The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

Started by Ryudo Lee, June 19, 2009, 12:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryudo Lee

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on June 19, 2009, 12:29:02 PM
DO WANT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-INwpN7vwg

Wow.  Me too.  It looks to me like they have actually done a remake that improves on the original and doesn't break it.
I just hope it doesn't need Vista or phone home or require your firstborn in order to make it run...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Paladin Sheppard

Ryudo Lee

The prevailing rumor is that if this sells well, then they'll do special editions of other games, like Loom or Full Throttle.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on June 19, 2009, 01:27:39 PM
The prevailing rumor is that if this sells well, then they'll do special editions of other games, like Loom or Full Throttle.

Must.. have... LOOM.
Fate of Atlantis would be sweet as well.

Malakin

Holy cow!

yes Yes YES!

But I liked the old Guybrush better than the new, BUT YOU CAN SWITCH BETWEEN THE NEW STUFF AN OLD :O

Also Fate of Atlantis, best indi game ever full stop.
TBH it should have been the fourth movie, but they went with KOTCS :/
"The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.
"

Tapewolf

Quote from: Malakin on June 20, 2009, 02:50:12 PM
But I liked the old Guybrush better than the new, BUT YOU CAN SWITCH BETWEEN THE NEW STUFF AN OLD :O
Not as old as the version I've played - that was EGA.  Same with Loom.
I do wonder what the organ prelude in the church sounds like in the new version though - for all that it was done with 2-operator FM, it sounded very convincing and was one of my favourite pieces in the game.

QuoteAlso Fate of Atlantis, best indi game ever full stop.
Yeah, I was disappointed.  Have you played all three paths?  I've usually gone the team path.  Tried to do the intelligence path once, but I don't think I completed it that way.
And there were several of the random locations of the manuscript (or whatever) that I was simply never able to solve.

Oh gods, I've got to play it again now.

Sofox

Quote from: Malakin on June 20, 2009, 02:50:12 PM
Also Fate of Atlantis, best indi game ever full stop.

At some point, in the fourth Indiana Jones movie, Jones SHOULD have said:
"I'm selling these fine leather jackets..."

Vidar

\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Malakin

Quote from: Sofox on June 20, 2009, 09:13:25 PM
At some point, in the fourth Indiana Jones movie, Jones SHOULD have said:
"I'm selling these fine leather jackets..."

Hehe :P

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 20, 2009, 03:08:22 PM
Not as old as the version I've played - that was EGA.  Same with Loom.
I do wonder what the organ prelude in the church sounds like in the new version though - for all that it was done with 2-operator FM, it sounded very convincing and was one of my favourite pieces in the game.

I have to admit that I cant remember what version I played, but I think it might have been the EGA version, but the music I remember to be very primitive and yet its some of my favourite game music even compared to the modern stuff today.
And on a side note, I don't think I have ever actually 'played' LOOM :O Though I have watched it being played by my older brothers, but back then playing games like these were communal things :P everyone pitched in ideas and every session ended with an argument over who got a go next :F

/nostalgia

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 20, 2009, 03:08:22 PM
Yeah, I was disappointed.  Have you played all three paths?  I've usually gone the team path.  Tried to do the intelligence path once, but I don't think I completed it that way.
And there were several of the random locations of the manuscript (or whatever) that I was simply never able to solve.

Oh gods, I've got to play it again now.

Yeah I (we) have. Again, like with LOOM it was a joint effort playing through each, the intelligence path I think got us to use the hint book though :P

Was that the path that at some point has you crush the world disk with a old elevator under ground? Or does that happen in all three paths? I cant remember :/

Yeah, when I get the chance I need to play through all those old games again! I think I sill have the original floppy disks and the manual as well as a old computer in the loft that will play them :D
"The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.
"

Ryudo Lee

I only ever played the CD (VGA) versions of Monkey Island, Loom, and Full Throttle.  I never did experience the floppy versions.  I did however play the floppy version of Last Crusade, IIRC.

I did have the floppy version of Simon the Sorcerer, but that's not Lucasarts...

TheJimTimMan

On a side note; for those of you who use such modern things as Steam, Lucasarts is bringing parts of its catalog to the platform: http://store.steampowered.com/news/2644/

I, for one, would welcome the chance to play the games the generations preceding mine call "The Classics" (if places like Rock, Paper, Shotgun are to be believed). Microsoft's abandonment of backwards-compatability in its recent OSs has left me somewhat high and dry; another reason to regret buying Vista, and Windows 7 seems to be relegating compatibility to XP "productivity" programs such as office, making this something to look forward to.

Quote from: Malakin on June 25, 2009, 07:58:52 PM
And on a side note, I don't think I have ever actually 'played' LOOM :O Though I have watched it being played by my older brothers, but back then playing games like these were communal things :P everyone pitched in ideas and every session ended with an argument over who got a go next :F

/nostalgia

Ah, long sessions of Diablo 2: LoD with some friends down in Somerset were like this. Nostalgia is a feeling mutual to the majority of this thread, I believe.