Return of the Great Western Tale (OOC)

Started by Lucheek, July 25, 2009, 02:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucheek

I've always wanted to try out a Cowboys & Indians/ Wild West roleplay. Let's see how this goes...

It is a time of change in the great plains of the New World. Settlers from the oversea empire of Palantine are reaching farther west from their colonies, into the large flat-lands. The native peoples are bunkering down against the foreign invaders. There culture, way of life, and most importantly land is being challenged. As they face the enemy of the Palatinian settlers, two rival tribes, the Novtach and the Chehindo, have created a shaky, uneasy truce to defend their lands. The settlers, for a while, had advanced quickly. They gained much of the Tribe's land on the eastern side of the Cloggrass River.  Their victory, however, was weakened when the nomadic tribe, the Katek, began to trade guns and horses with the natives. The small-scare war for the rich plains around the fertile river rages...

The Novtach Tribe:
   The Novtache people are an ambitious, proud, warrior culture. The edge of their territory is marked in the north by the dry, rocky badlands and in the south by the strange Twisted Three-Tree. (There are not many details of the Novtache culture and identity; they'll be made by you guys as the Role-play goes!) (Pronounced NAHV-tach, NAHV-tach-ee)

The Chehindo Tribe:
   Under their current leader, Chief Potaral, the Chehindo have been less aggressive than normal. They use their location in a bend of the Cloggrass River for successful corn-crops. (There are not many details of the Chehindo culture and identity; they'll be made by you guys as the Role-play goes!) (Pronounced chi-HEN-doh)

The Katek Tribe:
   Kateks are nomadic people who follow herds of game that often pass through the area. They are a small group, and often neither the Novtach nor Chehindo notice their presence when they roost on the outskirts of the tribe's territories. They recently have used their nomadic culture as a benefit in trading, freely practicing commerce with both Natives and Palantinian. (There are not many details of the Katek culture and identity; they'll be made by you guys as the Role-play goes!) (Pronounced KAY-tek, KAY-tex)

The Palantine Settlers:
   The reason for their presence in the Great Plains differs from individual. Some of the Palantine settlers came searching for a new life as farmers and ranchers in the fertile soil, others come looking for adventure, and even some come as missionaries, hoping to convert the native "savages" to monotheism. They center on Henrysford, a western town built in the middle of the newly developed farms and ranches in the Settler's territory. (There are not many details of the Palantine culture and identity; they'll be made by you guys as the Role-play goes!) (Pronounced PAY-lin-tine ,with a long "I" at the end, PAY-lin-tin-ean, with a short "I" in tin.)

~

In this world, the land is populated by animals of the American west. The dominate species (that make up all the tribes and settlers) are both humans and furries (called "Beasts.") Palantine Beasts are based on animals of European origin, while Native Beasts are based on animals of American origin. It is possible for the humans and Beasts to reproduce. More pure-blooded Beasts tend to have the more "were-like" look, and Human/Beast mixes are more anthropomorphic. It's up to the role-play to see how the Human and Beast interactions are in the Native Tribes. In the Palantinian culture, the Humans and Beasts have already gone through a civil-war type movement at home some hundred years ago. At this time, the Beasts claimed a right as equal with the once-dominate Humans. There still is, as the suggested time-period, a patriarchal system in the area (males being the upper-sex, with females viewed as the weaker sex). Technology is limited to the technology of the Wild West (six shooters, rifles, ect...). The natives do have access to horses and guns, but still carry their more traditional weapons. The magic of this world is...questionable. There are no spells that allows one to actually throw giant energy beams at each other or move things with their mind. There can be, however, things like lucky charms that might affect a character. Powerful priests or sorcerers might be able to ask God/The Gods to bring rain, or perform rituals to glimpse into the future. Basically, all magic is constrained to things a nay-sayer would be able to write off as coincidence, fraud, or the effects of drugs. All the natives speak one language ("Speak"), with different dialects from tribe to tribe. The Palatine also speaks one language.

(My Characters)

Called: Heck
Full name: Todd Jackson Heck
Species: Beast, Goldish-Grey Wolfhound
Ethnicity: Palatine
Languages: Palatine, limited Speak
General Appearance and Clothing: Heck is 6'1", with a digitigrades leg build. He wears light-brown pants with simple deer-skin chaps. His top is covered by a beige, cloth shirt and deer-skin vest. The vest is a bit longer than is average, hanging over his belt. There are pockets on the inside where he carries small, rectangular reading glasses and money. His belt is dark brown with a rectangular buckle in the middle. It has two gun-holsters, carrying six-shooters, one on each side. Heck can not shoot with his left hand, but carries two anyway. He wraps a dark reddish-brown cloth around his neck. When in dust storms, he can pull the cloth to cover his nose and mouth, and in heat will pull the cloth over the back of his head to protect his neck. Heck does have hair (not all Beasts do). It is dark brown and trimmed very short against his head, and short-trimmed mutton chops. His eyes are dark brown. No shoes or gloves, and in consequence, very callous feet and hands.
Occupation: Settler's Guide/Guard (He leads travelers from Henrysford into the more "controversial" areas and promises safe-travel.)
Personality: Heck is a narcissist. He thinks very highly of his abilities as a Wild-West person. He likes to talk, dominating the conversation usually with boasts of his abilities. However, he is very insensitive and does not care to listen to anybody else talk. He came to the "Indian Border-Territory" in search of adventure and action. The towns and cities on the eastern coast, Heck felt, were boring and too restrictive for him. Although self-centered, he has a lot of charm and charisma in that rapscallion kind of way. He has somewhat of a poor sense of humor, more likely to get annoyed or frustrated with others than laugh. Although his "rugged adventurer" type makes him popular with some of the ladies in Henrysford, Heck is extremely prudent and critical of promiscuous and even romantic things. ("It just ain't no right".) This moral sense, though, doesn't seem to spread to things like light gambling and drinking.
Other: Heck has a horse named Horse. (He claims he named her, and he named her Horse.) Horse is a brown mare with a little bit of white around the muzzle. She is very obedient to Heck, though otherwise very cautious and defensive.

