03/14/10 [DMFA#1095] - Breakup wakeup

Started by ooklah, March 14, 2010, 03:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunblink

Amber, I love your mad skills. I love them so much.

I think I like Pip a bit more after this - I mean, he seems more like a capable manipulator now rather than an annoyance. I'm not making a lick of sense though. I just love how he arranged the hallucinatory dream thing.

Oh hello Hennya's head. It's good to see you again.

As for the matter of who, exactly, was responsible for being able to make Abel dream again, why not just Pip or Mab instead of a third party? Certainly Fae magic could completely warp reality enough to bypass the restrictions of Cubi slumber. Or, being Mab's companion, Pip could've been taught a few tricks of his own. Most Drakes don't use magic. But most Drakes don't keep company with the Fae.

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 14, 2010, 04:44:52 AM
Still, I'm glad that he (probably) isn't going to get in trouble with Alexsi for trashing the inn.

Or with Mab for killing her pet.

Turnsky

a cubi may not need sleep for rest purposes, but they may need sleep now and again for psychological reasons.. a rested mind still has marbles rolling around in it, yes?  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Wanderer

Told you all I wasn't worried. :P

But now I am. That there's a freaky dream sequence that Abel shouldn't be having unless someone's giving it to him.

A. Lurker

For a spot of wild mass guessing, I'll share a thought that randomly crossed my mind while reading this thread and the one for the last strip: "Dream Pip" is actually Cyra, and she's messing with Abel because with all his unresolved issues and the looming trouble in the future he's basically a ticking time bomb that just happens to be hanging out with her new grandson a lot. So she's trying to do something about that...in a roundabout way, of course.

Way off base? Probably. But that's all part of the fun. :mowwink

Bjalf

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 14, 2010, 04:44:52 AM
Now I want to know the mechanics of how Abel was able to have a dream.  Maybe it just becomes less and less frequent... though really I'm sitting in the "A higher power did it" camp.

I don't think that all cubi irreveribly loses their ability to dream, I think it's just a result of not sleeping anymore. Of course Abel has not dreamt, he hasn't slept much in the last 300+ years. And Destania might have lost her dreams for different reasons than Abel, anyway. Perhaps she got bit by an Arachspearian.

VAE

Hmm, if she was not at the academy i would have bet Aaryanna is behind this particular one.

To note, it is nice how even such cliche can be played extremely well if noone is expecting it due to previous track record. *bows*
Well, Sanity is overrated - makes you too predictable.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Sind

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 14, 2010, 08:16:05 AMI think I like Pip a bit more after this - I mean, he seems more like a capable manipulator now rather than an annoyance. I'm not making a lick of sense though. I just love how he arranged the hallucinatory dream thing.

Welcome to the club  :)

Also, I doubt it was a dream, at least not all of it.
I dunno why, it just seems like pip made him sleep little by little at the very end, or something...

*shrug* :/

Akisohida

Quote from: Feather Dancer on March 14, 2010, 05:01:19 AM
Quote from: Loki Impisi on March 14, 2010, 04:57:12 AM
I made an account just to post this.

I don't believe Able actually dreamed that scene. After all, its impossible for cubi to dream. So what if Pip just knocked Able out, put him to bed, and woke him up. Easier to do then make someone of a race that can't dream, dream.

Oh they can dream they just lose the ability to, presumably a chunk before they lose any reasoning to sleep. Cyra mentioned herself that Dee lost the ability to dream which is why she was so ecstatic about Dan. I suspect Abel's own subconscious roll has meant he himself has not dreamed in a VERY long time. Perhaps since the Dead!Devin incident?

If they lose the ability to dream, how can they dream? That's like saying 'He lost the ability to use his right arm..but can use it.' or 'He lost the ability to talk, but can sing'. or 'He lost the ability to walk, but can run.'

This has to be someone messing with Abel. Is his father back? Dun dun DUUUUNNN!
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

D'ymkarra

Quote from: WhiteFox on March 14, 2010, 04:01:56 AM
Follow the white rabbit, Abel.

Haha..total win  :mowhappy

I think there may actually be something to the 'string puller' theory. It seems that Abel's dream was intended to serve as a reminder to NOT become like his father, i.e., letting his ego/ foolish pride accidentally bring harm to someone. The only one I can point to at the moment would be Mab, hence Pip as the antagonist. But beyond a passing reference to her 'plan', I can't find much evidence of a connection.
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Jasonrevall

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Abel is a halfbreed. He is half Being half Cubi so maybe something somewhere can access his Being part of him and force a dream. Awesome dream sequence ending btw. I like the word balloons' colors and highlighting.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Lucheek

Hmm...I wonder what the changing voice means.

Bjalf

Quote from: Lucheek on March 14, 2010, 11:22:10 AM

Pip's going through puberty. Next: chest hairs.

Turnsky

Quote from: Bjalf on March 14, 2010, 11:26:17 AM
Quote from: Lucheek on March 14, 2010, 11:22:10 AM

Pip's going through puberty. Next: chest hairs.

naw

he'll sprout legs first.  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Starcat5

Quote from: Jasonrevall on March 14, 2010, 10:39:00 AM
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Abel is a halfbreed. He is half Being half Cubi so maybe something somewhere can access his Being part of him and force a dream. Awesome dream sequence ending btw. I like the word balloons' colors and highlighting.

Except, of course, that there is no such thing as a half-breed Cubi. It is an "All or Nothing" sort of deal.

Quote from: Siarnaq on March 14, 2010, 08:11:37 AM
I have a feeling spotty has a birthday coming up.

And it will be hellish for him, as has been everything else. Especially if Aniz shows up without an improved attitude.*

*If he's not dead.

Actually, it might be worse still if he DID show up with an improved attitude.  :mwaha
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Dekari

This could be just me trying to make 2+2=fish but, the color change of some of the text vs. Seme's clan symbol color and background, the actual "title" of the Seme clan, and the relation between Seme and Siar seem a bit convenient to me after this comic.
I somehow get the feeling that you didn't think your cunning plan all the way through.

Thanks go to Kipiru and Rhyfe for the art work used in avatars.

http://drakedekari.deviantart.com/

JackTheCubiWolf

Ooo, that was a really good twist, Amber. I'm very curious as to how he was able to dream. I wonder if someone who is powerful enough is able to make cubi who aren't supposed to be able to dream, dream?
I'm back, and tired.

Arcblade

Ooh, dream-Pip #1 got beheaded.  Nice touch. 

Looking forward to seeing where this is going. 

Pvblivs

I'm thinking it is just Abel's subconscious.  A manipulator would have to know both where Abel is and that his last name is Rewanz.  Now, there are a couple possibilities for that.  Fa'alina has the needed knowledge, but it's not really her style.  Destania seems focused on other matters.  And Kria (does Kria know where he is?) doesn't seem to be one to put Abel through this.

RandomMetaphysics

Uhhhhh, riiiiiiiight...
Well, if I recall correctly someone suggested Abel was dreaming. To that person, kudos!
And it seems that we were right when we thought Abel was going to have one of those "I've become my father moments."

One thing Abel said bothers me though. Abel said that Cubi lose the ability to dream. However, didn't Cyra say that Destania had given up the ability to dream in her conversation with Dan? And on that note, how much of this night was a dream for Abel?

Pip's grin in the second to last panel...
Wow... I thought the Cheshire Cat's was nerve racking.

terrycloth

Also, Abel is really young for a cubi. If they gradually lose their ability to dream, maybe he just hasn't finished with that part yet. But thought he had, since it's been 100 years or something.

Zaejue

not sure if this has been suggested yet but I feel as if that whoever the cubi is who is messing with Abel's dream is either from Seme's clan or more likely the Kish'ta Clan

Tapewolf

Quote from: Zaejue on March 14, 2010, 12:38:11 PM
not sure if this has been suggested yet but I feel as if that whoever the cubi is who is messing with Abel's dream is either from Seme's clan or more likely the Kish'ta Clan

If it's Seme clan, it could easily be a recruiting drive.  However I do have to wonder if it's Mab or one of her colleagues.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Trazz

Quote from: Dekari on March 14, 2010, 11:53:02 AM
This could be just me trying to make 2+2=fish but, the color change of some of the text vs. Seme's clan symbol color and background, the actual "title" of the Seme clan, and the relation between Seme and Siar seem a bit convenient to me after this comic.

How can 2+2=Fish if 1+1=Swordfish?
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1071.php

Jasonrevall

Quote from: starcat5 on March 14, 2010, 11:37:30 AM

Except, of course, that there is no such thing as a half-breed Cubi. It is an "All or Nothing" sort of deal.

Oh yeah, well it was just speculation anyway. Thanks for that though. Heh that makes me think of Cubi as a zombie virus, it consumes anything and makes it one of them! Not that there's anything wrong with being a zombie, unless your the mindless flesh eating ones.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Zaejue

Quote from: Jasonrevall on March 14, 2010, 12:52:25 PM
Quote from: starcat5 on March 14, 2010, 11:37:30 AM

Oh yeah, well it was just speculation anyway. Thanks for that though. Heh that makes me think of Cubi as a zombie virus, it consumes anything and makes it one of them! Not that there's anything wrong with being a zombie, unless your the mindless flesh eating ones.
yeah but I think you wouldn't care being a mindless flesh eater if you are in fact mindless

VAE

Quote from: Trazz on March 14, 2010, 12:47:33 PM

Easy when Sword= (1/2)

Which makes some sense as you use them to cut stuff in half
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Trazz

Quote from: danman on March 14, 2010, 12:57:01 PM
Quote from: Trazz on March 14, 2010, 12:47:33 PM

Easy when Sword= (1/2)

Which makes some sense as you use them to cut stuff in half

You know math? o.o HEATHEN!

PetFriendAmy

One of the first things I started wondering when I saw this was when exactly Abel fell asleep. Then when I was reading through the previous pages again, I noticed that his bandage disappears from here on... which I realized might be an indication that it was somewhere between here and the previous page that he fell asleep? Either that or Alexsi coming back was part of the dream as well, and his subconscious forgot about the bandage at some point...

Or maybe I'm just reading into it too much. XD At any rate, I'm convinced that his falling asleep was sometime after talking to Wildy, considering the tidbit at the end of that page where Wildy is by herself.

Lego3400

Quote from: Pvblivs on March 14, 2010, 12:18:43 PM
I'm thinking it is just Abel's subconscious.  A manipulator would have to know both where Abel is and that his last name is Rewanz.  Now, there are a couple possibilities for that.  Fa'alina has the needed knowledge, but it's not really her style.  Destania seems focused on other matters.  And Kria (does Kria know where he is?) doesn't seem to be one to put Abel through this.

But they also have to know about Pip and Mab to some extent. That limits it to Alberion, Mab, Pip and Rose. Unless she's told Fa'Lina I doubt it's her.

Anri

The way the highlighting is done for 'I told you, (I knew something you did)n't.' is a horrible, horrible tease. Also, if I may say... What a tweest!