06/08/09 [DMFA #1013] - Pip v. Fi, part 2

Started by Jairus, June 07, 2009, 10:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucheek

I think he just changed his outfit because he wanted to. I think Abel has some intrest in fashion/clothing, so it doesn't seem weird to me he'd be one of those people who change multiple times a day. Or, he might sleep in jeans; so when we saw him earlier, he was "in his pajamas."

LigerJet

Wait, what life or death situtation are we talking about here?  I'm looking at 993 and 1006...don't see any mentions there.

Tapewolf

Quote from: LigerJet on June 08, 2009, 04:17:39 PM
Wait, what life or death situtation are we talking about here?  I'm looking at 993 and 1006...don't see any mentions there.

It's not in the text as such.  It's just that Abel doesn't usually overreact.
AFAIK the only time he's ever panicked like that was when he saw Pyroduck and assumed he was there to kill Dan.
One conclusion is that he's seen a threat to Dan's life and possibly his own.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

OminousShadow

So Fi becoming huge due to some kind of intense surge of magical power going to Dan because of Grandma Cyra visiting him in his dreams is a danger to both their lives? And I say that it caused in intense surge of magical power because Dan's Clan Symbol appeared after he woke up when it was never there before.
97% of teens would cry if they saw Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen from Twilight) standing on top of a skyscraper, about to jump. If you're one of the 3% who would sit there eating popcorn screaming "DO A FLIP, YOU SPARKLY (I am not smart enough to use polite words)!" then copy and paste.

Scarydragon

If Abel saw a threat to himself or Dan, I kinda doubt he would immediately go out and get a green vest and something in an orange bag. More likely he would bring back something more impressive.... like Fa'Lina.
His reaction was probably nothing more than surprise at watching Fi grow 10 times bigger, or perhaps knowledge of the ramifications of a warp-aci 'growing up'. Maybe there is a "Warp-aci for dummies" book in the bag. :P
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

Tapewolf

Quote from: OminousShadow on June 08, 2009, 06:02:20 PM
So Fi becoming huge due to some kind of intense surge of magical power going to Dan because of Grandma Cyra visiting him in his dreams is a danger to both their lives?

That's one interpretation, yes.  It's not implausible.  Fi is at least partly bound to Cyra clan so it may respond to changes to Dan's status within the clan, especially if Fa'Lina has bound it to him in particular (warp-aci are bound to a summoner and disappear if their summoner dies).

It is known that any Dragon who realises Dan is from Cyra is liable to kill him, and now he has a big fat Cyra mark on his shoulder this is, as Origin Systems would have put it, "a problem".  Abel himself is a marked man if Hizell works out that he exists, so Dan's discovery might easily bring him down too.

Alternatively, it may be that whatever happened to Fi disrupted the Cyra Clan cloaking on Dan (see 422) making him visible.

However, that Abel has gone to fetch things makes me wonder if it is the clan mark and he's rushed off to get some fur dye or something  :P

QuoteAnd I say that it caused in intense surge of magical power because Dan's Clan Symbol appeared after he woke up when it was never there before.
Strictly it appeared during the battle with DP.

Brunhidden

why would he have any need to get fur dye? seriously? from what i gather the only thing that will cover a clan mark is exceptionally thick clothing. if abel gets fur dye its for the purposes of a prank or making jyjy look pretty

now i must wonder the strength of fi's bond to the clan...
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Kabbalist

Hmm... I honestly hadn't considered that Hizell or others might still be trying to hunt down Abel after all these years. Considering the creatures in question, though, my concept of "a long time" may not hold much weight.

Also: being a 'Cubi of a clan with a dragon hunt on it's trail does give a whole new meaning to the idea of being "a marked man," given that the mark in question is one of the few (or only) features that a 'Cubi can't magically disguise or shapeshift away. This just keeps getting more and more interesting.

