IC Apples to Apples

Started by Liatai, May 08, 2010, 03:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liatai

You people with your Linux and your awesome technology skills. :P

In any case, there's a game tonight, too. Come on down! We have snacks! c:

Meany

Friends!  Applers!  Emergency food supplies!  Lend me your ears!

Bit of a snafu coming up in the near future.   You see, apparently I'm applying for a job this Friday.  Since I don't know exactly when or where, I might miss this weeks game.  Also, the hours would be from nine pm to four am CST.  This would mean I couldn't participate in the games anymore, or at least not as much as I used to.

But hold your tears!  Since there is always the possibility of me not getting the job, and the uncertainty of the proposed work schedule, there may yet be hope!  More on this as it develops.

~Chair

VAE

Good luck placing yourself into the value-producing populace!
Hmm, what days do you plan to work on? You see, now that i don't have lectures , exams ,and other stuff any more,  my schedule is more flexible , at least these days - we can switch it around to some extent.
Liatai, what do you think?
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Liatai

I was thinking along similar lines. Most of us are doing job searches right now, anyway, if I remember correctly, so schedules are going to be changing around all over the place. We can even plan it week-by-week if we want until people's schedules even out; what days and times are good for people?

That said, I don't think I'm going to be able to make it this weekend, either. :< There's a surprise party going on for a relative of mine, and since she lives several hours away, I'm going to be leaving for the Land of No Internet on Friday and returning on Sunday. On the bright side, though, it gives me some time to catch up on sketches!

VAE

And on Caturday, i am leaving college for home, at least temporarily.
(Really, it is Caturday - i will finally meet again my two cats! ^^  :januscat  - i hope they still recognise me! )
What about either tomorrow or Thursday??
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Liatai

Sounds good to me. I'm volunteering between noon and 1 PM EDT on Thursday at the local library (4 to 5 PM GMT), but I'm free at pretty much any other time on those days. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Meany

VAE

Awesome! I am for thursday and so far it looks like any time is fit
Saphroneth

Liatai

Okay, then. Shall we shoot for, say, 8 PM GMT on Thursday? It's a little earlier than our usual games, but since most of us have things coming up this weekend, it will leave us with a little more time to catch up on sleep if we need it.

Meany

Excellent.  >:]  Anyone got ideas for a theme for this Thursday game?  If not, I suggest Old Chars.  Not old in the "My hips are plastic" since, but old in the sense of what order they were created.  Of course, that does not necessarily preclude them having plastic hips. :U

VAE

that is awesome timing, I agree.
Except that i don't really need sleep :D i was running most of yesterday on 1.5 hours + 3 hours long before
As for the theme - i think if we don't count the government of my NS country, Vladim is my oldest living char, since one of mine, Igor the warlock from DnD got perma-killed by another in such hillarious circumstances i am keeping it as canon...
Saphroneth

Liatai

Are you psychic? :aack

Because I've been trying to get back into writing for my two oldest characters for Off-Panel script work. An Apples to Apples game might be just what I need to reawaken my muses for them. :>

Now I just need to figure out how a dragon could hold cards that are smaller than his talons...

VAE

Quote from: Liatai on June 08, 2010, 11:16:08 PM

Because I've been trying to get back into writing for my two oldest characters for Off-Panel script work. An Apples to Apples game might be just what I need to reawaken my muses for them. :>

Now I just need to figure out how a dragon could hold cards that are smaller than his talons...
Think of Glup and his tentacles  - telekinesis !
Or, he might use tongs or other accessory, not to mention blackmail an familiar/underling to do the job for him

But as for previously unseen characters , i might bring the base's AI through proxy of some robot... (the thing itself is stationary, and only has three mechanical arms for self-repair (and mischief)
Saphroneth

Meany

Quote from: Liatai on June 08, 2010, 11:16:08 PM

Yes.  Yes I am.  To save time let me answer your next five questions at once.  Yes.  No.  Definitely not.  Twenty-three.  And only with a penguin.