Called: Chief Potaral
Full Name: Chief Potaral (Po-TAY-rail)
Species: Human
Ethnicity: Chehindo
Languages: Speak
General Appearance: Potaral is 5'8", and often leans on a long-instrument shaped similarly to a cane. He can blow in this cane to call together his people. He has long black hair that is graying near the roots, pulled through a thin turquoise tube-shaped bauble and thrown over his left shoulder. He wears a very simplistic robe that only has a sleeve on the left side. The robe reaches his ankles and is frilled. His right shoulder is tattooed with the image of a stylized turtle. Potaral wears thin moccasin-style shoes with simple beaded decoration. His skin is darker and often sunburned, and he has the thin, veined skin that old people develop. His eyes are dark, with heavy eyelids that often make him look drowsy. He has thicker, gray eyebrows. Potaral has a strong, jutting nose and a weak, pointed chin. During ceremonies, Chief Potaral wears a bear pelt robe and will tie an indigo-blue band around his forehead. (The indigo dye is very rare and expensive.)
Occupation: Leader of the Chehindo tribe. At this point, he is mainly a political player, too old to be much use in fighting.
Personality: As the tattooed turtle symbolizes, Chief Potaral is very cautious and deep-thinking. Because he puts much time and thought into all his decisions, he moves relatively slow. Recently, he has become very concerned with what he sees as "cultural degeneration" in his tribe. Potaral believes that the traditions and customs of the Chehindo are fading, and is putting most of his political power into retaining and maintaining their traditions. This has caused him to be less concerned with the continuing advances of the Settler's territory, or maintaining the shaky political bond with long-time enemies, the Novtach. Other officials in the Chehindo secretly believe they are suffering from his unambitious leadership. Chief Potaral is passionate and kind, but his slow-talking and much closed mind to new ideas (along with sometimes complete refusal to acknowledge current problems) cause him to anger some of his people. This also causes the Chief to be angry at them, at witch times he uses his authority as Chief and deep intimidating voice to the most of his abilities.
Other: Chief Potaral's house is made of large sticks and branches wrapped around and on top of each other in a quasi-dome shape, and fortified by mud from the banks of the Cloggrass. The top of the dwelling is covered in woven grasses to deter rain, with an opening made by the same material.

Lucheek

(Pardon me if bumping is not allowed, if this is even considered bumping. Is there something I'm forgetting to do to start a role-play here? should I make the IC and the OOC board at the same time? I was waiting to see if there was some intrest in the role-play before making an IC board. This is my frist role-play on these forums, and I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong.)

techmaster-glitch

I don't think anone is really interested; half the RPs here seem to end up like this. For me, at least, I guess I'm not really into an Old West RP unless I can haz steampunkz :B. (plus, the majority of the player audience on this board isn't in the USA, so they may not even be familiar with the Old West theme)

Sorry, lucheek  :mowsad

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Lucheek on August 22, 2009, 12:41:15 PM
Pardon me if bumping is not allowed, if this is even considered bumping.

No, bumping isn't really allowed, if there hasn't been any activity in the IC _and_ OOC threads combined. We're a bit lax on it, in that we'll cut you some slack, but in this case, there's been zero posts in the intervening almost-a-month, which indicates that you haven't really caught the imagination of anyone.

You might want to consider what you're asking people to do, here, and why they might want to play this game.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Lucheek

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 22, 2009, 01:32:02 PM
Quote from: Lucheek on August 22, 2009, 12:41:15 PM
Pardon me if bumping is not allowed, if this is even considered bumping.

No, bumping isn't really allowed, if there hasn't been any activity in the IC _and_ OOC threads combined. We're a bit lax on it, in that we'll cut you some slack, but in this case, there's been zero posts in the intervening almost-a-month, which indicates that you haven't really caught the imagination of anyone.

You might want to consider what you're asking people to do, here, and why they might want to play this game.

Alright, thanks for letting me get away with it. I guess not everybody is into horseback guunfights and saloonn brawls as me.

Pretzel

I don't know; this actually looks rather interesting to me. Maybe if we work together, we can flesh out the world a little bit more. The background you've got for it already is quite amazing, and I'd love to see this get moving.