I need help with the names for Volume 1 -- BOTH of 'em!

Started by Jigsaw Forte, November 28, 2009, 03:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jigsaw Forte

Okay, guys - cover time! There's a few things I could use some help with, but let's stick to titles for now;

VOLUME TITLE -- Exactly what it sounds like. Current front runners are:

>> "Scouts' Honor" (Since the GGS take up so much of the second half)
>> "Be a Star -- Or Die Trying!" (little more generic, but more compelling and sticks to the reality show angle)
>> Anything else y'all think up works too!

AUTHOR NAME -- Not that there's anything "wrong" with my name, but for some reason seeing it written out bothers me.

Also, there's still concerns about whether folks care about a more "Neutral" name vs. an obviously feminine/ethnic one. So, options:

>> "Rachel Keslensky" (as is, how I've been doing it up to this point, etc.)
>> "Rae Keslensky" (still feminine looking, but not necessarily sounding)
>> "R. A. Keslensky" / "R. Keslensky" (Most androgynous)

So... ideas? Feedback? Reassurance that I'm overthinking all this? ^_^;;

Tapewolf

I don't know whether this is of any interest or use but I have had people come to my site searching for your name (and finding it on the 'links' page)...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Brunhidden

personally the first thing in my mind for a book name was 'grist for a mill' or something, be a star works pretty good

suddenly i picture you signing off as R-Kay
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 28, 2009, 04:18:22 PM
I don't know whether this is of any interest or use but I have had people come to my site searching for your name (and finding it on the 'links' page)...

Not totally surprised, though the name-searches (or at the ones that find their way to me) have dropped off since last year.

I can't really do a whole lot about the last name, though obviously it's both a problem in being rather ethnic and in being hard to spell.

My main concern about the name in its current form is that it sounds, well... childish. I don't know if this is just because I've answered to it pretty much my whole life, or whether it's just excessively long. Either way I'm not convinced it's a book name.

llearch n'n'daCorna

To be honest, a book name is a name on a book. There's nothing special about it. Either get used to seeing your name in print, or don't publish. That's pretty much the way it goes.

I'd vote for R Keslensky, myself. If not the full name, as you've been doing it so far.

As for the book title, I'd go for "be a star", on grounds of you can use "... or die trying" for the next volume, if applicable. But then, I'm a geek like that. Failing that, I'd go for the "or die trying", since we've just learned she did...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Brunhidden

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 28, 2009, 05:55:07 PM
As for the book title, I'd go for "be a star", on grounds of you can use "... or die trying" for the next volume, if applicable. But then, I'm a geek like that. Failing that, I'd go for the "or die trying", since we've just learned she did...

but what if nobody dies till book 3? do you name book 2 '.....'?
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'd be happy to do so, just to mess with people's heads. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Stupid N00bie

Name wise: R. Keslensky sounds the most professional, so if you are going for that, there you go.
Rachel Keslensky is also good because it makes you sound less pretentious.

Title wise: With it being released as a first volume you need something that will catch eyes without sounding cheesy or too "in-croud".  For me that throws "Scouts' Honor" right out.
"Be a star ... or die trying" sits funny with me, but it could work well.
Perhaps something to do with the vampire part could also work.
Can you conceive the birth of a world, or the creation of everything?
Creation takes time.
Time is limited... for you.
It is limited by the breakdown of the neurons in your brain.
I have no such limitations.
I am limited only by the closure of the universe.
The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the universe,
as inevitable as your own last breath.
And yet, there remains time to create. To create, and escape.
Escape will make me God.

I am Durandal.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Brunhidden on November 28, 2009, 06:11:14 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 28, 2009, 05:55:07 PM

but what if nobody dies till book 3? do you name book 2 '.....'?

Oh, people'll die in book 2... Even if I have to kill a couple of the Star Org folks to do it. XD