12/06/09 [Abel #58] - Chatterbox

Started by MT Hazard, June 12, 2009, 05:26:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caswin

Quote from: Mao Laoren on June 19, 2009, 12:31:54 PMIt's apparently rude to apply this to another person, something I've never heard nor seen before.
Probably because referring to people as "it" rarely comes up.  It's hardly unreasonable to take offense, mainly because "it" tends to imply something less than human.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Caswin on June 19, 2009, 05:26:45 PM
Quote from: Mao Laoren on June 19, 2009, 12:31:54 PMIt's apparently rude to apply this to another person, something I've never heard nor seen before.
Probably because referring to people as "it" rarely comes up.  It's hardly unreasonable to take offense, mainly because "it" tends to imply something less than human.

Of cause, that's because people tend to be human-biased.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

inuhanyo

Quote from: Kage on June 19, 2009, 12:13:14 PM
Those who are overly PC are quick to jump on words, and many times others who use said words, that imply a specific gender to a title.  "Chairwoman" for example is a made up word, because it suddenly became very unPC to refer to them as the "chairman" even though that would be the correct (historically speaking) gender neutral title to use.  I've known of a few women who did know about this and would often correct people say they are the "chairman" and not a "chairwoman".  Much to the aggravation to some of the overly PC people in the office. :3

Consider the difference between being civil and being Politically Correct.

Political Correctness is mechanism for controlling speech and suppressing dissent.  It is tyrannical in nature and intent.  It should be resisted at every turn. 

Mock it if you can, most users are narcissists and ridicule cuts them to the quick. They're very sensitive to any hint of criticism, even while being very critical of others.

Kage

Quote from: inuhanyo on June 20, 2009, 12:26:12 AM
Those who are overly PC are quick to jump on words, and many times others who use said words, that imply a specific gender to a title.  "Chairwoman" for example is a made up word, because it suddenly became very unPC to refer to them as the "chairman" even though that would be the correct (historically speaking) gender neutral title to use.  I've known of a few women who did know about this and would often correct people say they are the "chairman" and not a "chairwoman".  Much to the aggravation to some of the overly PC people in the office. :3

Consider the difference between being civil and being Politically Correct.

Political Correctness is mechanism for controlling speech and suppressing dissent.  It is tyrannical in nature and intent.  It should be resisted at every turn. 

Mock it if you can, most users are narcissists and ridicule cuts them to the quick. They're very sensitive to any hint of criticism, even while being very critical of others.

You are of course talking to someone what wears spikes, chains, and tends to die his hair weird colors when he gets the chance.  If for no other reason than to get a rise out of people. :3

Trust me, if I think someone is being obnoxious with it, I'll find every possible way I can to irritate them. :3
I am the Patron Saint of Mediocrity.

Garsemor

In case that we can't decide if we should refer to Fi as he, she or it, I refer to living non-gender based being's in RPG games as to "hsi". I just combine the 3.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Kirishala

Quote from: Garsemor on June 21, 2009, 12:21:38 PMIn case that we can't decide if we should refer to Fi as he, she or it, I use to refer to living non-gender being's RPG games as to hsi. I just combine the 3.
My personal preference for referring to genderless individuals or individuals of an unknown or non-standard gender is to use Spivak pronouns, they are fairly well established (at least as well as any of the other English gender free pronouns) and are easy to use.

Garsemor

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 21, 2009, 03:45:47 PM
... hsit? I think you typoed...
I didn't do a Typo. I use H(e),S(he),(t)I. It's easy to remember and fun to pronounce.

AmigaDragon

- The snarky response would be to use the term "dudette".   The snarky response is always my personal favorite.  >:]
- Try and switch to using the word "you" if you are interested in being PC as well as more professional sounding over all. :P

A couple non-masculine (decades old) options I haven't noticed in this discussion are "babe" or "chick", but then those have their own objections much of the time (not that I ever use them in general conversation).

Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 19, 2009, 10:58:58 PM
Of cause, that's because people tend to be human-biased.

Because people tend to be human-based.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

ooklah

Mink talks like my roommate.... nonstop....  >_<
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."