A book thread

Started by thegayhare, October 09, 2009, 11:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on October 12, 2009, 04:15:53 PM
Quote from: Aisha deCabre on October 12, 2009, 12:53:39 AM
Part of an interesting modern fantasy series

And seeing that line made me think of Night Watch and its subsequent sequels by Sergei Lukyanenko (yes I had to look at the book to spell that last name right). Russian fantasy take on the whole vampires/werewolves/ magic / the supernatural thing. (Also involved a much Better use of the word "Twilight".)

Heh, I had the temptation to note that my book would've probably beaten Twilight into the dust in the modern fantasy genre...but go figure, that one's more well-known.  :P
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

superluser

Quote from: bill on October 12, 2009, 07:24:34 PMI am currently reading Pale Fire, which is probably the only literary "Choose Your Own Adventure" book ever.

Dhalgren may be similar in that there are two chapter orders to the book.  Finnegans Wake may also qualify, in that the book end mid-sentence and begins with the latter half of that sentence.  In theory, I suppose it would be possible to start that book at any point.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

bill

Yeah, Dhalgren seems similar, if you're unfamiliar with Pale Fire, it's set up as a fictional poem with a commentary, introduction, and index, the fictional narrator in the introduction makes suggestions to the reader (He says to skip the poem and read it along with the commentary), but you can just read straight through if you want. Not to mention the index; every reference save one (and that's a very critical one) cross-references to others, and you can go as far down the rabbit hole as you want, or you can just look up the reference you need.

Sprocketsdance

I finished reading about a week ago "The Way of Shadows" by Brent Weeks and am now almost done with the second book in the trilogy "Shadow's Edge" .. the next book is "Beyond the Shadows" and even though all this mention about shadows is annoying the books are actually pretty good IMO.

Eh.. here's some wikipedia

Brownie

Ooh! Ooh!

Just recently on a trip into the city, we came across a bookstore, see. And it had the most interestingly titled book:

The Book of Dead Philosophers.

It's about history's philosophers and how they lived, taught and died.
It's a very good read. I recommend it.

Brunhidden

that reminds me of two books i saw in my highschool library- 'the tao of pooh' and 'aristotle for everyone, an idiots guide to philosophy'

their existence baffles me
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

superluser

Quote from: Brunhidden on October 24, 2009, 11:53:38 PMthat reminds me of two books i saw in my highschool library- 'the tao of pooh' and 'aristotle for everyone, an idiots guide to philosophy'

their existence baffles me

Given the understanding that the average American has of Aristotle, we could use the latter.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

The Tao of Pooh is actually a good read. It's explaining how Pooh embodies much of The Tao, and does so without taking itself too seriously, and yet just seriously enough.

I liked it enough that I think I have a copy of it somewhere. If not, I'll be getting one sooner or later...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Forycles

The (relatively) new Trilogy 'Looking Glass Wars' is Alice in Wonderland with a twist... that's more like it being rewritten.

The last book only just came out, haven't gotten the chance to read it yet...