[Audio] The DMFA Radio Project's 3rd full release: Return of Dark Pegasus pt.1

Started by Tapewolf, October 03, 2009, 02:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Okay, this is a full-cast recording from DMFA's "Return of Dark Pegasus" arc.  So far it only runs from 858-907, but unless something terrible happens (e.g. losing our voice for Dan) we should have the rest of it done eventually, likely in two more parts.

Here are the download links, but be aware that it is about 35 megabytes in size and 31 minutes long!

Here is the download:

(Main site):  return_of_dark_pegasus_pt1

(llearch's site:)  return_of_dark_pegasus_pt1

(Mirror): return_of_dark_pegasus_pt1

(Tezkat's site:) return_of_dark_pegasus_pt1

...for people who don't want to sit down to a whole half-hour, the intro is here as a sort of teaser:
Intro only (1.6MB)

Thanks once again to everyone who has contributed to the project.

ERRATA:
Slight fluff on Abel's lines.  Poor sound quality in some source material.
I also omitted some of Dan's narration - part of this was accidental, but to be honest I think it would break the flow somewhat.
The ending credits are a bit too loud.

I would also be happier if it was mastered, but that's liable to be a bit expensive for this project.  If I can get hold of a noise gate I might give it a go myself - attempting to do it in Ardour and Audacity has so far given me pretty poor results.  What you're getting here is pretty much straight off the master tape.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 03, 2009, 02:37:57 PM
Which would you rather we hit, and do you want another mirror?

That would be nice.  So far I'm at about 50% bandwidth on it-he.org, so that should be good for now.  If it looks like it's going to go overboard, I'll disable that one.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 03, 2009, 02:48:00 PM
That would be nice.  So far I'm at about 50% bandwidth on it-he.org, so that should be good for now.  If it looks like it's going to go overboard, I'll disable that one.

http://llearch.net/misc/tw/return_of_dark_pegasus_pt1.mp3

HTH, HAND. Try not to suck down more than about 80G or so. ;-]

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 03, 2009, 02:57:08 PM
HTH, HAND. Try not to suck down more than about 80G or so. ;-]

Thanks very much.  If it did, that would probably mean my own site - first in the list - was 10x over quota)  :B

llearch n'n'daCorna

Welcome.

Incidentally, Graz in panel 1 of strip 890, and Graz in panel 2 of the same strip, sound like different people.

Other than that, you might want to quote D.M.F.A. dot I.T hyphen H.E dot org, instead of the way you have. Other commentary may come later...

Baal Hadad

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 03, 2009, 06:04:00 PM
Welcome.

Incidentally, Graz in panel 1 of strip 890, and Graz in panel 2 of the same strip, sound like different people.

Other than that, you might want to quote D.M.F.A. dot I.T hyphen H.E dot org, instead of the way you have. Other commentary may come later...

Um...I don't hear that at all.  That was me both times, and I used my own voice each time (meaning I didn't affect a manner of speech either time)....  :S

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 03, 2009, 06:04:00 PM
Maybe you should have pointed that out in 2006, the first time it was done?   >:3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Tezkat

I haven't had the chance to listen to it yet, but if y'all need another mirror, I've got it up on my site as well. I should have more than enough bandwidth to spare.

(Fun fact: My "Disasters" mirror gets a few dozen downloads per week, only one or two of which come from the Radio Project site. The rest come from some Chinese MP3 search engine. Lord knows what they think they're downloading... :animesweat)
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on October 04, 2009, 08:28:31 AM
I haven't had the chance to listen to it yet, but if y'all need another mirror, I've got it up on my site as well. I should have more than enough bandwidth to spare.

Thanks!  How 'temp' is that, though?  Do you want me to add it to the links on the site?

Lysander

Oh, I very much look forward to listening while reading (am downloading now). The Radio Project is a great project indeed.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

Sprocketsdance

Oh wow, it's so good!!!  :boogie Man.. everyone just sounds so cool!!! I think it came together very, very nicely Tapewolf  :3 great job!

ooklah

I've listened to the cast, and that is an awesome amount of effort and time all of you put into it.
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tezkat on October 04, 2009, 08:28:31 AM

(Fun fact: My "Disasters" mirror gets a few dozen downloads per week, only one or two of which come from the Radio Project site. The rest come from some Chinese MP3 search engine. Lord knows what they think they're downloading... :animesweat)

China, huh?  Odds are they're probably checking it for any sign of political discussion to decide whether or not to block DMFA with The Great Firewall of China. :giggle

I enjoyed listening to this and flipping through the comic while doing so.

Maybe someday I might be able to contribute one of my unique voices to a minor character.
I can ensure good quality recordings within my walk-in closet that's so full of clothes and crap its sound and echo proof.
Unfortunately, I can't likely ensure recordings outside of holidays, since my chemical engineering major keeps me busy.
So I'll just sit back and listen to the great voices of others.

I swear, Tape, you could probably do a spot-on impersonation of Bakura from Yu-Gi-Oh.

Icon by Sunblink

ooklah

yay! now that I've brewed over it for like.. two days trying to figure out why I don't like it. I've figured it out!

As a radio broadcast, it fails miserably and horribly, and I can't stand listening to it cause it makes no sense.

As an audio book, it's really good! it is enjoyable. Sure, it can't quite stand on it's own to feet, but with the comic on hand to help prop it up, it's rather fun hearing voices go with them.

I just had to change what's it's being called in my head!
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Tapewolf

Quote from: ooklah on October 09, 2009, 03:26:41 AM
As an audio book, it's really good! it is enjoyable. Sure, it can't quite stand on it's own to feet, but with the comic on hand to help prop it up, it's rather fun hearing voices go with them.

The Youtube versions tend to be more accessible, yes.  I'm not sure we'll have it ready this year, it depends how much work has to be done.  There is a slim possibility of getting the strips without the dialog, which would save a hell of a lot of redrawing work that had to be done in WFH and Disasters.  I want to see how that pans out before I commit to anything.

Baal Hadad

yay! now that I've brewed over it for like.. two days trying to figure out why I don't like it. I've figured it out!

As a radio broadcast, it fails miserably and horribly, and I can't stand listening to it cause it makes no sense.

From what you've described, the Slightly Damned Radio Project probably better qualifies as an actual radio broadcast.  It has a narrator and added lines to make sense of parts that are too visual.

Tezkat

Finally got around to listening to this release. Awesome work, everyone!  :mowcookie

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 04, 2009, 08:55:09 AM
Thanks!  How 'temp' is that, though?  Do you want me to add it to the links on the site?

Temp as in "Tezkat is too lazy to sort this stuff"? :animesweat Most of the files in that directory, including the "Disasters" mirror, have been there for years...

That's true, although I wouldn't call it an audiobook so much as the sound track to a video that doesn't exist yet. The DMFA Radio Project doesn't always work as a standalone because it follows the comic so closely and often fails to provide proper aural context for the action. Some of that can be fixed easily with a few sound effects. Take the final scene in strip #907, for instance; it seems a bit sterile without frantic running sounds. Things like the scene transitions are harder to handle without actually adding material, although some of it can be accomplished with immersive backgrounds and careful scoring.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on October 11, 2009, 01:38:14 PM
Take the final scene in strip #907, for instance; it seems a bit sterile without frantic running sounds.

Yeah, you cannot run in this house, there's not enough room.  If someone can contribute some well-recorded copyright-free running sounds I'd love to have some just for occasions like that.