D&D 4th Edition: The Return of the Topic

Started by Rakala, April 07, 2009, 02:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murmer

Quote from: Drathorin on May 07, 2009, 10:52:19 AM
I'm kinda glad that 4th ed seems a little harder for powergamers to abuse.

3.5 was kinda ridiculous in the combinations and multi-classing you could have to be almost perfect at everything :o

I question your statement on how 4th ed is harder to break characters. Where there's a will, there's a way, and I know too many people (shows how sadly gamerish I am  :U) who have broken 4th ed classes just as easily as they had in 3.5, more so even.

You can't be perfect in everything in 3.5, unless you're alluding to Punpun. I've played a bit of the 4th ed and honestly I have to say it's nice, but I don't like it. It's probably mainly because I started off knowing 3.5, and got to know it very well, whereas 4th ed was so streamlined and simplified that I felt it clashed with my creativity.

That said, you only min-max and break characters/classes if you have too much time on your hands/are bored. Making unique, creative characters is much more challenging and a lot more fun in 3.5 ed. I mean, that's what I did with my Tiefling beguiler >.> <.<

(She was such an awesome evil-aligned character... gawd I miss that campaign)

Keleth

I'm a little confused on how to it clashes with your creativity, But We do see things differently ;o or I'm also slightly broken. Either or :b

I've played 3.0/3.5 since high school, and while I still do -love- it. (I have modules for 3.0 and 3.5 and it's still the main Roleplaying system me and my friends use) I like 4th just as much.

While yes, I find it's a little less creative in specific moves and feats I can take for my character, I actually find that my creativity has gone up as far as making the indepth characters.

This is due to the fact that one of my major weak points, is math. So I spend less time doing the math, and more time being vocal/interacting. It used to take me about 15-25 minutes to level up. Just to -find- things in the book and work the math out without being broken. . . Which still happened a bit e.e;

I love both systems a lot x3 but I am so glad we have 4th, as for someone like me who's new to the DM experience, it helps me get my feet wet so to speak, so I can do a better job.

The only thing I'm not a fan of with 4th, is the encounter powers, and max healing you can take. I -miss- hardcore healing spells. But I find that either our a) DMs are experienced enough  b) Game is balanced enough that we always make it through fights without the 'oh shit we're all dead' experience.

Usually we're all 'mostly dead' when the encounters are over ;)
Help! I'm gay!

Azlan

Math... the math is so basic in 30/3.5, I can't understand how anyone could have an issue with it. 

High math game... look at Champions.

4e has a few points to it, but I see it too limiting, too tame and far too limited.  If I wanted to play a... Feral, Goblin of Legend Paladin... I could.  Heck I could be a literal furry (with horribly high ECL ;( ) in 3.5e, but 4e its a bit more restrained.

They both have their advantages, and both have their failures.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Reese Tora

Quote from: Azlan on June 16, 2009, 08:47:01 PM
Math... the math is so basic in 30/3.5, I can't understand how anyone could have an issue with it. 

High math game... look at Champions.

4e has a few points to it, but I see it too limiting, too tame and far too limited.  If I wanted to play a... Feral, Goblin of Legend Paladin... I could.  Heck I could be a literal furry (with horribly high ECL ;( ) in 3.5e, but 4e its a bit more restrained.

They both have their advantages, and both have their failures.

hey, I have that supliment! only most of the anthros have adjusted character levels at all, and most of them only have a level adjustment of +1 or +2 (of course, the ones with no level adjustment are all small creatures; rats, weasles, toads, snakes... and baleen whales?! *looks at related stats* total of +20 to stats... that ECL has gotta be a missprint... and why are cats +1 level? their stat mods total to 0 and I don't recall any racial abilities make up for it! that's discrimination!)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: murmer on June 13, 2009, 09:59:07 AM
Quote from: Drathorin on May 07, 2009, 10:52:19 AM
I'm kinda glad that 4th ed seems a little harder for powergamers to abuse.

3.5 was kinda ridiculous in the combinations and multi-classing you could have to be almost perfect at everything :o
I question your statement on how 4th ed is harder to break characters. Where there's a will, there's a way, and I know too many people (shows how sadly gamerish I am  :U) who have broken 4th ed classes just as easily as they had in 3.5, more so even.

Whilst I appreciate your enthusiasm for the subject, I should point out that you appear to have breached the Necromancy rule.

:locked
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears