Speciesism in Furrae

Started by Grey Wolf, December 30, 2009, 05:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Wolf

Racism is obviously present. To the point of genocide, in fact. But I've been wondering about speciesism.
I'm not talking about the type of speciesism we encounter on Earth, but rather prejudice based on the species of an anthro. For all I know, it may not even exist, but how common are interspecies relationships like the Gianna family? What about further differences, like a koala dating a turtle? Would it be considered taboo? Unusual? Or is it a fairly common occurrence?
To give a real world example, most educated people today don't see anything wrong with interracial relationships. They are, however, not as common as same-race relationships. There's a theory that pheromones play a part in human's choice of a mate. The theory says humans will tend to pick a mate that is somewhat similar (genetically speaking) to themselves, and based on genetics, a person has a specific "smell" that other humans will sub-consciously pick up on. Apparently members of one's own race give off a smell that can trigger romantic feelings or something... I don't fully understand it myself, it was on Animal Planet's The Most Extreme :U
So, do (anthro) turtles just tend to like the smell of other turtles? Or is dating a koala socially unacceptable in Furrae?

Juuuust to make things clear, I don't disapprove of interracial marriage or multiracial families or anything. I was just curious about the mindset of Furrae societies.
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

MT Hazard

There has been limited mention of this kind of thing mentioned in comic, other that Dan's dislike of cubi, dragons and demons. example
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Attic Rat

In order to have racism, there would have to be at least two races within a given species, who dislike each other for entirely race-based reasons... Where has this happened? I must have missed it.

Do the long-furred Twinks hate the short-furred Twinks?
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Anker Steadfast

Twinks hate everyone they can't PK, so they don't count.

I believe Dan asked Aaryanna to hook him up with a Canine friend  ... possibly in jest, but still.
Also, we know he has a soft spot for Amazons.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Amber Williams

When I started DMFA, I decided at the start that for this universe there would be a two variations of race. One is the things like phoenix, dragon, cubi, being, etc.  The other is "species" (I will call it sub-species in this rant) in the sense of canine, feline, rodent, kangaroo, etc.

The first one is the ones that DMFA tends to focus on, the other is simply aesthetic.  While there is a minor genetic quirk that makes it harder for couples like a reptile and a mammal to have kids...it isn't impossible and even so there is magical ways to make it more than possible.  As such, with the exceptions of certain races like mer and Insectis who are completely alien to the other races...sub-species rarely plays into things other than a personal attraction. Felines tend to be attracted to other felines but it isn't anything instinctual. 

Obviously the more off-beat and abnormal shaped races (elephants, girraffes, etc) are more likely to pair off with their own sub-species simply by proximity and interest.  But its all down to the individual.  In terms of rights or feelings, an elephant is no different than a canine...unless that elephant is a demon and that canine is a being.

There are a few races that don't really have a real world counterpart. Devin for example...it was amusing seeing people try to place what species he was.  Abel, while obviously feline, is definately not based on any real life feline species.

It is a situation that will tend to vary from region to region as well. Being-centric communities tend to reflect individuals with more natural species and subdued colours. Where as a metropolis like Zinvth will result in various types and species and who the heck knows what.

I suppose at the core of it...I didn't want to do the thing where "oh hey. You are a dog and I am a cat...so I somehow have something against you." thing.  There are plenty of reasons for races to be at ends with eachother...breaking it down to even looking different would be more hassle and likely end up soapboxing and that really kills comedy.

Turnsky

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 31, 2009, 01:25:46 AM
When I started DMFA, I decided at the start that for this universe there would be a two variations of race. One is the things like phoenix, dragon, cubi, being, etc.  The other is "species" (I will call it sub-species in this rant) in the sense of canine, feline, rodent, kangaroo, etc.

The first one is the ones that DMFA tends to focus on, the other is simply aesthetic.  While there is a minor genetic quirk that makes it harder for couples like a reptile and a mammal to have kids...it isn't impossible and even so there is magical ways to make it more than possible.  As such, with the exceptions of certain races like mer and Insectis who are completely alien to the other races...sub-species rarely plays into things other than a personal attraction. Felines tend to be attracted to other felines but it isn't anything instinctual. 

Obviously the more off-beat and abnormal shaped races (elephants, girraffes, etc) are more likely to pair off with their own sub-species simply by proximity and interest.  But its all down to the individual.  In terms of rights or feelings, an elephant is no different than a canine...unless that elephant is a demon and that canine is a being.

