Inglorious Basterds (Partial Spoilers)

Started by Rakala, August 28, 2009, 10:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakala

Well, this certainly was an interesting movie. I'm going to give a vague description in the first paragraph and then add spoilers in the second.

Aldo Rain (Brad Pitt) is forming a unit of all jewish soldiers. He is forming this squad only to kill Nazis as you see in the commercials. What they don't tell you is this is a ghost viper squad. Anybody not familiar with the term, it means that they are going to kill people in horrible ways to decrease enemy morale. That's really all I can tell without giving any spoilers. So I'll put a little space so those of you not interested can be surprised by the ending which I never saw coming. Read below for more information. Overall though I enjoyed it. It was an excellent combination of brutally violent and comedic.

Anybody still here will be surprised by this next sentence. THEY KILL HITLER! I'm not even kidding. In a surprising twist the unit manages to kill Hitler, all the SS's leaders, and several high up Germans in a (literally) blazing glory! The way they go about it is this:
They have a German actress as a double agent for them who puts together a plan to assassinate Hitler while watching the release of a propaganda movie. She and the SAS work together with the Inglorious Basterds as they have come to be known, to set off a bomb in the theater. Later they learn that it will be even more effective as the movie premiere plans have been changed to a smaller theater. The owner of this theater is a jewish girl who watched her family gunned down and managed to escape. When she realizes that Hitler will be in her theater she too decides to make a plot to kill him. Surprisingly all plans succeed although they run into their rough points.

JackTheCubiWolf

Well then, that means this movie is atleast half fiction.
I'm back, and tired.

Valynth

Only half?

I'd say about the only parts they got historically right are:  "Nazi's are bad and not nazi's fought them."
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

JackTheCubiWolf

I say have because of the time period and nazi. Did ever mention I'm half German?
I'm back, and tired.

Rakala

Really? Because I'm part German nobility, part orange Irish, part green Irish nobility, part scottish, part English, and part Nordic.

JackTheCubiWolf

I just know that I'm part german, which my attribute to my strive to do everything perfect.
I'm back, and tired.

mirr

i'm scottish, english and irish.... not that it matters. none of that has to do with nazis. this movie barely had anything to do with the war, it's not historical in the least, and really anyone going into a tarantino flick expecting a historically accurate saga kinda makes me lawl.

i liked it despite everything. i adored all the gore, and laughed the entire way through it. in fact hitler  pounding the table and saying 'nine nine nine' or however you spell it, is playing on a loop in my head, and i'm laughing so hard my stomach hurts.

rabid_fox

Quote from: Rakala on August 29, 2009, 10:25:47 AM
Really? Because I'm part German nobility, part orange Irish, part green Irish nobility, part scottish, part English, and part Nordic.

You're a mess.

Oh dear.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: mirr on August 29, 2009, 03:28:21 PM
i liked it despite everything. i adored all the gore, and laughed the entire way through it. in fact hitler  pounding the table and saying 'nine nine nine' or however you spell it, is playing on a loop in my head, and i'm laughing so hard my stomach hurts.

"nein", mirr. Just so you know.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

mirr

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 29, 2009, 07:50:15 PM
Quote from: mirr on August 29, 2009, 03:28:21 PM

"nein", mirr. Just so you know.

much obliged boxy

Reese Tora

I went and saw it this afternoon, and I enjoyed the movie (despite the heavy bass gunfire giving me a bit of a headache ^_^' )

I did think it was rather ironic that their plan succeeded as much by fortuitous accident as planning since, in real life, numerous attempts on Hitler's life failed, a number of them by small coincidence where otherwise they would have forked extraordinarily well...

(the first example of such would have taken out Hitler and half a hall of his supporters if the furher hadn't decided to arrive early and cut his normal 3 hour harangue down to only an hour, with the time bomb going off exactly on time, but hitler long gone.)

And, of course, there's the events that the movie Project Valkyrie were based on.

My dad, who I went to see the movie with, pointed out to me that the majority of the germans that the Inglorious Bastards kill are not, in fact, Nazis.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation