30/07/2010 [DMFA #1131] - Death by Anvils

Started by Tapewolf, July 30, 2010, 05:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangent

Quote from: TheAuldGrump on July 31, 2010, 12:41:10 AM
Quote from: Tangent on July 30, 2010, 06:38:03 AM
*puts an imaginary kitten on Ambaaargh's head, which promptly festoons her hair with ribbons*

Hope the cute pinks the kitten used helps pull you out of your blues, Amber. ^_^
No, you fool! Don't you realize that kittens are anvil magnets?!

Here, watch this! *Places a kitten on a trampoline painted with concentric circles.)

'Mew?'
*Klang!*
*Boing!*

'Mew?'
*Klang!*
*Boing!*

'Mew?'
*Klang!*
*Boing!*

Let that be a lesson for you!

The Auld Grump - No kittens were harmed in the filming of this presentation.
That would explain the huge number of anvils around my home. The thing is, kittens may be anvil magnets, but they're apt at dodging them.

Besides. It's my shtick to put imaginary kittens on people's heads to cheer them up. ^_^
Robert A. Howard, Tangents Reviews
http://www.tangents.us

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 31, 2010, 05:18:14 AM
Quote from: Jairus on July 31, 2010, 03:37:16 AM
"Conjure Falling Anvil" is an incredibly useful spell that can cause great devastation if wielded by the wrong hands.

Used properly it can also save your ass from an angry King's finger-of-death.

http://it-he.org/u6/screen64.gif
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on July 31, 2010, 08:58:40 AM
Dang Tapewolf, that was possibly the most obscure gaming reference I have seen in years !

Well done. :D
It's so obscure that I have no idea what it's from. Which game is it from, if I may ask?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Lego3400

In the event of falling anvils please use the provided tiny umbrella or sign reading "mother" or other comic phrases. While this will not help it will turn your grusome death into comedy for others

Inumo

Quote from: Jairus on July 31, 2010, 10:21:29 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on July 31, 2010, 05:18:14 AM
Quote from: Jairus on July 31, 2010, 03:37:16 AM
"Conjure Falling Anvil" is an incredibly useful spell that can cause great devastation if wielded by the wrong hands.

Used properly it can also save your ass from an angry King's finger-of-death.

http://it-he.org/u6/screen64.gif
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on July 31, 2010, 08:58:40 AM
Dang Tapewolf, that was possibly the most obscure gaming reference I have seen in years !

Well done. :D
It's so obscure that I have no idea what it's from. Which game is it from, if I may ask?

I searched through the home site. It's apparently Ultima 6.

Anker Steadfast

Aye, Lord British was well known for throwing anvils.
On the forums too.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on July 31, 2010, 10:21:29 AM

It is Ultima 6 - 1990, and one of the first PC games to support full colour and a sound card.  (I wasn't really expecting the screenshot to garner quite so much attention)

In this instance the game is in a particularly abnormal state.  The king, who is well known for killing the player with a single touch if you steal his mug of ale (after having said that you can help yourself to anything), has been replicated with the Clone spell and IIRC attacked using a crossbow to get him good and angry.
Some of the duplicate kings were then turned to the player's side using the Charm spell.  In order to prevent the player dying, the cheat mode (*) was used to summon many anvils to build a fence to protect him from the kings' wrath(s).

(*)The cheatmode was enabled by talking to one of the player's henchmen, Iolo.  If you say 'spam' 'spam' 'spam' 'humbug' a menu appears allowing you to create objects and perform various other operations.  With some additional utilities to make the objects permanent and a map editor to edit the walls, the cheat mode could be used to create intricate structures and my brother used it to create an entire private castle of his own.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

TheAuldGrump

Quote from: Tangent on July 31, 2010, 09:12:16 AM
Quote from: TheAuldGrump on July 31, 2010, 12:41:10 AM
Quote from: Tangent on July 30, 2010, 06:38:03 AM
*puts an imaginary kitten on Ambaaargh's head, which promptly festoons her hair with ribbons*

Hope the cute pinks the kitten used helps pull you out of your blues, Amber. ^_^
No, you fool! Don't you realize that kittens are anvil magnets?!

