Twitter's been hacked!

Started by Madd the Sane, December 18, 2009, 01:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madd the Sane

When I went to check on Wolfire's twitters, I discovered that clicking on the links gave me a 404 error.  Going to Wolfire's twitter page was the same issue.  Going to Twitter's home page, I was met with a bad sign: it says that the site has been hacked by the "Iranian Cyber Army."
It also had the following text, which I have no idea what it means  :S
بنام خدا
به عنوان یک ایرانی در پاسخ به دخالت های شیطنت آمیز این سرویس دهنده به دستور مقامات آمریکایی در امور داخلی کشورم ) 
این سایت به عنوان هشدار هک می شود

How long before we go to war?
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

ShadesFox

Doubtful on the war front. It is just Twitter. Probably just some ultra-nationals working without explicit approval, but rather well liked. Twitter's role in documenting recent events embarising to Iran's government is well known.
The All Purpose Fox

Madd the Sane

Wow, that was quick.  Twitter's back up again.

Just out of curiosity, how often has that site been hacked?
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

techmaster-glitch

Well, this is interesting. I ran that text through some translators (and it took me a quick stop to wikipedia to realize I was supposed to be going from Persian to English and not Arabic to English :B ), and these are the results...

freetranslation.com:
In the Name of God
as an Iranian interference in response to the roguish this service to the American domestic affairs in my country)
to the site as website" warned.

translate.google:
Name of God
As an Iranian response to this intervention sly server command in the internal affairs of my country and American authorities)
This site is a warning Hk

translate.reference.com:
Called God as an Iranian response to this intervention sly server ordered U.S. authorities in the internal affairs of my country) this site as a warning to Hk

Can't quite understand what precisely they're going on about, but it seems someone's pissed about something...

Reese Tora

given the context and tech's garbled-y-gook website translations, I would guess that it could translate to something like:

By God, as a response to this American website's interference in the affairs of my country, This is a warning.

of course, that's kind of like blaming the telephone company when someone makes a phone call.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Turnsky

could this be.....

Twitterism?  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Kafzeil

Hacking Twitter is pretty much like flipping off a box full of kittens. At least for me.
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

Crawldragon

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on December 18, 2009, 02:15:37 AM
Well, this is interesting. I ran that text through some translators (and it took me a quick stop to wikipedia to realize I was supposed to be going from Persian to English and not Arabic to English :B ), and these are the results...

freetranslation.com:
In the Name of God
as an Iranian interference in response to the roguish this service to the American domestic affairs in my country)
to the site as website" warned.

translate.google:
Name of God
As an Iranian response to this intervention sly server command in the internal affairs of my country and American authorities)
This site is a warning Hk

translate.reference.com:
Called God as an Iranian response to this intervention sly server ordered U.S. authorities in the internal affairs of my country) this site as a warning to Hk

Can't quite understand what precisely they're going on about, but it seems someone's pissed about something...
No nation serious about war would start it by hacking Twitter. It must be a joke.
It is weird that, even as a prank, anybody would bother to hack Twitter, though. :erk

Cvstos

Twitter was using by Iranian protestors to coordinate. Odds are this was retaliation for that. But I also doubt they're going to be effective at it for long. Each time they use a security hole to do this, it gets plugged and backups kick in rather quickly.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein