12/06/09 [Abel #58] - Chatterbox

Started by MT Hazard, June 12, 2009, 05:26:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsunari

Maybe she is out to manipulate and use him?

kaskar

8)  Maybe a hamburger in her mouth would shut her up ...
8) Just Hanging Around ...

Keleth

Help! I'm gay!

Garsemor

Her is something no one has brought up. Abel has a "BOOK" so I presume that this is still before the great SAIA library prank.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

LionHeart

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 12, 2009, 04:01:51 PM... since Amber's design tends to stick breasts on females no matter what target species they are.

Well, of course. How else are people going to know that they're female?  :P
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

MT Hazard

Quote from: LionHeart on June 13, 2009, 07:37:38 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on June 12, 2009, 04:01:51 PM... since Amber's design tends to stick breasts on females no matter what target species they are.

Well, of course. How else are people going to know that they're female?  :P

Given that people can fail to recognise female of their own species at times I think It's quite justified.

obligatory tv tropes link http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NonMammalMammaries 
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on June 13, 2009, 08:12:08 AM
Given that people can fail to recognise female of their own species at times I think It's quite justified.
That and determining the sex of something like an Osprey often requires a DNA test.
Since some people appear to be confused, let me make this clear - am not criticising Amber's design, I am just saying why it's a fair bet that Mink is a guy.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

undadog

I do remember Amber pointing out that cubi can also have a third gender that sit some ware between male and female.  :)

Tapewolf

Quote from: ciesar on June 13, 2009, 11:46:25 AM
I do remember Amber pointing out that cubi can also have a third gender that sit some ware between male and female.  :)

Good catch - I'd clean forgotten that.

It's referred to here:  http://nice.llearch.net/dmfa_forum2229.htm#ref33

...though my guess is it's a mythos thing rather than a 'Cubi thing per se.  Though even that raises questions which may not make for polite discussion.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 12, 2009, 04:01:51 PM
Quote from: Forycles on June 12, 2009, 03:58:10 PM
I actually thought Fi was a guy until recently.
Amber always refers to Fi as 'it' since warp-aci are genderless.  The Radio Project has always voiced Fi as female, but that's not necessarily correct.

Actually, Amber has on several occasions referred to Fi as "he". I recall asking about that once, however, and she explained it away as generic third person pronoun rather than an indication of gender. Regardless, Fi usually acts like a boy, so we can still sorta think of it as male despite belonging to a sexless species. :animesweat

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 13, 2009, 01:18:38 PM
...though my guess is it's a mythos thing rather than a 'Cubi thing per se.  Though even that raises questions which may not make for polite discussion.

Or perhaps it's just a recognition of the... er... creativity of the furry fandom? >:]

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

GundamDragon

The make-up is manly a fer die or poder that will hide  the clan mark. some acters use something like that to hid tatos when it would be seen by the viewers (have a half sister that dose make-up for tv)

Michael Chandra

I now understand what Abel has against roommates. How many did he go through again?

Garsemor

Quote from: Michael Chandra on June 14, 2009, 07:53:19 PM
I now understand what Abel has against roommates. How many did he go through again?

He took out at least three (see: http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_425.php).

Psaakyrn

Random thought: Did Abel learn his hearts from Mink?
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Quote from: Netrogo on June 12, 2009, 08:26:46 AM
I have quite a few friends like that, I can never figure out a way to shut them up that doesn't involve ignoring them or blatantly just yelling at them to can it.

Always remember, it could be worse.

Buhamet

Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on June 17, 2009, 11:56:21 AM

I didn't think that was possible......

after reading the reference from tapewolf about the multi-genders, I think it's fair to say that Mink won't be the only non-default-gender cubi that will appear in the comnic, either Abel's story or the main Comic........... although who it is next is anyone's guess

Lucheek

Quote from: Buhamet on June 18, 2009, 01:41:26 PM

I didn't think that was possible......

after reading the reference from tapewolf about the multi-genders, I think it's fair to say that Mink won't be the only non-default-gender cubi that will appear in the comnic, either Abel's story or the main Comic........... although who it is next is anyone's guess
But what pronoun shall we use? Has Amber provided one, or are we just going to be "he/she/it"?

Mao

Stick with 'it'.  There are many cultures that find it offensive to differentiate folks by their gender.

Buhamet

"It" is probably more suitable for the situation.............. but this topic does create a whole new world of grammatical problems to be solved. How do you refer to the "it" version of "dude" for example? "Dudit?"

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Buhamet on June 18, 2009, 02:47:32 PM
"It" is probably more suitable for the situation.............. but this topic does create a whole new world of grammatical problems to be solved. How do you refer to the "it" version of "dude" for example? "Dudit?"