Here, watch this! *Places a kitten on a trampoline painted with concentric circles.*

'Mew?'
*Klang!*
*Boing!*

'Mew?'
*Klang!*
*Boing!*

'Mew?'
*Klang!*
*Boing!*

Let that be a lesson for you!

The Auld Grump - No kittens were harmed in the filming of this presentation.
That would explain the huge number of anvils around my home. The thing is, kittens may be anvil magnets, but they're apt at dodging them.

Besides. It's my shtick to put imaginary kittens on people's heads to cheer them up. ^_^
They are very adept at dodging them. I many, many repetitions of the experiment I never once found a kitten under the anvil, once it had dropped.

The same cannot be said for trampolines, watermelons (titled the Gallagher Experiment) , dollhouses, waterbeds, or inconsiderately parked cars. :P

The Auld Grump, who watched Mink pick up a kitten seconds before his unfortunate accident. However, he firmly believes that both kitten and Mink survived unharmed.

ooklah

oh no!! the world ending anvil snakes have come back to get everyone! All bow before the anvil god! It HUNGERS!!!
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Inumo

Quote from: ooklah on July 31, 2010, 09:33:48 PM
oh no!! the world ending anvil snakes have come back to get everyone! All bow before the anvil god! It HUNGERS!!!

Transformice...?

BetaToxin5

Anvils for the Anvil god!

It just had to be said  :P

Raskahn

Attic Rat

Eeeww...Then the floor would be wearing a Mink... Coating...

Quick, somebody give Mink a tiny little cocktail umbrella!
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

BetaToxin5

*gives Mink a T-34 Tank*. What?! Am I overdoing it?

Draken

Nah, not enough.  Add some automatic machine guns, a few nukes, and maybe some planet busters.  Mink needs more firepower to defeat the Anvil Overlords.
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Rambon

Quote from: Draken on August 01, 2010, 02:18:20 PM
Nah, not enough.  Add some automatic machine guns, a few nukes, and maybe some planet busters.  Mink needs more firepower to defeat the Anvil Overlords.

Now i want to see a picture of this.

VAE

Quote from: BetaToxin5 on August 01, 2010, 02:05:03 PM
*gives Mink a T-34 Tank*. What?! Am I overdoing it?
Quote from: Rambon on August 01, 2010, 02:59:35 PM
Quote from: Draken on August 01, 2010, 02:18:20 PM
Nah, not enough.  Add some automatic machine guns, a few nukes, and maybe some planet busters.  Mink needs more firepower to defeat the Anvil Overlords.

Now i want to see a picture of this.
Since i am somewhat busy, and since i suck at drawing technology (even more than usual suckness ^^) this'll have to do
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Rambon

Quote from: danman on August 01, 2010, 05:38:39 PM
Since i am somewhat busy, and since i suck at drawing technology (even more than usual suckness ^^) this'll have to do

I have been converted by the awesomeness of the smiley on the tank.

Tangent

Might I say, danman, that that was a perfect 666 post for you? =^-^=

Though I still am amused by the thought of Mink picking up a kitten and thus attracting the eyes of the Anvil Gods... naturally, Mink survives as the Kitten Goddess protects her own. ^^;
Robert A. Howard, Tangents Reviews
http://www.tangents.us

Ryy Lazurus

I'm just surprised that Mink didn't say something along the lines of "The reports of my death have been greatly exargerated". Or perhaps "ANVILS! Puuuulllezzze. I'm too awesome for that!"

BetaToxin5

Awesome work danman! Now we need to clone more Minks (or "persuade some minions to join our forces) , make more tanks and ammo and we could very well conquer a fair bit of territory.

Long live the Mink Dynasty :D

ooklah

Quote from: Inumo on August 01, 2010, 12:56:30 AM
Quote from: ooklah on July 31, 2010, 09:33:48 PM

Transformice...?

very much so. I've been playing way too much.
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."