7/15/2009 [FC#52] The Great Soviet Tree Invasion.

Started by Sicill, July 15, 2009, 08:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sicill

The Foxfire Chronicles has updated and new characters are abound :boogie. Thou this means we're not going to see Luke's torment for a little while.
Also, guess this helps to explain where Chernobyl went, though it appears to have shrunk by a few buildings.

Turnsky

Quote from: Sicill on July 15, 2009, 08:29:07 PM
The Foxfire Chronicles has updated and new characters are abound :boogie. Thou this means we're not going to see Luke's torment for a little while.
Also, guess this helps to explain where Chernobyl went, though it appears to have shrunk by a few buildings.

While tapewolf's off making hydro-electric schemes creatively defy the laws of physics, i'm putting divots in planets.  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

From the masks and kit it looks like they come from a higher-tech region, yes?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kabbalist

Buh-wha? An update! An actual update! It's...so beautiful.  :eager

On a more plot-related note: Very interesting...do you suppose we're about to see what happened to some of Luke's other compatriots?

Tapewolf: Love the new icon!

llearch n'n'daCorna: Okay, that made me laugh. Now I can see it too. I have to wonder, though, does this qualify as a "bogey" or an "eagle?" Wait, it's probably more of a blast-out since he had to get the targets out of a really nasty bunker.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Kabbalist on July 16, 2009, 04:34:43 AM
llearch n'n'daCorna: Okay, that made me laugh. Now I can see it too. I have to wonder, though, does this qualify as a "bogey" or an "eagle?" Wait, it's probably more of a blast-out since he had to get the targets out of a really nasty bunker.

Bogey? Eagle? I have no idea about golf. I just like the idea of divots...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Kabbalist

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 16, 2009, 04:39:53 AM

Bogey? Eagle? I have no idea about golf. I just like the idea of divots...

That's okay, most of my golf vocabulary comes from old Nintendo games. The important thing to know is that a "blast-out" is when a golfer hits a ball out of a sand trap so hard that he sends sand flying all over the place. Nice and dramatic.

...Oh, divots! It must be far, far too late at night for me, since I just got the pun that you made after Turnsky's post.

Tapewolf

Tapewolf: Love the new icon!

Thanks.  You may also wish to see: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2449836

Quote from: Sicill on July 15, 2009, 08:29:07 PM
Thou this means we're not going to see Luke's torment for a little while.
IMHO the guy could do with a break.  Too bad that's not likely to happen...

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 16, 2009, 04:17:38 AM
From the masks and kit it looks like they come from a higher-tech region, yes?

I'll answer this at a later date, with their full racial profile.. but suffice to say, they're effectively my version of Dwarves, with creative tweaks here and there.

as for the tech itself, i won't divulge too much, but the rifles vary between breech and muzzle loaders, and depending on who made 'em, Flint, Match, or percussion of varying types. Pretty archaic designs overall.

Kabbalist

Quote from: Turnsky on July 16, 2009, 06:13:34 AM

I'll answer this at a later date, with their full racial profile.. but suffice to say, they're effectively my version of Dwarves, with creative tweaks here and there.

as for the tech itself, i won't divulge too much, but the rifles vary between breech and muzzle loaders, and depending on who made 'em, Flint, Match, or percussion of varying types. Pretty archaic designs overall.

So what you're saying is...kinda-sorta, but only relative to the rest of the setting that we've seen so far. Maybe. If you feel like it.

Quote from: TapewolfThanks.  You may also wish to see: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2449836

I thought I recognized that combined style! Good choice, Tape.

Mao

Is this a Turnsky update?  It is?  YAY!  Late birthday gift for me!

Zedd

TheJimTimMan

The building looks like a roadside refueling station more than anything else, or considering its seemingly recent appearance and effect on the environment, possibly a vault of some kind. What powers Benghali portal devices, anyway? An element X substance, or some form of Elerium perhaps?

Sicill

What powers Benghali Gate Drives? You mean aside from what it took from the nuclear power plant before the plant ripped itself apart and irradiated part of Eurasia?

TheJimTimMan

I wasn't aware the drive was draining power from the Chernobyl plant, in fact I don't remember Takahn restarting the reactor at any point at all, I simply assumed it used an internal source; also if Takahn was using the reactor at any point the activity would likely have been noticed by the locals and definitely by Mary and the others, particularly Davis. Unless the gate was leeching power from the reactor before it blew, something I find unlikely as Takahn had to repair the drive before he could use it (although I am assuming whatever energy source it was using was damaged in the catastrophe), I doubt it would have sufficient power to open a portal halfway across the galaxy (gah, I need to re-read the archives, I'm not even sure if Ariannia is in this galaxy).

Buh-wha? An update! An actual update! It's...so beautiful.  :eager

Amen to that. We ought to hold a party or something, at least some form of minor celebration in the name of this event.  :boogie

Sicill

I don't believe Turnsky's said where Ariannia is yet.

