Mapmakers Rejoice

Started by techmaster-glitch, September 16, 2009, 01:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techmaster-glitch

The original StarEdit for mapmaking in the first StarCraft was an excellent tool, allowed for many freeform modifications, like ad-hoc RPG, defence and bound maps, etc., but it had its limits. I've seen (and used) some custom editing tools designed by modmakers (and I once used a few rather interesting mods) that expanded these capabilities further, mainly by "bending" a few rules, allowing stacking, placement of hidden units and players, and square terrain. While incapable of actually changing the fundamentals of the game without using a real mod (which is unsuable on the battlenet), the expanded editors still allowed some incredible stuff with some creativity.

However, this -official- tool for StarCraft 2 will blow all that away; maps, custom map editors, mods, and all. I am once again excited to see what the whole real thing will be like when it is finally complete.

And, like the commentator says, "just wait until this tool gets into the hands of the entire userbase!"

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

TheJimTimMan

At least we can finally get an approximation of Starcraft: Ghost.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: TheJimTimMan on September 16, 2009, 02:53:39 PM
At least we can finally get an approximation of Starcraft: Ghost.
That crossed my mind as well...maybe they will release an official map pack?

Noone

Back when I still played it, I was amazed at how much could be done with Starcraft's editor... and I certainly had fun making/playing modded maps.

This looks like a very nice tool, I hope it's UI is easy to manage though.