03/16/10 [AS 92] - It's always those adventurers trying to get ahead in life

Started by Jairus, March 16, 2010, 12:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Okay, terrible evil vile pun aside, what happened to Mink's mom just SUCKED. End of story. Both he and Abel have a lot of reasons to complain about their lot in life, and I honestly don't know whose life sucks more.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Rafe

"Say Abel, what's your mum like?"

"Uh, a lot like yours (...unfortunately)"
Rafe

Ren Gaulen

All I can say is poor Mink. But Abel was right when he said that it is physically impossible for Mink to dislike something or someone. I salute you, Mink, you are a paragon of kindness and good will. :C

P.S. Bro, I'm gonna do terrible things to you for that pun. >:[

Just kidding. :B

Infranscia

This comic invokes an 'aww...' in so many different ways.  Of course, there's the sad 'aww...' for what happened to Mink's mom, but then there's mom's method of helping others, Mink's willingness to forgive, Mink's own aspirations to help others, and of course, Abel's sympathy. *^_^*  It seems Abel's sadness has probably been lifted a bit for knowing he's not alone, and such.  I wonder if he'll share or if he'll try to avoid a pity party like a certain (un)dead friend of his?

Mmkay, we know how adventurers primarily learn about Cubi, but I wonder why no one seems to promote the fact that there are good Cubi on the side?  Does that stuff get tossed aside as 'not so interesting' or 'probably lies made by Cubi to get us to let down our guards'?  Are Cubi in general trying to not have too many secrets leaked so that surprise is on their side?  Or maybe it's possible that someone doesn't want people abusing that information?  *shrug*  I was just thinking that it would probably spare more good Cubi, although now I'm thinking it might inadvertantly lead to more adventurers' deaths, too.
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

VAE

Poor Mink.  :mowsad Not only he does not seek revenge, but also is eager to follow the same path.  And he will likely end the same way because he does not realise how stupid it is to do this... helping those who will jump on his neck if they learn who he is. We say in my country that the wise man learns on others' mistakes and the dull man on his own ... well ... in this case, one gets no chance to learn the second way.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Jasonrevall

Mink's joy and enthusiasm is incredible. Almost reminds me of the flash (Wally West).

Quote from: danman on March 16, 2010, 01:17:54 AM
Poor Mink.  :mowsad Not only he does not seek revenge, but also is eager to follow the same path.  And he will likely end the same way because he does not realise how stupid it is to do this... helping those who will jump on his neck if they learn who he is. We say in my country that the wise man learns on others' mistakes and the dull man on his own ... well ... in this case, one gets no chance to learn the second way.

A true hero will help the needy regardless if they want it or not. A hero is not afraid to give his life. A hero does it because he is good, and because he knows it's right. If he has to die by their hands or by the ones trying to end theirs, it is still a sacrifice to give your life for those who will benefit most from it.
As one of my people once said "A very great vision is needed and the man who has it must follow it as the eagle seeks the deepest blue of the sky." Mink has a need to help beings. If that is what he desires, how can he deny who he is?
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Nino

Mink really looks like a girl in panel 2.

This comic just makes me sad =< Poor Mink's mom.

jeffh4

Quote from: Infranscia on March 16, 2010, 01:11:47 AM
Mmkay, we know how adventurers primarily learn about Cubi, but I wonder why no one seems to promote the fact that there are good Cubi on the side?  Does that stuff get tossed aside as 'not so interesting' or 'probably lies made by Cubi to get us to let down our guards'? 

Don't remember which comic number it was, but recall that Abel told Dan that the majority of Cubi are jerks, especially when it comes to their food. . . uh, I mean beings.  Mink, Abel, and Fa'Lina (in some instances) are the exception.  Cubi don't have to work for their reputation, Mink's mom just fell victim to the ill-will generated by the thousands of others of her race.

On another subject, here's where Abel gets to decide whether he will open up at all to Mink.  Anyone taking any bets?

Eibborn

"She once leaped across a desk and pummelled my principle. We had to move after that." :D
/kicks the internet over

RandomMetaphysics

Ok. I was stunned to find out that Mink's mom was murdered. But that... that just blew me right out of the water. I admit I was surprised Mink managed to forgive the adventurer. I know Mink is one of the most friendly characters out there but GEEZ. He's like a guru of everlasting kindess.

I wonder if all of Jin's clan is like Mink...
And on another note, I wonder what Abel's response will be. Something tells me (though I may be wrong) that something very unexpected and possibly heart-warming is coming up.

Tapewolf

That sounds like a rather risky ploy to me.  If it had been someone with a tattoo, the village would have lopped his head off instead.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Les

WMG

This is the start of where Abel actively distances himself from Mink, putting extra effort into getting Mink to 'go away' and sever all ties.... so that Abel won't be hurt when Mink goes out into the world and inevitably (in Abel's view) gets himself killed.

/WMG
Long live Space Race, Long live... Molvania!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Les on March 16, 2010, 03:54:36 AM
This is the start of where Abel actively distances himself from Mink, putting extra effort into getting Mink to 'go away' and sever all ties.... so that Abel won't be hurt when Mink goes out into the world and inevitably (in Abel's view) gets himself killed.

Perhaps, but that's not the expression I'm seeing in the last panel.  I think he's going to be open with Mink about this, after all, they now have something in common which he plainly did not expect.

Janus Whitefurr

This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agencyâ„¢. And possibly spy cameras.

Anker Steadfast

Heh .. and the adventurer got a celebration feat to boot.