The impression I had(admittedly from another older forum) was that the First Chernobyl Incident was directly related with an attempt to power the Gate. However The best source in information to confirm or deny what happened would be Turnsky.

On the note of damage, you would think that the Gate Drive system would rely on some pretty advanced technology. Even so, with thousands of years to pass a level of degradation would occur rendering activating the gate immediately difficult if not impossible. 1980's Soviet tech might not be up to the task of turning it on or performing repairs. We don't know what sort of exotic physics was behind the device but seeing as Humanity lacked any obvious magical based technology,it would be difficult to understand how a machine that worked with the arcane, well, worked. Takahn could have quite possibly been the only living person (Bengahl didn't count as alive) with even the most basic expertise to perform necessary repairs.

Turnsky

Quote from: Sicill on July 16, 2009, 11:10:51 PM
I don't believe Turnsky's said where Ariannia is yet.

The impression I had(admittedly from another older forum) was that the First Chernobyl Incident was directly related with an attempt to power the Gate. However The best source in information to confirm or deny what happened would be Turnsky.

On the note of damage, you would think that the Gate Drive system would rely on some pretty advanced technology. Even so, with thousands of years to pass a level of degradation would occur rendering activating the gate immediately difficult if not impossible. 1980's Soviet tech might not be up to the task of turning it on or performing repairs. We don't know what sort of exotic physics was behind the device but seeing as Humanity lacked any obvious magical based technology,it would be difficult to understand how a machine that worked with the arcane, well, worked. Takahn could have quite possibly been the only living person (Bengahl didn't count as alive) with even the most basic expertise to perform necessary repairs.

The gate drives themselves draw power from hyperspace energies once sufficiently charged, the first incident occurred when humans tried to "fire it up" not taking into account their own reactor design flaws.

the Gate drive system was designed and built by bengahl when he still had a pulse first time around.. he builds things to last, and don't forget the AI construct he left behind, also.. to maintain things.

Turnsky

Quote from: Turnsky on July 17, 2009, 01:53:43 AM
The gate drives themselves draw power from hyperspace energies once sufficiently charged, the first incident occurred when humans tried to "fire it up" not taking into account their own reactor design flaws.

the Gate drive system was designed and built by bengahl when he still had a pulse first time around.. he builds things to last, and don't forget the AI construct he left behind, also.. to maintain things.

ooog, did i say all that?... proof is in the pudding, folks, i'm a man obsessed. Pray that Bengahl's never unleashed around Tape's crew... Bengahl's a very scary individual...

that said, updated, yo.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on August 05, 2009, 09:28:29 AM
ooog, did i say all that?... proof is in the pudding, folks, i'm a man obsessed.
I dunno.  Thinking out the technical details is always a good thing in my book.

QuotePray that Bengahl's never unleashed around Tape's crew... Bengahl's a very scary individual...

I wouldn't underestimate Daryil  :3

Keleth

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 05, 2009, 11:40:05 AM
ooog, did i say all that?... proof is in the pudding, folks, i'm a man obsessed.

QuotePray that Bengahl's never unleashed around Tape's crew... Bengahl's a very scary individual...

Don't underestimate. . . . Troll dragon!

*Waves his sock puppet around*
Help! I'm gay!

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 05, 2009, 11:40:05 AM

Given what Bengahl has done in the past, Bengahl can be a bigger dick than most fae in the DMFA-verse.  :U

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on August 06, 2009, 06:47:03 AM
Given what Bengahl has done in the past, Bengahl can be a bigger dick than most fae in the DMFA-verse.  :U
I guess some people were happy when he ended up in a bouncy ball for a few eons then  :P

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 06, 2009, 06:49:11 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on August 06, 2009, 06:47:03 AM
I guess some people were happy when he ended up in a bouncy ball for a few eons then  :P

things still rolled on without him, he plans that far ahead.  :U

Mao

Well, I guess no moss grew on that rolling stone.

Sprocketsdance

:giggle I would love to see Bengahl and Daryil fight.. actually Bengahl and Jakob fighting would be cool to see too!  :boogie

Turnsky

Quote from: wuffnpuff on August 06, 2009, 08:49:13 AM
:giggle I would love to see Bengahl and Daryil fight.. actually Bengahl and Jakob fighting would be cool to see too!  :boogie

it'd really depend on what they have to work with, i'd say.. with a Cubi there's a distinct range advantage over a Thaelith, even medium range with those tentacles, however up close and personal is a Thaelith's best fighting range, and you've already seen Bengahl punch Luke clean through a couple of walls.

however, Bengahl /can/ come equipped with some nifty toys, and Thae'lith can use the scenery around them as potential weapons (See: Rocks, trees, other people)

just don't give Bengahl enough time to build something, that's all i'm saying.  :P