out of commission / back in action?

Started by Saist, February 27, 2009, 06:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saist

not really sure how to start this actually. I don't really like "feel sorry for" type posts, but that's pretty much what this is, and it's something I really would rather not talk about at all. After getting caught by Drath on AIM a couple nights ago who commented on the sudden disappearance , figured I should at least say something.  For those who've spoken with me before, I've mentioned some nerve problems I had a few years back. Short version, the problem resurfaced at the end of last year, and my legs muscles attempted to rip themselves apart again, causing yet another round of Flexeril filled nights along with other muscle relaxants and pain-killers.

The sudden medical expenses put a dent... okay, wiped out the money I had been saving up for AC. Good news is, I do have a relatively steady job with Adventure-Crossing, and should be in a position to hit up Anthrocon. I'm still planning on doing a hotel room, Wednesday-Monday, but I'm fuzzy on whether or not Courtyard by Marriot requires a down-payment or advance before-hand.

Tapewolf

Well, good luck.  I hope you can make it - I'll be bringing your SD card if you want it back  :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Saist

llearch n'n'daCorna

-ow-

So... you now need transport as well, huh? :-/

Are you more or less ok? As in, any injuries you have are transitory, and will heal in short order? Or are there more serious things going on?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Saist

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 17, 2009, 07:07:47 PM
-ow-

So... you now need transport as well, huh? :-/

Are you more or less ok? As in, any injuries you have are transitory, and will heal in short order? Or are there more serious things going on?

am I okay? I just wrecked my car... OF COURSE I'M NOT BLOODY OKAY.

right now my used car options are a little slim. I have a line on a '96 Chevy Beretta for around $1400 US...

If anthrocon winds up still being in the picture for me, more than likely FoxCat and I will be taking both our car(s). (presuming I wind up with the Beretta)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Saist on March 17, 2009, 08:38:06 PM
am I okay? I just wrecked my car... OF COURSE I'M NOT BLOODY OKAY.

Okay, I think I asked for that. Let me be more specific. Are you injured physically, as well as shaken up? Other than your on-going leg issues, I mean. Is anyone else injured as a result of this? Has this aggravated the aforementioned issues?

You know, the usual checks done by friends when someone gets into trouble. We care, etc.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... ok, I have to wonder if that's legal. "fit for purpose" applies, and that car doesn't sound fit for any sort of purpose at all. :-/

Saist

lets just say that the ownership of the Tahoe was and is an extremely awkward family situation, and as noted in the post, I didn't, and won't, see any money from the insurance company for a replacement car.

Combine that with a father who seriously believes that $100 cars still exist and that anything can be fixed up...

and my complete lack of car mechanical knowledge... and... yeah, I'm in the spot I'm almost begging.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I was talking about the one you bought, not the one that was crashed on you.

You have my sympathy, there. No money, sadly, and I would if I had any to spare, but since I'm out of work and stuff... :-/

Turnsky

Quote from: Saist on April 03, 2009, 08:23:32 PM
lets just say that the ownership of the Tahoe was and is an extremely awkward family situation, and as noted in the post, I didn't, and won't, see any money from the insurance company for a replacement car.

Combine that with a father who seriously believes that $100 cars still exist and that anything can be fixed up...

and my complete lack of car mechanical knowledge... and... yeah, I'm in the spot I'm almost begging.

my advice would be to start hunting around local wrecking yards for cheap parts, if you need completely new brakes (calipers and all) this may be your best bet, some wrecking yards do sell reconditioned parts, and even offer to let you trade in your old, defunct parts in exchange for a bit of a discount.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Saist

I've gotten very well acquainted with NAPA and Pull-apart

there's been followup entries on blogger and pictures of the beretta.

Also, although I think I communicated this to Kenji... but I'm not certain, but AC is completely out of the picture after all of the problems I've had.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... I've got to say, I'm more interested in the Intel stories than the car stories, even though it's great to hear you're getting places. ;-]