That must have sucked for Mink.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Les on March 16, 2010, 03:54:36 AM

I was wondering if Mink distances himself from Abel when he finds out that his Dad was the one who screwed up the Zinvth hospital plan.
However, he's had ample time to notice the clan mark and figure it out himself, and if he's able to forgive his mother's murderer, he probably isn't the sort to hold a grudge against Aniz' son.

Howl

Upon this time I harbor a bit of dread, as being Abel's (only?) friend, Mink is inevitably screwed.

rhyfe2002

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 16, 2010, 03:48:33 AM
That sounds like a rather risky ploy to me.  If it had been someone with a tattoo, the village would have lopped his head off instead.

Well, I guess anyone with a fake cubi clan symbol as a tattoo probably deserves to have his head lopped off..  :B

And yeah, Mink in panel 2 is soooo freaking cute.  :giggle

candide

Quote from: RandomMetaphysics on March 16, 2010, 02:58:25 AMI know Mink is one of the most friendly characters out there but GEEZ. He's like a guru of everlasting kindess.

I wonder if all of Jin's clan is like Mink...
I'd expect so, considering that Jin Clan's affinity is Joy.  My reaction on reading this page was, "Oh!  He's in Jin's clan!  No wonder he's always happy!"

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 16, 2010, 07:36:04 AMI was wondering if Mink distances himself from Abel when he finds out that his Dad was the one who screwed up the Zinvth hospital plan.
However, he's had ample time to notice the clan mark and figure it out himself, and if he's able to forgive his mother's murderer, he probably isn't the sort to hold a grudge against Aniz' son.
Well, either that, Tapewolf, or Mink distances himself from Abel on orders from Jin herself.

Tapewolf

Quote from: rhyfe2002 on March 16, 2010, 08:10:02 AM
Well, I guess anyone with a fake cubi clan symbol as a tattoo probably deserves to have his head lopped off..  :B
Again, there's a guy at work here who's almost certainly never heard of 'Cubi and has a runic symbol on his arm.
The only sure way to know if a tattoo is a clan mark is if they're obviously 'Cubi, or if you can memorise all the clan marks.  And you'd have to have studied at SAIA to have a hope of finding them all out.

Ghostwish

And NOW we know one of the many reasons adventurers are so very disliked by creatures at large.

What can we say, shock soldiers aren't the most understanding lot.

RJ

Jasonrevall

Quote from: Siarnaq on March 16, 2010, 07:48:20 AM
Upon this time I harbor a bit of dread, as being Abel's (only?) friend, Mink is inevitably screwed.

Don't forget, most mortals are inevitably screwed. It's just a manner of when and how.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Sind

Anker Steadfast

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Scow2

Quote from: Jasonrevall on March 16, 2010, 09:46:22 AM
Don't forget, most mortals are inevitably screwed. It's just a manner of when and how.
I hear a honeymoon is dedicated to that sort of thing... I'll be going now.

celelorien

Quote from: jeffh4 on March 16, 2010, 01:44:06 AM
Don't remember which comic number it was, but recall that Abel told Dan that the majority of Cubi are jerks, especially when it comes to their food. . . uh, I mean beings.  Mink, Abel, and Fa'Lina (in some instances) are the exception.  Cubi don't have to work for their reputation, Mink's mom just fell victim to the ill-will generated by the thousands of others of her race.

On another subject, here's where Abel gets to decide whether he will open up at all to Mink.  Anyone taking any bets?

I believe you're referring to this strip, where Abel's explaining the interest factor in the respective books about nice or evil Cubi.  So I'd imagine, no, there's not much PR for the "good" Cubi.

And yeah, learning he was from Jin's, I was like AHA. And then wondered if ALL the clan members have tentacles or snakey bits. XD

@Anker: NO DON'T SUCK US INTO TVTROPES AAAAHHHH~!  Actually I think Mink's got a while to go before he hits true Woobie status - so far, the fact that his mom was killed is the only real bad thing to happen to him, and it was in his distant past.  Woobies are typically constantly being beat up on, so unless his life takes a turn for the dramatically worse, I think he'll stay away from Woobism.

jeffh4

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 16, 2010, 03:48:33 AM
There are tattoos and there are TATTOOS.  I expect the adventurer recognized it from the "Adventure's Compendium of Clan Marks of Overtly Evil Creatures Who Aren't Sexy Enough to Make You Forget About Them Wanting to Eat Your Soul for Breakfast." 

The book is in its 76th printing, actually.

Tapewolf

Quote from: celelorien on March 16, 2010, 10:59:20 AM
I believe you're referring to this strip, where Abel's explaining the interest factor in the respective books about nice or evil Cubi.  So I'd imagine, no, there's not much PR for the "good" Cubi.

Close, and interesting, but AFAIK he's referencing this:
Strip 658.
...given Abel's history and his weird state of mind - and particularly the way he "turned being alone into an art" (strip 742) - it's a bit difficult to say how biased he is.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Maybe I'm cynical and jaded.

No, scrap that. I am cynical and jaded. Maybe it's affecting how I view this strip.

I'm wondering how much of Mink's cheeriness is a by-product of his clan and possibly clan leader.  We know more powerful 'cubi can affect the emotional state of less powerful 'Cubi, and that the "majority of clan Jin" is at SAIA.

Speculation: Jin herself is at SAIA. Basis? She is still alive and the note about the clan leaders that her clan would have likely died without the creation of SAIA.

Furthermore, while I cannot cite the source, a lot of the empowering effect from 'cubi clan structure seems to radiate outward from the extremely powerful tri-wing 'cubi.

Speculation: While it is probably not quite mind control, coupling Jin's power with a tiny clan (Less people to dilute the effect) Jin's personality is in a sense, overwriting the other Jin clan members, forcing them into their beatific states.

And now I am getting uncomfortable visions of the Ludivocio technique.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.