Oh, and about Fi and Pip: Sorry, but that's the only way a direct confrontation could possibly end. The little gold drake is very nasty in a fight, and chances are good that his capacity for intelligent combat (and maybe his power) is greater than anyone but Mab has guessed.
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_847.php

OminousShadow

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 08, 2009, 06:15:30 PM
Quote from: OminousShadow on June 08, 2009, 06:02:20 PM
So Fi becoming huge due to some kind of intense surge of magical power going to Dan because of Grandma Cyra visiting him in his dreams is a danger to both their lives?

That's one interpretation, yes.  It's not implausible.  Fi is at least partly bound to Cyra clan so it may respond to changes to Dan's status within the clan, especially if Fa'Lina has bound it to him in particular (warp-aci are bound to a summoner and disappear if their summoner dies).

It is known that any Dragon who realises Dan is from Cyra is liable to kill him, and now he has a big fat Cyra mark on his shoulder this is, as Origin Systems would have put it, "a problem".  Abel himself is a marked man if Hizell works out that he exists, so Dan's discovery might easily bring him down too.

Alternatively, it may be that whatever happened to Fi disrupted the Cyra Clan cloaking on Dan (see 422) making him visible.

However, that Abel has gone to fetch things makes me wonder if it is the clan mark and he's rushed off to get some fur dye or something  :P

QuoteAnd I say that it caused in intense surge of magical power because Dan's Clan Symbol appeared after he woke up when it was never there before.
Strictly it appeared during the battle with DP.

Ah. I never noticed that. Probably because it was a small detail on his shoulder and I was more interested in them trying to kill each other. I retract on it showing up because of Cyra and change it to being because he was using mind reading and his Cubi Wing Tentacles a whole lot.
97% of teens would cry if they saw Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen from Twilight) standing on top of a skyscraper, about to jump. If you're one of the 3% who would sit there eating popcorn screaming "DO A FLIP, YOU SPARKLY (I am not smart enough to use polite words)!" then copy and paste.

GundamDragon

LOL Fi got its tail biten again.

score

Pip 2

Fi 0

Fi quit while you still have a tale. lol

OminousShadow

Quote from: GundamDragon on June 08, 2009, 09:27:25 PM
LOL Fi got its tail biten again.

score

Pip 2

Fi 0

Fi quit while you still have a tale. lol

At least he didn't hide in a random magically attuned object.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Has Abel seen Dan's new clan mark? There's no indication he got a close look at Dan after the fight. He might have just gotten the info through word of mouth. (Which is part of the reason I think whatever  Abel is up to has more to do with Fi's expansion than it does with Dan's emerging clan mark.)
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

AmigaDragon

Whether Abel saw it yet on Dan or not, he already knows what clan he's in because he knows Destania.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Brunhidden on June 08, 2009, 06:26:34 PM
why would he have any need to get fur dye? seriously? from what i gather the only thing that will cover a clan mark is exceptionally thick clothing. if abel gets fur dye its for the purposes of a prank or making jyjy look pretty

Any clothing, actually. The only clothing that won't is magically induced clothing, or shape-shifting. Or so I gather.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on June 08, 2009, 10:26:10 PM
Has Abel seen Dan's new clan mark? There's no indication he got a close look at Dan after the fight. He might have just gotten the info through word of mouth. (Which is part of the reason I think whatever  Abel is up to has more to do with Fi's expansion than it does with Dan's emerging clan mark.)

They might be linked.  Whatever Abel was saying, it looked like it was something he recognised but hoped it wouldn't happen yet.  And he told Fi not to let Dan leave the inn.

Quote from: Kabbalist on June 08, 2009, 08:48:10 PM
Hmm... I honestly hadn't considered that Hizell or others might still be trying to hunt down Abel after all these years. Considering the creatures in question, though, my concept of "a long time" may not hold much weight.
Yeah.   From what the Demonology says it looks like most Dragons are older than the 'Cubi race, so 400 years is not that long a wait to 'collect the set' as it were...

Artanis

See, Fi, while you are cool, you can never approach the awesome that is Pip.

