs help with their character?

Let me know! :)

techmaster-glitch

WhiteFox

Joining, if character concept is acceptable. Still writing her up.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...