07/19/06 Canada migration on hold

Started by thegayhare, July 19, 2006, 12:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

Gahhh

after all her work they turned her away?  why?

and then her computer dies...

*sighs*
poor amber

RJ

*gasp* How could they turn her away!? I demand answers!!

*goes to deliver muffins to the people that turned her away*  :rj

Nikki

*gets her assasination gear* tell me to go and i'll get to work...

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

King Of Hearts

What the frikk?!

What happened? Why would Canada deny Miss Amber for?  I thought everything was going smoothly. Not good... not good at all...

Fresnor

Does anybody else have the urge to sing the "Blame Canada" song from South Park now?  >.>

thegayhare

It's explained in the comics rant...

not very clearly mind you

xHaZxMaTx

Awww, sux0rz. :cry  Canada still rocks, though!  Wonder why they wouldn't let her in. :|

Netami

Ah the benefit of running a socially invested business.

So where's the paypal link  :B

ShadesFox

It is because she made fun of hockey.  Being Canadian seems to work on a point system.

Still, can we get any more info about the computer dieing?  There are so many PC nerds on the forums that someone might be able to help.
The All Purpose Fox

Poofyspikes

O Canada! My not-so-native land!
Why must you be so anal-retentive?
With raging heart I see thee laugh,
At my predicament.
I've come so far, O Canada,
Why won't you let me in?
I promise I won't commit any crimes!
O Canada, I wait at your border!
O Canada, I wait at your border!

xHaZxMaTx

Hockey = best sport on Earth, no wonder they didn't let here in. :eek

Kasarn

Well, all I can say is that sucks.

I hope things work out.

Supercheese

Where's Norm the genie when you need him...

Canada is normally not this uncool. Well, I mean, it's cool as in temperature year-round, but it's normally a fun place...

Paladin Sheppard

Damn this sucks D'moon tell Amber some cash is on its way (not much but I hope it helps)

Sienna Maiu - M T

Well that kind of sucks. It's true though, we're highly protective over our syrup. However, hockey is lame. The only hockey I've ever watched was the Winter Olympics four years ago when Canada's men and women teams won. I remember eating icecream that was designed like a Canada flag...

Unholy Chronus

This is probably why:
10 things to know before coming to Canada.

But seriously... I don't know... we're quite picky about who moves here... and I don't know why.

Shadrok

Quote from: Fresnor on July 19, 2006, 12:36:50 AM
Does anybody else have the urge to sing the "Blame Canada" song from South Park now?  >.>

:yeahthat and the movie Canadian Bacon.

Forgotten

Alright, I be Canadian, and last time I checked you're free to mozzy along so as you know what do to.

There are some requirements, buuut I don't know/remember the deal. I believe if its a vacation, you don't need to worry. But if you plan to live in Canada aka become a "resident" you need to become a Canadian citizen and there is a test required etc.

Shame Amber didn't get in, prolly because of some stupid reason and the border patrol was PMSing.

Flame

Last time I tried to "mosey" into Canada they seemed convinced my dad was concealing some type of weapon.

Regal

Quote from: Fresnor on July 19, 2006, 12:36:50 AM

Actually I was thinking of the Hate Canada song from MST3K.

I hope the "CIA spy" bumper sticker I secretly stuck onto Amber's car didn't cause the problem.  :erk

Netami

Quote from: Disheveled on July 19, 2006, 02:07:37 AM
Last time I tried to "mosey" into Canada they seemed convinced my dad was concealing some type of weapon.

I advise that, next time, he should leave the katana at home.

Vaguely Creepy

She didn't get in because they're trying to take over the world too.

http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=200

They don't want the competition.

xHaZxMaTx

I knew it! Canada shall cosume you all!!! :twisted

Wildy

Mab here...I'm on wildy's comp at the time...urgh...since Dmoon was very vague, I figure I'll go into the details.