My single oldest char, the to which I compare all others.  My firstborn, and my personal favorite (sorry Andreas, but she's more huggable), my Ice Demoness, Nanbi Tibalt. :>  Expect hail.  Lots of hail.

VAE

twenty three?
Hail Eris i guess :D

this seems will be fun!
Saphroneth

Liatai

Penguins only? Darn. There goes my plan to use the albatross. :/

This should get interesting. One of the two characters I'm planning on bringing (not the dragon, the other one) is a reclusive druid-like mage with a strong preference for fire magic.

I've updated the first post with the new game information. Come one, come all, and bring your oldest characters out to play! Hope to see you there. c:

VAE

So there will be three magicians, two of them with bad temper, and an mischievous and rather un-adult-like AI (and that is after vladim fixed it - when first created it was about as bright as 4 year old ....)
Some hillarious badness is bound to happen!!
Saphroneth

Meany

Actually Nanbi is pretty mellow.  Unless you call her ugly.  Or look at her funny.  Or breathe her air when you know perfectly well it is hers.  Or imply that the orphanage did not in fact attack her. :shifty

I accept no responsibility if this game results in the beginning of the next Ice Age, mind you.

Meany

Dreadfully sorry for the doublepost,  really I am.  Going to have to put my hand to a branding iron later for it, but I feel you should all know this.

The universe, or more accurately my mother, has decided it dislikes me.  I will be unable to meet with the rest of you in the Appleverse at the kickoff time; will be there later, but how much later is not yet certain.

:curseyou

VAE

ACK!
I hope you will make it...  I will be logged on since the time mentioned and we shall see
Saphroneth

Meany

Thank goodness for late sleepers! :.  It turns out I will be able to make it after all, due to my waking up at the crack of noon.  Sorry for all the drama. :animesweat

Liatai

The room is now open!

*edit* Or not. VASSAL just crashed on me.

*edit the second* Apparently, the main VASSAL server just crashed. I'll keep you posted.

*edit the third* VASSAL is back up!

VAE

Just so i don't forget .... could we make the monday game somewhat earlier than usual?
the thing is i am moving from GMT+1 to GMT+2... not to mention my annoying family being around ... bletch
Saphroneth

Meany

As far as I know, I'm up for any time.  :D Job people haven't gotten back to me, yet.

Also:  Did we ever settle on theme music?

VAE

Quote from: Meany on June 11, 2010, 08:51:11 PM
As far as I know, I'm up for any time.  :D Job people haven't gotten back to me, yet.

Also:  Did we ever settle on theme music?

I know one awesome track that played  in a czechoslovak series i saw , when they were playing cards... i might try to record it and put it up there

here: The music by our talented symphonic orchestra musicians
Saphroneth

Liatai

There is a game tonight! The theme is "background characters." Do you have a character that you don't write for often? An NPC you wish you could use more? A character who takes second fiddle to the main characters in your comics or writing? If so, feel free to come on down!

That_wolf

This sounds really fun. Can I have a link to the game(this will be my first game, so be patient with me, please.)
Abel needs a hug...

Liatai

Sure! The first thing you'll want to do is go here and make sure your Java version is up to date. Next, go here to download VASSAL. Finally, go here and click "Apples to Apples 2.0 Basic" to download the module.

Once you have the module installed, open it and select "Look for a Game Online." The room we're in should be obvious; send me a PM when you're ready, and I'll let you in. c:

That_wolf

Uh, is it a big download? Because I like to keep my computer not bogged down.

Edit:Ok, just waiting for your check
Abel needs a hug...

Liatai

VASSAL itself is a Java program, so it should be fairly small... The module is the big part, because of all the images it contains for the individual cards. I'm not sure how big it is exactly. Let me check.

*edit* The module is 46.92 MB... so, yeah, it's pretty large. :animesweat Sorry... I understand about not wanting to bog down your computer.