Considering that the initial word is gender biased, you're probably out of luck trying to find a direct conversion. Better off trying to find other words to replace the meaning/intent (I'd go with "peep" myself). But frankly, I don't see any significant grammatical issues.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Scarydragon

I always thought 'dude' was a gender neutral term. I've heard lots of people refer to both women and men as 'dude'. I imagine in a world that's full of shape-shifting, zany creatures, and sexually ambiguous characters, 'dude' is a genderless pronoun.
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Scarydragon on June 19, 2009, 01:13:07 AM
I always thought 'dude' was a gender neutral term. I've heard lots of people refer to both women and men as 'dude'. I imagine in a world that's full of shape-shifting, zany creatures, and sexually ambiguous characters, 'dude' is a genderless pronoun.

Even though I've heard it referring to members of both sexes (and more power to words that apply equally well to anyone, I say), it still makes me think "male."

That even weirded me out when I first read another comic and the main character's friend called her "dude"--I thought he was mistaking her for someone else he knew (who was male)....

<.<

>.>

Mao

I've always felt 'dude' was gender neutral, but lately I've encountered some folks who have a stick up their arse on the matter.  In every usage I've ever encountered of it, it was genderless but then others have gotten in my face saying they resent being called a male, and that I should respect their interpretation of the word.  Course that isn't fair to me because it doesn't respect my interpretation of it, but I digress.

Scarydragon

Didn't you know that having a penis turns all of your wordly interpretations a misogynistic attack on females? :P
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

Kage

Alright, can't leave it alone, if someone hates me for it, well then poo.  :P

Those who are overly PC are quick to jump on words, and many times others who use said words, that imply a specific gender to a title.  "Chairwoman" for example is a made up word, because it suddenly became very unPC to refer to them as the "chairman" even though that would be the correct (historically speaking) gender neutral title to use.  I've known of a few women who did know about this and would often correct people say they are the "chairman" and not a "chairwoman".  Much to the aggravation to some of the overly PC people in the office. :3

English has historically used the masculine pronouns for gender neutral situations when referring to a subject of unknown gender.  "The customer bought his food and left."

As of about the 15th century other pronouns were conceived of that had a less specific gender, such as "them", "they", "their".  And very recently there is more substitution of the use of the word "one" to refer to a specific, but unknown, person.  "One should write their name on the top of the paper."

As for the use of the word "dude," your right, they really shouldn't get all that upset about it, the word has lost a lot of its gender specific meaning over the years.  Just like several other words have, "tailor" vs. "seamstress", "cigar" vs. "cigarettes", for example.

Here's what you can do in such a situation:
- The snarky response would be to use the term "dudette".   The snarky response is always my personal favorite.  >:]
- Try and switch to using the word "you" if you are interested in being PC as well as more professional sounding over all. :P

More details are on Wikipedia (of course).
I am the Patron Saint of Mediocrity.

Mao

Or I start referring to them as an 'it'.  This works too.  Fits in with their desire to not be judged/defined by their gender imho.. but that seems to get them just as riled up.  It's apparently rude to apply this to another person, something I've never heard nor seen before.  At this point I just assume they were born with a stick up their arse and move on.  If they get too snippy I just ignore them.

Turnsky

Quote from: GundamDragon on June 13, 2009, 07:52:50 PM
The make-up is manly a fer die or poder that will hide  the clan mark. some acters use something like that to hid tatos when it would be seen by the viewers (have a half sister that dose make-up for tv)

wow... just wow...

i think my spellcheck just committed suicide.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

LoneHowler

My earliest encounter with the word Dude was in "Dude Ranch" where tourists get to pretend they are cowboys. So my interpretation of Dude mean tourist till the definition changed in the late 80's early 90's where it was a mere expression. so it's always been gender neutral for me. 
Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better
MY warp aci crappy photoshop I wish I had my tablet working
My Yappty thanks Silver :)
(hmm my sig needs updating. eeeeeh I'll do it later 07/29/06)

Aisha deCabre

I honestly don't think using "dude" is such a big deal.  I've been called that by a friend of mine from New Zealand and another from Scotland; usually it seems it's a gender-neutral thing, though I've grown up myself with it mostly being directed towards guys.

I also use it in my regular tongue anyway, usually as an exclamation if I'm surprised ("Duuude, you're kidding!") like a substitute for "daaang!" more than addressing somebody.  At one point my dad wondered aloud if a college graduate should be so informal.

Hell-O?  College kid?  :3

Quote from: Netrogo on June 12, 2009, 08:26:46 AM
I have quite a few friends like that, I can never figure out a way to shut them up that doesn't involve ignoring them or blatantly just yelling at them to can it.

...Yikes. o.o  Reminds me of my step-grandmother, kinda.  When we went to visit her and my grandfather during a road trip to Nebraska, the three of us were trying to watch TV in the den.  We were right in front of her, faces turned to the TV, yet she was still talking like we were listening, without a pause to catch our attention.  Seems she knows us too well, as we actually were trying to listen to her -and- the TV. XD

Very sweet person though, we love her.  But I'm glad not to have run into any REALLY determined chatterboxes in my life, being the quiet solitary type. xP
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.