Ar Tonelico 3: If you wanna save the world, strip your ladies!

Started by Drayco84, June 15, 2010, 05:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drayco84

I'm NOT kidding...

I mean, the Japanese are well-known for coming up with bizarre yet semi-plausible ways to reveal the skin of female characters, but seriously... And to make things worse... One of 'em is a catgirl... In a nun-like costume... EDIT: Last link is Barely Safe For Work.

insidexml

The Ar Tonelico series is known for its rather risque way of going about things... :U

<.< Ignore the fact that I own a copy of Ar Tonelico II
"My existence is comprised of somebody else's delusions. It's the exact opposite of the past. How completely ironic."

-Baroquemonger

"Humans that tried to trespass on God's domain, and a god that simply appeared in the realm of humans. Which of these is more sinful?"

bradypodidae

Perhaps someone should suggest this game to Balade for the JAVGW casts... or perhaps one for K.V1NN4 to play.  >:3
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Drayco84

Quote from: insidexml on June 15, 2010, 05:42:47 PM
The Ar Tonelico series is known for its rather risque way of going about things... :U

<.< Ignore the fact that I own a copy of Ar Tonelico II
I know, AT was awesome, but I have yet to finish AT 2... (I suck at guarding!)

insidexml

I liked the AT series because of its unique way of going about things. The combat system, especially. I'm unaware of any other game that has a combat system remotely similar to the one Ar Tonelico uses.

"My existence is comprised of somebody else's delusions. It's the exact opposite of the past. How completely ironic."

-Baroquemonger

"Humans that tried to trespass on God's domain, and a god that simply appeared in the realm of humans. Which of these is more sinful?"

Drayco84

AT1 and AT2 have rather distinct combat systems. The only real similarity is how they handle magic. (Which is rather well-done and worth repeating in other games, IMO.)

And with AT1's combat system, you've obviously missed out on the Atelier Iris series (3 games state-side, the first of which broke a number of cliches. Like, the main char always uses a sword and the love interest is a Staff-Chick.) and the Mana Khemia series. (And for Mana Khemia 1, you'd swear nobody has ever heard of a freaking normal weapon! Yeesh... Collar for a cat, Bag of Holding, Mecha Sword, Cards, Teddy Bear, and a freakin' Spaceship. Wait, The catgirl uses a Hammer-like thing, and the Lolicon uses a Katana. Nvm.) All made by Gust, and most were published by NIS America, BTW.

As for AT2... *Sighs.* Yeah, it's a new one on me.

insidexml

Interestingly enough, I seem to have the sequels to those games.

I have Ar Tonelico II and Mana Khemia 2 :U

...I should buy Atelier Iris 2 or something.

-Baroquemonger

Drayco84

Oh my goodness! I forgot that you wouldn't have seen the "I for Innuendo" scene in AT!

Anyway, you're in luck! Here's the store and they're still offering all the games you're missing. And yeah, that's the publisher's store.

Sadly though, I didn't like Atelier Iris 2 and much as the first, and I prefer AI 3 over AI 2. HOWEVER, it was still quite an enjoyable game. With Mana Khemia, you're missing quite a few inside jokes for MK2.

And the biggest thing that I forgot about is that AI1 follows the "traditional" turn-based combat system AND encounter system. (But, the main char uses a staff, so that's why I took notice of it.) The second added the Encounter bar, which "runs out" and was used in AT. The third, along with Mana Khemia, went for full-on "visible encounters" and made skipping weak battles a lot easier by just wiping out the battle with a single hit while running around on the world map. AI 3 also added a timer that when it ran out, it kicks the player out of the area. (It's a lot less harsh than it sounds as additional time could be picked up while running through the area. Personally, I rarely felt pressed for time in the areas. It was dropped for other games, but was replaced by a day/night system.)

insidexml

Huh? Oh, no, I saw that scene. That's what made me want to buy AT2 in the first place :U

But yes, wiping out weaker enemies with a single hit was something that I think made Mana Khemia 2 much more enjoyable.

-Baroquemonger