missmab.com not reacheable?

Started by 127.0.0.2, August 13, 2009, 07:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello everyone,

does anyone else have problems loading missmab.com right now?

From what I can gather, I can't seem to resolve the domain - or that of any other page hosted by Xepher. Does he have issues with his DNS servers?

If anyone else can load the page, could you maybe post the IP address directly? (you can get it by running "ping missmab.com" in the console)

After all, how shold I survive the day without my daily fix?  :U

hapless

Whole xepher.net and thus its DNS servers, which handle comics' domains are unreachable.
But even if they weren't, the web server is down too.
Check Foxfire or PF - they're all dead.

Speaking of which, it's a bad day for webcomics - cyantian.net went down in flames this morning.
//h
(ed: typo)
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

Wow, didn't know it was that severe. What's happening? An anti-webcomic worm? oO

hapless

Darkmoon

Pure coincidence with CVRPG being hacked yesterday, I'm sure, but interesting that this happened in the same week that CMF was also down for a good 4 hours. Huh...
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Tapewolf

Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on August 13, 2009, 07:28:31 AM
Wow, didn't know it was that severe. What's happening? An anti-webcomic worm? oO

My understanding is that xepher.net is compartmentalised per-user.  It's a sort of hybrid virtualisation scheme something like a cross between a chroot jail and a VM.  For the whole lot to go down I guess it's either be a full-scale OS/hardware failure or a power/connectivity issue.  AFAIK a worm focussing on a single account is unlikely to do that, and it was designed that way.

There'll probably be a reason given on the xepher.net forum when it's fixed, but this sort of thing has happened before.  Not for a while, mind.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

and here i was considering retiring my comicgen site.... must be karma.  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Shadowcatcher

What's interesting is that her domain is missing even from the Whois servers.  Even if her ISP was having DNS problems, I'd still expect the Whois entry to remain intact.

Darkmoon

Yeah, but I think (and I could be wrong, but I think) xepher handles that as well. If the system is down, there's no one to return a "this is who this is" response.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

hapless

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on August 13, 2009, 09:48:27 AM
What's interesting is that her domain is missing even from the Whois servers.  Even if her ISP was having DNS problems, I'd still expect the Whois entry to remain intact.
Quote from: Darkmoon Firelyte on August 13, 2009, 09:59:32 AM
Yeah, but I think (and I could be wrong, but I think) xepher handles that as well. If the system is down, there's no one to return a "this is who this is" response.

From my understanding the autoritative DNS for a domain and its ownership info are two totally separate things.
Unless Xepher itself is a partner-registrar of ... ARIN i think, the WHOIS data should still be available.
... and it is, just checked both xepher.net and missmab.com . Try the unix commandline whois client.
The second part of information is shown with a very large delay, tho, which might mean the system is querying the backup database or something.
Anyway, you can buy a domain without pointing it to a DNS server at all, these are two completely independent operations. Obviously, most often sold together, but it's not necessary.

//h

llearch n'n'daCorna

Xepher runs his own DNS server, btw.

Not whois, but definitely DNS. Just in case you were wondering, hapless. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Amber Williams

hapless

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 13, 2009, 11:15:59 AM
Just in case you were wondering, hapless. ;-]
Nah, it was obvious. If the DNS would be separate it'd still point where it should, but the web server would be unreachable - and we're getting NXDOMAIN responses.
Well, there's actually a chance that the http server survived but no one has the IP to check - unless somebody had and tried?

//h

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: hapless on August 13, 2009, 07:25:40 AM
Whole xepher.net and thus its DNS servers, which handle comics' domains are unreachable.
But even if they weren't, the web server is down too.
Check Foxfire or PF - they're all dead.

Speaking of which, it's a bad day for webcomics - cyantian.net went down in flames this morning.
//h
(ed: typo)

Last Res0rt's not up either, you insensitive clod!  :<

Yup, still on Xepher. Though Dad's been trying to tempt me with his own hosting for a while now...

Tapewolf

Quote from: hapless on August 13, 2009, 11:21:52 AM
Well, there's actually a chance that the http server survived but no one has the IP to check - unless somebody had and tried?

I've pulled the IP address for the Project Future nameserver (ns1.xepher.net).  Curiously if you ping it, you get a response and going to it via HTTP gives you:

Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)

hapless

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on August 13, 2009, 11:24:04 AM
Last Res0rt's not up either, you insensitive clod!  :<
Oh. Sorry. Simply hadn't checked. Now that I'm trying to remeber, you do have that xepher nav box somewhere at the deep end of the page, right?

Something a bit more interesting:
%  dig +short ns1.xepher.net
%  dig +short ns2.xepher.net
%  dig +short -x 98.129.220.128              
sirius.xepher.net.

The DNS SOA record requires you to provide TWO dns servers, for redundancy. Seems that in xepher's case both of them are one. Foo.
Those entries are coming from my ISP's DNS cache - they have large TTLs, as opposed to comic sites' vhost answers.

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 13, 2009, 11:29:26 AM
Quote from: hapless on August 13, 2009, 11:21:52 AM

I've pulled the IP address for the Project Future nameserver (ns1.xepher.net).  Curiously if you ping it, you get a response and going to it via HTTP gives you:

Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)

That's because it's a VHOST.
Try:
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: project-future.org

(two CRLFs at end)

ED: Well, lookydat...