What basically happened is that of all the times I've been crossing into Canada...usually with carfulls of stuff...I happened to get the one border guard who was apparently not a happy person.  She noticed that my lisense, my plates, and my residence were all different places and decided it was suspicious enough to flag.  And since I wasn't expecting it, the questioning from the Immigration guy completly nailed me moreso.  I also was lacking some of the paperworks, and that combined with the fact I choke under pressure...basically made me look suspicous and turn me away until i provide proof of several things.  They didn't even believe me about who Mason was...though I admit my brain locked and when they asked where he worked, I said Verizon, which while true...I forget that the company is called Teletech and they hire themselves out to Verizon...

So basically I need several things revised to show I'm not terrible.  Half of which are things that can likely be resolved in the course of a week.(some of them being things I simply didnt think about taking cause I didnt expect the Spanish Inquisition)  The only real problem is one of them is proof of employment...and DMFA isnt exactly the symbol of a steady income.  I have a plan for that...but overall I'mkinda just meh.l

To be honest...the biggest and worst blow is actually teh computer. From what it looks like...the hard drive or something got jostled on the trip and it caused the problem.  I'll find out this Friday if the hard drive is even recoverable...but you all can probably guess that losing everything on it(including all the high rez and files not put online) combined with the 14 hour drive of disapointment and this rejection...it was more or less the thing that broke me.  The Canada thing is a setback...but survivable and I can resolve...but combined with the computer dieing...it cant help but feel like this is a cosmic kick to the balls.  Cause I can't even do anything at this moment. No comics...no arts...nothing to distract me from the fact i've been leveled with SUCK.

At the moment, I'm thinking of heading back to Indiana. Most of my paperwork is there...and it will be easy enough to revamp most of the things I'm lacking. Since I own my own car, I should be relatively better financial-wise...but I still need to get bank statements to be safe.

But honestly...right now everything just really hurts.  My legs from the drive...my head...but mostly that thing deep down inside my gut when I try to think about all that has happened.  I'm still not entirely sure how I go about resolving things(Do i have to go back to that exact guy? Or can I go to any immigration office at a customs?)  But the computer is probably the worst blow.  And I realize that heh...it all sounds so horribly lame and like a real-furry-artist...I really wish Mike didn't try to do a call out for money...cause it sounds so cliche and laughable that "oh look. Amber is in another financial bind, lets get the nice readers to give her more money."  I can see why Netami normally has his opinion of me...I really am quite a stupid sight...only a month after my last financial hurdle here comes another.

I guess it all boils down to priorities...and currently my main one is getting my comp running so I can update(and I even did a comic in advance so I coulod update!!  Its...ironic I guess) and then getting enough stuff together so I can prove to Canada I'm not a lying vagrant.  So basically, I guess I'll be doing my last ditch of all efforts.

once I get my computer up...if I get my computer up..., I'm going to auction off the original DMFA strips.  probably in batches...not sure of the amount.  Probably betweeb 10 and 50.  Or Maybe entire arcs...that should hopefully raise enough that I can present a decent financial front.

I'm just tired...and probably rambling.    The drive was a drain...I havent eaten in 24 hours and I'm not even hungry...my spirits have been curb-stomped and I keep going through my head various what ifs...

I didnt even know I could screw things up so majestically in the span of 1 day. 

Netami

Oh please, I'm pissed at you over something that happened like five years ago and was none of my business. I've been squeezing blood from a turnip for about four of those years. You're an established artist and there's no goddamn shame in getting money for hard work. I believe there's been about TWO incidents where I felt like you were abusing your "benefactors" ((I was also under the assumption that you had no income besides donations. The telecom thing was sort of a shock.))

Your computer problem sounds like a loose hard-drive, and even if it's not the only way you could seriously lose everything is if you decided to pack it next to a magnet. I don't know who is local to you besides Slavkei (And he's savvy enough to look for that), but don't do anything you'll regret later just because things appear to be fucked up.

Give us a number to shoot for. My last post was not sarcastic and I am going to be pissed at you if you don't take our charity with pride.

LoneHowler

Its possible to be polite and anal at the same time that describes Canada customs for you. I work for a similar industry airport security.

Typical American Traveler: "but I got through L.A. with it" or "it's legal in the US"

Airport Security or Canada Customs: "you are not in the States the rules are different here now would you kindly surrender the item"

T.A.T. " I'm a American citizen. I have rights I know this is allowed in the US it should be allowed here too"

A.S. / C.C. "once again sir your not in the US anymore, you are now subject to Canada's rules. now will you please surrender the item before you get into more trouble"

T.A.T" ***** here take the ****** thing I hope you enjoy it. ******."  (storms off in a huff)

A.S. / C.C  "Have a nice trip"

sadly this happens several times a day at airport security. I'm sure Canada Customs gets it far more often than us.

Now Amber for you next attempt at the border. try being care bear nice even if it makes you teeth fall out. they'll think you belong and pass you right through :mowcookie

(Edit: trust me there are a few Canada Customs agents the make Snape look like a saint not all Canadians are super nice people. however most of us are nice I hope your next attempt you get a nice border agent)

Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better
MY warp aci crappy photoshop I wish I had my tablet working
My Yappty thanks Silver :)
(hmm my sig needs updating. eeeeeh I'll do it later 07/29/06)

kagehyo

:cuss   RARG!!!! stupid stupid STUPID, Border people!!!!!

i am so freakin' embarrased to be a canadian right now.......those customs and immigrations retards! i could barely even get into my own freakin country sometimes >__<  !!!!

anyways, i am going to phone those bastards as soon as buisness hours begin, hey dose anybody know wich border crrosing station  she used? that would be helpful info...

*sigh* I will do my best to try to straighten this out from the inside,  i'll also get Jamesstarunner , and we will totaly try to help out in any way

to Amber: im sorry you got turned away like that,  not all canadians are like those border people retards. once we get you in here, if you ever find yourself in Alberta , feel free to email me  and drop by, we'll have a vist. ^_^

Tapewolf

Quote from: Wildy on July 19, 2006, 04:21:42 AM
To be honest...the biggest and worst blow is actually teh computer. From what it looks like...the hard drive or something got jostled on the trip and it caused the problem.  I'll find out this Friday if the hard drive is even recoverable...but you all can probably guess that losing everything on it(including all the high rez and files not put online) combined with the 14 hour drive of disapointment and this rejection...it was more or less the thing that broke me.  The Canada thing is a setback...but survivable and I can resolve...but combined with the computer dieing...it cant help but feel like this is a cosmic kick to the balls.  Cause I can't even do anything at this moment. No comics...no arts...nothing to distract me from the fact i've been leveled with SUCK.

Jesus.  I hate to say it, but this is exactly why I wanted to buy the master copies for what is still extant.  I'm too late as ever :(
How much of it is burned onto CD/DVD?

The drive iself should be recoverable to the point of extracting data from it, although it may require a cleanroom job if the mechanism is physically damaged.
Get a quote for it, up to and including cleanroom recovery - I should be able to underwrite the cost, although I'll expect DVD copies for that kind of money ;)

And please, please, don't sell the physical strips until they have been scanned in.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Xss

When I think I'm planing to migrate to Canada within some years : that doesn't reassure me at all.  :tired I thought it was easy to migrate to Canada, I'm so naïve...
I know that what I'm going to say will be useless but anyway : I'm sorry to learn all that, sorry for what happened in the border, sorry for your computer. I hope everything will go right quickly and you'll be able to make your way to Canada next time. And I hope the hard drive will be recoverable.

xHaZxMaTx

I'd really like to learn more about your computer, because everyone seems to be assuming it's the hard-drive which very well may not be the case.  It could be as simple as a loose stick of memory.  And even if your hard-drive did get corrupted somewhow, but not physically damged, you could still gets the files transfered to another hard-drive, no problem.

Sorry to hear about all this crap happening at once, I can't imagine what you must be going through, but you'll feel so much better once you get settled in and everything.  It's just a little complication/miscommunication, right?  Nothing to get you banned from Canada or something.

Sorry I can't help out by sending money or something (I'm dead broke), but I can quote a song! A very good song by a very good band!  "You worry too much / You make yourself sad; You can't change fate / But don't feel so bad; Enjoy it while you can / It's just like the weather; So quit complaining brother; No one lives forever!!"

Hmm... that seemed to make more sense when I first thought of it...