There are a few races that don't really have a real world counterpart. Devin for example...it was amusing seeing people try to place what species he was.  Abel, while obviously feline, is definately not based on any real life feline species.

It is a situation that will tend to vary from region to region as well. Being-centric communities tend to reflect individuals with more natural species and subdued colours. Where as a metropolis like Zinvth will result in various types and species and who the heck knows what.

I suppose at the core of it...I didn't want to do the thing where "oh hey. You are a dog and I am a cat...so I somehow have something against you." thing.  There are plenty of reasons for races to be at ends with eachother...breaking it down to even looking different would be more hassle and likely end up soapboxing and that really kills comedy.

well, i can only presume Devin's got some mythos in him somewhere along the line, i'd put his species at "bitsa" (bits-a-this, bits-a-that)  :U :P

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Arcblade

It'd be funny if he was part Angel.  Mythos would seem more likely, though. 

Anker Steadfast

So, basically if they love each other, they can do it ... just don't ask Amber or Fluffy *how* they did it?

amirite? :D

Also, we should not forget that Amber is a fraggle!

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on December 31, 2009, 02:51:07 PM

Also, we should not forget that Amber is a fraggle!

So, My uncle has worked for Jim Hensen link

I think that for most couples, pheromones play part, and that what your parents look like also as a part in who you are mostly be attracted to.  But it doesn't stop you from falling in love with a dragon or a hippo when you are a mouse.

PBH

LionHeart

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on December 31, 2009, 02:51:07 PM
So, basically if they love each other, they can do it ... just don't ask Amber or Fluffy *how* they did it ?
In the case of dragons... well, if Pyro's ability to shift forms is a natural trait of dragons, then it wouldn't be too difficult, right? :mowwink
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: LionHeart on January 01, 2010, 01:14:42 AM
In the case of dragons... well, if Pyro's ability to shift forms is a natural trait of dragons, then it wouldn't be too difficult, right? :mowwink

... unless the orgasm thing causes him to spontaneously flick back to the big form. That could, ah, be, uh, "uncomfortable"...

(I'm sorry. I just had to...)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Prof B Hunnydew

I can't find it, But Amber has a comic about a mixed couple with a Being and a dragon.  The dragon had a fright while in the car and the family car was crushed under the normal dragon.  So, be with a dragon, can be hazardous

PBH

Tapewolf

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on January 01, 2010, 10:44:20 AM
I can't find it, But Amber has a comic about a mixed couple with a Being and a dragon.  The dragon had a fright while in the car and the family car was crushed under the normal dragon.  So, be with a dragon, can be hazardous

Are you thinking of this?
http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_286.php

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 01, 2010, 11:26:44 AM
Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on January 01, 2010, 10:44:20 AM

Are you thinking of this?
http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_286.php

Ah Yes, It looks like I missed remembered it, too.  The Dragon struck the car in the name of public safety...

PBH

Anker Steadfast

More like city beautification, I'd say ... horrid pinto's!

On a sidenote, species are already kinda blurred in Mabs universe, like when the undead amazon thinks Dan is of Angel blood.
Darn those mysteries, they keep getting stuck to Dan's back! :D

Gamma

In this type of world it would make more sense to be prejudice over ability anyway. Since the Creatures usually have such wide ranging power the Beings would be more likely to no longer bicker over whether they were a giraffe or a lion.
They would instead do as Amber set them up, hating one anothers' abilities.
As has been brought up in the comic before, this hatred is slowly dying down as they become more accepted. Though once it matters not whether you're a Creature or Being, some may decide to hate one another for reasons of species, or simply go back to hating creatures again.
If they tend to act anything like humans, they will always find a way to hate each other over and over again.

To respark the hatred, most likely a form of genocide or other atrocity may occur. More likely it would have to be a fairly benign or well liked race for it to flare up that badly once more.
Or some leader may call some other leader a "stupid doodoo head."  :P
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

Grey Wolf

*Nods* Good to see that what Mrs. Williams calls sub-species doesn't play a part in any sort of discrimination.
Thanks for the clarification; it was something I had been wondering about for a while :3
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

Scrap Fish

It's not that it doesn't play any part in discrimination - it's just not so big.
I could develop a deep loathing for felines, by way of some personal trauma or just some loose screws, but it's far more common to just be speciesist about demons or cubi. (Or undead, or wimpy beings, or...)
So, while quite possible, it likely won't show due to rarity and the Amber's own statement against "soap boxing" the issue.

Just spreading the confusion around. There's enough for everybody!