%  telnet 98.129.220.128 80
Trying 98.129.220.128...
Connected to 98.129.220.128.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: missmab.com

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:35:06 GMT
Server: Apache
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.2.9-pl2-gentoo
Cache-Control: max-age=3600
Expires: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:35:06 GMT
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Content-Type: text/html

1fa6

<HTML>
<HEAD>
       <TITLE>DMFA: 08/10/09: Time to abuse mah power!</TITLE>

(...and so on...)

Only the DNS is down. Too bad that your average webbrowser doesn't allow you to specify a Host: header when connectiong to an IP.

ED2: IDEA!

Add
98.129.220.128 xepher.net sirius.xepher.net  www.xepher.net
98.129.220.128 missmab.com www.missmab.com
98.129.220.128 project-future.org www.project-future.org
98.129.220.128 lastres0rt.com www.lastres0rt.com
98.129.220.128 ariannia.com www.ariannia.com

to your /etc/hosts (or c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts ) file.
Dat. Vill. Vorq.

//h(eh, heh, heh...)

Tapewolf

Quote from: hapless on August 13, 2009, 11:35:24 AM
That's because it's a VHOST.
Try:
GET / HTTP/1.1

(two CRLFs at end)

...curiously that doesn't work.  Though I note that you've got yourself a different IP address.  Project-future.org is binding to 208.53.136.90.

hapless

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 13, 2009, 11:39:55 AM
...curiously that doesn't work.  Though I note that you've got yourself a different IP address.  Project-future.org is binding to 208.53.136.90.

Well,
Trying 98.129.220.128...
GET / HTTP/1.1

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:41:17 GMT
Server: Apache
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.2.9-pl2-gentoo
Cache-Control: max-age=3600
Expires: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:41:17 GMT
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Content-Length: 5563
Content-Type: text/html

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
 <head>
   <title>Project Future - strip #74</title>

The /etc/hosts trick seems to work, with a delay.
Xepher.net loads the html, but spawns a bunch of mysql errors - guess that service went down too.
DMFA, Foxfire Chronicles, and Project Future work.
Hmm, Last Restort too - your SQL server must be separate (or are you using the flatfile/SQLite storage option?) No, it just wen up at the exact moment I was testing it :)
//h

Tapewolf

Quote from: hapless on August 13, 2009, 11:43:05 AM
Trying 98.129.220.128...
GET / HTTP/1.1

Yes, that worked for me too, just not with the IPs I'm using in my DNS record.
However I am surprised about the different DNSs.  It's likely that I'm still binding against the original (backup?) server instead of Sirius.

**EDIT**

Either way, it's all up again now.

hapless

Heh. Yep, it all resolves to 98.129.220.128 now, as it should.

If only I'd think about the hosts trick a hour sooner...
My life. Full of wasted opportunities.

//h
(ed: And typos.)

MT Hazard

*Looks though posts*

Nope, all geek to me.  :erk
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

hapless

MT Hazard

Quote from: hapless on August 13, 2009, 12:09:35 PM
Quote from: MT Hazard on August 13, 2009, 12:06:29 PM
*Looks though posts*

Nope, all geek to me.  :erk

Even this?

Quote from: Amber Williams on August 13, 2009, 11:19:21 AM
Woo! Lazy dance time!

//h

No that's all artist. :rolleyes

Trying to understand Code is like another language to me, meaning it makes me twitch and is spoken/used by people smarter, more patient or luckier than me.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Lego3400

Amber Williams

Rakyth

Quote from: MT Hazard on August 13, 2009, 12:19:02 PM
Quote from: hapless on August 13, 2009, 12:09:35 PM
Quote from: MT Hazard on August 13, 2009, 12:06:29 PM
*Looks though posts*

Nope, all geek to me.  :erk

Even this?

Quote from: Amber Williams on August 13, 2009, 11:19:21 AM
Woo! Lazy dance time!

//h

No that's all artist. :rolleyes

Trying to understand Code is like another language to me, meaning it makes me twitch and is spoken/used by people smarter, more patient or luckier than me.

Actually if I saw things correctly, it's all networking.

Code would be like

X=1
Y=1

Prompt X,Y
If X+Y=9
Then Text(1,1,"YOU WIN!")
Else
Prompt X,Y

Copying from my TI84, from memory >:3

From what I understand, they're connecting to the same website with a different IP address[Imagine a street address. An IP address is a street address for a website] while the domain name server[which is like a phonebook for the internet] is down. Hapless notes that one of the programs/services on the website is also down, MySQL.

Hope I cleared things up.
[edit:tweaked]

Mao

llearch n'n'daCorna

The DNS SOA record requires you to provide TWO dns servers, for redundancy. Seems that in xepher's case both of them are one. Foo.

I spoke to Xeph about providing him with a secondary. His response was that, since the whole site was running on a single server, he might as well use the same server for his DNS as well.

(I presume him. I have no specific details either way - for all I know, Xepher might be a eunuch...)

Far be it from me to argue with someone who is doing this basically out of his own pocket...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Rakyth

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 13, 2009, 03:52:02 PM

I spoke to Xeph about providing him with a secondary. His response was that, since the whole site was running on a single server, he might as well use the same server for his DNS as well.

(I presume him. I have no specific details either way - for all I know, Xepher might be a eunuch...)

Far be it from me to argue with someone who is doing this basically out of his own pocket...

It would tickle me to no end if Xepher were to find this message and comment on it.

hapless

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 13, 2009, 03:52:02 PM

Trivia: The Nightmare Mudlib and its derivatives were proposing "hir" as possessive and "sie" as nominative and objective for entities with unkown or neutral gender.

//h