On that note, I think I speak for many of us when I say "Story needs more Pip!"

llearch n'n'daCorna

... No, that would be an unwarranted assumption. Personally, I feel Amber manages just well as she does without us offering helpful "advice"

More Pip would ruin the balance she has. Now, she might include more Pip at the moment, if she feels it appropriate, but I think we're still waiting on figuring out what Mab and Pip have stewed up between them. Finding out that Pip can actually talk is ground-breaking enough; I think Amber will leave us waiting for a while before we find anything further out. So Pip is likely to be no more than a bit part for the next, oh, hundred strips or so. If not more.

*cough* Sorry, I think I digressed a bit...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Scarydragon

Quote from: AmigaDragon on June 09, 2009, 02:24:58 AM
Whether Abel saw it yet on Dan or not, he already knows what clan he's in because he knows Destania.

True, but now Abel has to worry about others seeing and recognizing Dan's clan mark. This will make Dan even harder to hide from the mystery people out to hurt/maim/kill him.
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

Kabbalist

Quote from: Scarydragon on June 09, 2009, 06:54:14 AM

True, but now Abel has to worry about others seeing and recognizing Dan's clan mark. This will make Dan even harder to hide from the mystery people out to hurt/maim/kill him.

I can just see/hear Abel's line of thought already: Why, oh why did I make that shirt of his sleeveless? The robe had perfectly good sleeves, but I just had to go for the tank top look...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kabbalist on June 09, 2009, 08:25:00 AM
I can just see/hear Abel's line of thought already: Why, oh why did I make that shirt of his sleeveless? The robe had perfectly good sleeves, but I just had to go for the tank top look...

Good point.  What will Wildy do if Abel modifies the robe again?

Corgatha Taldorthar

Based on past experience? Beat Dan up some more. She's already ticked that he didn't invite her to beat up Regina.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Naldru

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on June 09, 2009, 08:36:15 AM
Based on past experience? Beat Dan up some more. She's already ticked that he didn't invite her to beat up Regina.
I think that she would go after both Dan and Abel.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Naldru on June 09, 2009, 12:46:12 PM

She didn't last time. Kind of ignored him actually :P

Aganerral

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 08, 2009, 04:35:12 PM
It's not in the text as such.  It's just that Abel doesn't usually overreact.

Yes, cubi don't over-react.  Ever.   :)

OminousShadow

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on June 09, 2009, 12:52:25 PM
Quote from: Naldru on June 09, 2009, 12:46:12 PM

She didn't last time. Kind of ignored him actually :P

She had yet to meet Abel and didn't know he modified it. Though it would be pleasing to see Abel get so freaked out and scared that Wildy replaces Alexsi as the #1 scariest thing he has ever seen.

bdplague

Delicious marshmallow Fi is delicious. :3

Jer-oh-me

Quote from: bdplague on June 09, 2009, 11:52:17 PM
Delicious marshmallow Fi is delicious. :3

Great, now I want marshmallows, and I have none.

Kirishala

Quote from: OminousShadow on June 09, 2009, 11:51:53 PMShe had yet to meet Abel and didn't know he modified it. Though it would be pleasing to see Abel get so freaked out and scared that Wildy replaces Alexsi as the #1 scariest thing he has ever seen.
Alexi is only number three on Abel's list of scariest things ever, and with competition from Ink, Oolong, Fa'Lina (especially her happy face), and who knows what else at SAIA getting any higher than that is going to be hard.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Kirishala on June 12, 2009, 08:41:05 AM
Quote from: OminousShadow on June 09, 2009, 11:51:53 PMShe had yet to meet Abel and didn't know he modified it. Though it would be pleasing to see Abel get so freaked out and scared that Wildy replaces Alexsi as the #1 scariest thing he has ever seen.
Alexi is only number three on Abel's list of scariest things ever, and with competition from Ink, Oolong, Fa'Lina (especially her happy face), and who knows what else at SAIA getting any higher than that is going to be hard.

Don't forget the girl in the home-ec class. Possibly the Professor there is worse than any of the students. And then there's Destania.