Rakyth

Quote from: Grey Wolf on December 30, 2009, 05:28:15 PM
Racism is obviously present. To the point of genocide, in fact. But I've been wondering about speciesism.
I'm not talking about the type of speciesism we encounter on Earth, but rather prejudice based on the species of an anthro. For all I know, it may not even exist, but how common are interspecies relationships like the Gianna family? What about further differences, like a koala dating a turtle? Would it be considered taboo? Unusual? Or is it a fairly common occurrence?
To give a real world example, most educated people today don't see anything wrong with interracial relationships. They are, however, not as common as same-race relationships. There's a theory that pheromones play a part in human's choice of a mate. The theory says humans will tend to pick a mate that is somewhat similar (genetically speaking) to themselves, and based on genetics, a person has a specific "smell" that other humans will sub-consciously pick up on. Apparently members of one's own race give off a smell that can trigger romantic feelings or something... I don't fully understand it myself, it was on Animal Planet's The Most Extreme :U

Like most people who have an interest in science as a career.. Uh.

I don't communicate well.

But, in reference to that TV show, they thought that the bacteria on your skin had something to do with it. For evidence supporting said theory, they pointed to a certain section of our DNA that dictated what kinds of bacteria can live on our skin. Some of which produce scents, yada yada yada, female picks up, etc, female subconsciously thinks if it's a good match or not, etc etc ad inf..Which I think is a bunch of hubris, it's more of a supporting detail IMHO. But I have no research to support my opinion. xD

ANYWAY, I believe that genetics does play a role in mating, both in Furrae and on Earth. I believe that species is to race as being is to human.

:X Blarg, on a Wii. Hard to tell what I've been writing and so hard to keep on topic.

Quote from: Attic Rat on December 30, 2009, 11:46:00 PM
In order to have racism, there would have to be at least two races within a given species, who dislike each other for entirely race-based reasons... Where has this happened? I must have missed it.

Do the long-furred Twinks hate the short-furred Twinks?

Do tribes in Africa get along? Some do and some don't.

Edit: I can't copypaste this post into my other post and delete this one. Help?D:

Edit:
Helped.
  -- llearch

SquirrelWizard

I think you are also forgetting the psychological aspects of relationships. We, as humans, are creatures of comfort. We like to be in our comfort zones. We spend a good portion of our developmental years learning from a minute fraction of the population; that is our families. As we develop, we learn what is considered the norm for a myriad of interactions. We see our mother and father as the basic form of a relationship because they made us, obviously it had to work on some level. In this case, people from same race families aren't taught to think interracial relationships are taboo, but they would just see them as out of the ordinary and strange (unless their parents were overtly opinionated about the other race). Some people can overcome this feeling of strangeness and are open to having interracial relations. Some are not.

Again, its a comfort thing and it is NOT always bad. We wire ourselves for survival since birth; typically things that cause sudden changes in our environment are either lethal, or preceding something lethal.

edit: darn got wrapped up in the psychological stuff that i forgot to put my actual post here...

Okay, my view of Furrae. I think that there is a level of enforced speciesism between the races. Specifically with beings and anything that can crush/eat/obliterate them with the wave of a hand. Obviously if majority of your race's interactions with another result in horrible fights all because they are stronger, then you will be more than a bit wary when you see one on the road. Lets face it, Demons, Cubi, some Mythos, and Dragons are notorious for popping claws and going to town at the drop of a hat (sometimes they are the ones throwing said hat to the ground). Sure, there are some of the race that do not fit that profile but let me ask you this, "How much are you willing to gamble on a stranger?" Yes, its small minded, but for Beings its a question of survival.
Update Status: Zombified

<Tezkat> Talking to yourself is a sign of impending mental collapse.
<SquirrelWizard> I talk to myself all the time, and I'm the sanest guy I know.

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

Tapewolf

Quote from: SquirrelWizard on January 05, 2010, 01:27:30 PM
Obviously if majority of your race's interactions with another result in horrible fights all because they are stronger, then you will be more than a bit wary when you see one on the road. Lets face it, Demons, Cubi, some Mythos, and Dragons are notorious for popping claws and going to town at the drop of a hat (sometimes they are the ones throwing said hat to the ground).

Or as Dan brilliantly put it in 657:
"As an adventurer you learn about how some Creatures view the world.  The whole 'Be strong or be killed' system.  And you meet so many Creatures who are happy to show you that philosophy... and just... over time you realise that you can't look at a Creature without thinking they are going to..."

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E